Talk

Advanced search

To feel pissed off dd is going to be off school today?

(33 Posts)
Lostriver Tue 09-Dec-14 05:24:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Altinkum Tue 09-Dec-14 05:39:26

Hurr1cane Tue 09-Dec-14 05:39:49

The 48 hour thing is for stomach bugs not coughing yourself sick

SunshineDaisiesButterMellow Tue 09-Dec-14 05:41:08

Is she like this only with you at home or would she make herself sick at school? If it's the former I'd send her to school.
Have done so before with my dd, she is a massive drama queen at home and would have you believe she is on her death bed but the minute she's at school she's miraculously better.

CaptainAnkles Tue 09-Dec-14 05:45:28

Being sick from coughing hard doesn't keep her off for two days, it isn't contagious like a stomach bug. Do the school know she was sick?

GinAndSonic Tue 09-Dec-14 05:47:45

Send her. I would.

Lostriver Tue 09-Dec-14 05:49:15

Lostriver Tue 09-Dec-14 05:50:59

Elllimam Tue 09-Dec-14 06:02:29

In that case all you can do is put her off being off sick again, put her to bed,

Elllimam Tue 09-Dec-14 06:04:29

Sorry posted too soon, put her to bed, don't let her have TV on, give her bland dull foods, take away her phone, she will soon get bored and next time she will maybe prefer school.

Littleturkish Tue 09-Dec-14 06:07:58

Good idea from ellimam

Pelicangiraffe Tue 09-Dec-14 06:15:59

Or even better don't feed her grinwinkhmm as obviously you shouldn't give food to someone whose throwing up

Pelicangiraffe Tue 09-Dec-14 06:16:40

Dry toast and soup for the next three days

cathpip Tue 09-Dec-14 06:18:49

When mine are ill and they are clearly faking it, they have to spend the entire time in bed and all they are allowed is a couple of books. I don't get cross, but I am quite calm in saying that the best thing for ill children is sleep, so off you go to bed! It's amazing how quickly they recover when they have no access to tv, internet or phone smile

306235388 Tue 09-Dec-14 06:20:42

100% day in bed with no entertainment or nice things to eat.

Groovee Tue 09-Dec-14 06:45:39

I'm presuming she is a teen. Switch the wifi off, remove the TV and make her stay in bed with nothing between meals snacks wise and just plain food. If she realises it's not an enjoyable time at home then she won't stay home.

DixieNormas Tue 09-Dec-14 07:54:54

I had one of these, tv off , wifi off, only toast to eat and qater. They soon get fedup

DixieNormas Tue 09-Dec-14 07:55:20

Water!

Lostriver Tue 09-Dec-14 08:04:00

tiggytape Tue 09-Dec-14 08:04:07

You don't have to keep her off just because she has been sick, you only keep them off if they have been sick due to a contagious bug or unknown sickness reason.

That's not the case. If she has actually been sick then she has to stay off school unless she is one of those children that has a non contagious medical reason that makes her sick that the school know about (car sickness for example).
Otherwise people lie.
I know OP is not lying but people find it hard to have 48 hours off at no notice and, especially if their child bounces back again, they are quick to say it was a late night milkshake, bounce on the trampoline or a hearty coughing session that caused the sickness when in truth they cannot be certain its not a bug (or they know full well it is a bug but just don't want the 48 hour hassle especially if their child is OK after a few hours).

If this is an on going problem, you could ask for a Dr's note next time you're in to confirm that DD coughs until sick and doesn't need to be off when this happens.

EveDallasRetd Tue 09-Dec-14 08:04:59

I did this with DD last week. She was actually ill - croup, but I know from experience that she can cope with it. She made a huge fuss and drama one morning, culminating in tears, so I made the decision to keep her off school. She had TV and kindle but wasn't allowed to get dressed or get out of bed. By 10am she was bored, by 1pm she wished she'd gone to school and the next morning felt absolutely fine.

I do think some of it was genuine tiredness from nighttime coughing, but mostly she thought a day off school would be fun. I made sure it wasn't.

MinceSpy Tue 09-Dec-14 08:06:37

So she's a teen who's avoiding school. Just send her in ad when the school ring explains is going on and don't be manipulated by her

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 09-Dec-14 08:13:02

I agree with mincespy actually.l

TimelyNameChangey Tue 09-Dec-14 08:19:16

If she's a teen why do you need to stay away from work? confused

Lostriver Tue 09-Dec-14 09:22:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now