Talk

Advanced search

My rights?AIBU

(21 Posts)
IloveOreossx Wed 10-Dec-14 01:58:40

Hi, Surfing through fb a few weeks ago (On a selling page) and someone was offering microbead hair extensions, theyre little beads attached to bits of hair and the beads are clamped to your "real" Hair. I Messaged the girl doing them and asked about them then got her phone number and called her booking an appt for 18" Full head extensions for a discount price (Christmas discount) Of £150.
I thought it was great. Anyhow, she is mobile, so she came to my home and took a deposit of £80 to go toward the cost of my hair and secure my appointment. She returned last Thursday to fit the hair. She seemed to have done a pretty good job with them. They felt secure and couldn't be seen, they were blended very well with my real hair! Friday morning (next day) I brushed my hair out and 2 of the beads (With the hair attached) Fell out! I called the woman, she seemed very apologetic, said it was normal for you to lose a few over time but not straight away and she'd come back out and refit them for me, I told her not to worry about it as it was only 2 beads and out of the 190 she had put in my hair they really didn't make a huge difference. By Sunday morning, out of 190 strands I had 5 left in so had to force them out with pliers (As i looked weird with a bob and then some long hair at the back!). I called the hairdresser again and told her what had happened she said "Oh my. I'm so sorry. would you like me to come back out and refit another set? Free of charge of course. I don't know why thats happened I feel terrible" I said no, I just want my money back. She went silent for a second and told me she was flipping through her calendar to see when she was free and had childcare (Shes a new mum) To come so far away (As im in south wales and shes in south england, an hour away). I could practically hear her trembling on the otherside of the phone, Her voice was shaking as she spoke to me. She agreed to come out this week (Today/Yesterday) And refund me 130, keeping the petrol fee but returning my deposit. I've called her phone 3 times, Rejected. I've text her asking if shes coming, Ignored.
What are my rights? Am I entitled to a refund? Who do I contact if I am to take things further? Also what will be done (As she works mobile, Not sure if shes even insured)? Should I even bother? On the one hand I'm earning a very high salary and own my own home and shes a mum of a 5week old baby and clearly not very well off if shes taking jobs so far away and unable to take more than a months maternity leave but on the other hand I feel really cheated and ripped off... Advice?

KingJoffreysHasABigWhiteBeard Wed 10-Dec-14 02:26:18

Do you have an invoice with her business name/address?

IloveOreossx Wed 10-Dec-14 02:37:42

No invoice so don't know her address and only know her first name...

WeAreEternal Wed 10-Dec-14 02:49:30

Her circumstances are not relevant, you paid for a service/product and she failed to provide what you paid for to an acceptable standard.

Obviously she did not fit the extensions properly, it sounds like the rings were not tight enough.

A few years ago I was in a similar situation, it turned out they 'extensions technician' as she called herself; was actually self taught from watching videos on YouTube and reading how to guides online, she had no training at all and didn't really know what she was doing. The extensions looked fine at first, like yours that blended well but very quickly I noticed that they were not as good as the looked. They were uncomfortable and ill fitting and were pretty badly fitted.
I was really unhappy with the awful extensions but she refused to give me a refund and just ignored me for months, in the end I had to take her to the small claims court.
You may have to do the same.

I also wouldn't be giving her petrol money, it is her mistake, you should get your whole £150 back and give her back the extensions.

IloveOreossx Wed 10-Dec-14 02:55:21

WAE, I know I may seem a soft touch but I only want the bulk of my money back, her keeping £20 for fuel (When its 80mile round trip) Isnt too unreasonable in my eyes, Everyones different though.
How much did you pay (if you dont mind me asking that is, Say so if im too nosy) and how much did you get back through the courts? Can I actually take her to court with nothing but a (very common) first name and a phone number? :/ and is it actually worth it? If I get a solicitor i'll be paying alot more than 150...

