Talk

Advanced search

worried about chemicals while breastfeeding

(15 Posts)
whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Tue 09-Dec-14 11:39:04

Went to be a model for my younger sister at her college today and she stuck some prosthetic wounds on me. After she had done it I panicked and checked the bottles and they had, silica and methyl salycalate or something in the adhesive.
Had them on for probably 15 mins.
Ds is 18 months. Will it be ok?

wonderingsoul Tue 09-Dec-14 11:40:04

Yes, it will be.

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Tue 09-Dec-14 12:06:42

No. You will become the adhesive.

not really, you'll be fine

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 09-Dec-14 12:08:47

Maybe your milk will become super-sticky and DS will remain stuck to you at his next feed FOREVER!

Or not wink

differentkindofpenguin Tue 09-Dec-14 12:32:23

Chill!!! It's fine smile

whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Tue 09-Dec-14 12:42:52

Haha ok blush

lurkerspeaks Tue 09-Dec-14 12:58:29

Ok. Let's think this through logically.

In order for the chemicals to get to you child they would need to be
1) absorbed via your skin into your blood stream
2) cross from your blood stream into your milk

The likelihood of any topically applied substance doing this in big enough quantities to cause a problem is pretty small I would have thought.

PortofinoVino Tue 09-Dec-14 13:55:08

Do you suffer generally from anxiety, because this seems rather.......um.....over the top worrying?

GailLondon Tue 09-Dec-14 14:09:48

Just because something is written as a chemical name doesn't mean it is an evil susbtance.

Silica is sand. As in the stuff you get on the beach.
Methyl salicylate is a natural substance found in many evergreen plants. It would have only been present in very very small quantities in the adhesive, nothing at all to worry about.

whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Tue 09-Dec-14 15:17:48

No not really an anxious person. The stuff did smell quite awful and was just worried about chemicals passing through to the little one. Glad I've nothing to worry aboutsmile

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Tue 09-Dec-14 15:20:00

smile

windymila Tue 09-Dec-14 15:28:32

Everything is a chemical if you look at it from the right angle. The humble banana for example.

windymila Tue 09-Dec-14 15:29:14

Whoops, that's an egg. You get the idea grin

peggyundercrackers Tue 09-Dec-14 15:55:20

its a bit strange youve picked up on this one substance to worry about. I wonder what chemicals your 18mth old has had access to that you haven't worried about?

whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Tue 09-Dec-14 16:27:59

It was just the sylica/sulicates? I remember reading somewhere that they where a no no during pregnancy so assumed the same for bfingconfused If I'm completely honest iv not a clue what most chemicals are blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now