Talk

Advanced search

To tell you to reconsider using paypal to click & collect

(15 Posts)
BerniceBroadside Tue 09-Dec-14 08:55:44

Despite the cheery paypal ads it is a complete pain in the backside. Many stores will not allow you to return items to store if you have used paypal. You can only exchange or have a giftcard, even if the item is faulty.

Only way to get a refund is to send it back via the post and wait weeks for the money to be refunded to your paypal account. You can then transfer the funds to your bank account. Complete pain in the backside and even more annoying as the items returned to store are taken to the same place as the items returned by post. No reason at all they can't at least let you return the item to store and then process the refund when the item reaches the depot. But no, you have to waste your time standing in a bloody post office queue instead.

ReindeerDontFly Tue 09-Dec-14 08:57:54

I had this issue the other week, it was a bit of a pain, will only use PayPal for things it's very unlikely I'll want to return now.

BerniceBroadside Tue 09-Dec-14 08:59:40

It really should be made clear BEFORE you purchase, but it's bloody well hidden in the t&cs.

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 09-Dec-14 09:04:59

I love PayPal and even use their mastercard.
I have had refunds without going through all that bother.
AM a huge fan, you can use it for banking functions and yet it is not a bank, no loans, no overdrafts, no bullshit.

InfinitySeven Tue 09-Dec-14 09:12:06

I've never had any trouble returning things paid for by Paypal. Stores who accept it have the interface installed, and there is a big refund button! It's really easy for them to do.

I would have refused to post anything back, and asked for them to process a refund in the correct way. If the item is faulty, you are legally entitled to a refund, and it doesn't matter which methods you used to pay.

I think you've had a really crap experience, but I wouldn't write off Paypal (although I probably wouldn't use it at that store again!)

DoubleValiumLattePlease Tue 09-Dec-14 09:16:36

I agree with Sunny. I use PayPal for everything and I have their debit card which draws only on your available PayPal balance - it's brilliant! I sell a lot online so most of my income goes via PayPal and I no longer have to tool about 'withdrawing' my balance to a bank account - which for some odd reason used to take up to 5 days when everyone knows that in reality it's instant! I can't go overdrawn so no unexpected bank charges and as long as I don't use the card at an ATM to draw cash there are no transaction charges (of course there are charges when you are paid but it's all swings and roundabouts I suppose) and I'm sure someone told me you can even get your wages paid into PayPal if you want.
I think if you get the card then you won't have the problem anymore because whenever I've needed to return something it goes back on the card at the point of return.

BerniceBroadside Tue 09-Dec-14 09:24:31

I'm not knocking paypal. I'm knocking the half baked way some stores have implemented it.

elephantspoo Tue 09-Dec-14 09:25:48

Know your consumer rights and enforce them.

BerniceBroadside Tue 09-Dec-14 09:34:44

I don't think they are breaching consumer rights though? You can have a refund, you just have to dick about queuing in the post office to get one.

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 09-Dec-14 09:36:44

well that is odd as I have never had to 'dick about in the Post Office' to get a refund, it just goes back onto my Paypal balance.

Tobyjugg Tue 09-Dec-14 09:38:26

I have used PayPal and have never had this problem. The couple of items we had to return were dealt with in the same way as any other return.

BerniceBroadside Tue 09-Dec-14 09:46:06

So which stores allow you to return to store for a refund?

DoJo Tue 09-Dec-14 09:55:31

Which stores have you used which have enforced the more roundabout system? It sounds like the problem is with them rather than with Paypal...

BerniceBroadside Tue 09-Dec-14 10:10:03

River island and house of Fraser do no allow you to return to store.

And yes, it is the stores, not paypal. I said that up thread.

SoonToBeMrsB Tue 09-Dec-14 10:31:57

This happened to me when I ordered a dress from Frasers and it took six weeks to get a refund! New Look won't let you return if you paid by paypal either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now