SistersOfPercy Wed 10-Dec-14 08:30:53

You need to dig out her address and send a letter before action via recorded delivery (have a Google, there are lots of template letters).
Small claims well cost you about £75 with hearing fee but you'll get all of that if you win. Did you take photos of the hair falling out to document the problem?

WeAreEternal Wed 10-Dec-14 10:09:07

You don't need a solicitor, and can't actually use one in the small claims court.

I paid £200 for the extensions and I got that back plus the amount I had to pay a real hairdresser to remove them and my court costs and travel expenses (to the court) paid.

It took a long time, I only had her name, a phone number and a general idea of where she lived from what she told me while we chatted when she was doing the extensions.
It took me months to track her down and get her address, which you need to send the letter of intent and then file the claim with the court.

At least you have access to her Facebook account to that should help massively in finding her details, most people post their entire lives on there.

IloveOreossx Wed 10-Dec-14 11:05:30

How do I find her address to send a letter? I literally don't have it and only knows where she says she lives (South england) But thats hardly exact is it! Ugh.

SistersOfPercy Wed 10-Dec-14 12:18:53

Get a friend to add her on facebook maybe and dig from there?

IloveOreossx Wed 10-Dec-14 13:27:30

SOP- I think shes deleted her account. I searched from my account and couldnt find her so assumed she had deleted me, Tried searching from my daughters and the same. Tried my partners, couldnt find her, tried on my best friends and couldnt find her. Also couldnt find her when I signed out of all accounts and tried to search. I just don't know if I should go ahead all guns blazing for a refund or just let it go, If I do decide to go in all guns blazing for the refund I've no idea how to go about it as i dont have an address to go on!

does she need to travel to refund? text her saying send a cheque / bank transfer by xxx date or you will take her to small claims court, imply you know her address without saying I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE. she is clearly out of her depth but really needs to refund.

IloveOreossx Wed 10-Dec-14 14:06:12

She doesnt know my bank details as it was paid in cash and I dont really want to give them to her however id be happy to do it via paypal. Everytime I phone now it doesnt even ring just cuts off like her phone is out of use (Off or whatever) So phoning is useless although I have text. I dont think I want to have the petrol money back, I'd feel awful for her having come out twice (Once for deposit once for fitting) and travelling a total of 160 miles AND being out of pocket. I dont want to do that to someone, I guess Im getting soft in my old age. If she refuses to answer the phone (she has) Refuses to answer her texts (She has) What can I do? All I have is a bloody phone number! No way of getting address or contacting her.

IloveOreossx Thu 11-Dec-14 19:57:19

Any ideas anyone? Still not heard a word off her.

greenfolder Thu 11-Dec-14 20:43:31

I would chalk it up to experience tbh. I can see how this has happened but in hindsight you only had a mobile number, no surname and paid in cash. Thank your lucky stars that she didn't damage your hair or injure you.

KingJoffreysHasABigWhiteBeard Thu 11-Dec-14 21:04:31

You could get a friend to call her and arrange an appointment.

Once she turns up you could be there ready with a phone and your bank card ready for her to do a transfer. Then you'll have a refund.

IloveOreossx Thu 11-Dec-14 21:07:11

Good idea KJ, might just try that....

almaradlu Thu 11-Dec-14 22:44:09

have you tried putting here telephone number into google, it might find some of her online ads

IloveOreossx Thu 11-Dec-14 23:02:09

Yes tried searching the phone number, nothings come upsad

almaradlu Thu 11-Dec-14 23:19:40

sad
what about a search on gum tree? I just did a search on there and there are quite a few on there offering the same service. Might take a while but might find her on there.

IloveOreossx Fri 12-Dec-14 00:11:46

Yes I've looked all across south wales and south west wales, none of the names, numbers etc match. She was advertising on fb selling sites but has since deactivated her account...sad

IloveOreossx Fri 12-Dec-14 00:12:03

Across south wales and south west England. Doh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now