Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think my fiancée is being a 'nob'

(44 Posts)
zoelikesjam Mon 08-Dec-14 20:13:09

My eldest daughter has an eating disorder(so any advice on that would be nice) but its affected her teeth an awful lot. This afternoon she had a filling, and now the anaesthetic has worn off and she is in a little bit of pain. My Fiancee is training to be a nurse, and thinks he knows everything there is to know about medication. He has just given her two spoonfuls of calpol, when he could have given her four. I would have given her four as I don't like to see them in pain. Gah! I don't know if I AIBU to be cross? Shrug I dunno, I am just stressed I guess.

gamerchick Mon 08-Dec-14 20:14:52

How old?

DoraGora Mon 08-Dec-14 20:15:44

Give her two of Ibuprofen.

zoelikesjam Mon 08-Dec-14 20:16:53

She is just ten years old Gamer.

I was thinking that Dora

DoraGora Mon 08-Dec-14 20:17:56

Training to be a nurse is a good thing. Medical people can be professional pains. That's often what they do. But, normal people also have unlimited workarounds grin

MsVestibule Mon 08-Dec-14 20:18:13

If you're unsure, you should phone NHS direct (are they still called that?) or Google the recommended dose for her age/weight.

Sorry to be pedantic, but could I just point out that he is your fiancé, not your fiancée?

ProbablyMe Mon 08-Dec-14 20:20:17

How come you didn't just give her another two spoonfuls if it was allowed and you feel it was justified? Has your fiancé locked up the Calpol?

DoraGora Mon 08-Dec-14 20:22:30

Over what time period are we talking?

woundbobbin Mon 08-Dec-14 20:26:05

She would probably be better with Ibprofen mouth pain tends to be inflammatory / neuropathic. I'd certainly give her the correct dose of paracetamol (calpol) as well if the pain is that bad. If she is able to hold the meds in her mouth they might have a local / numbing affect. Remind your DP that pain is what the patient says it is and should be effectively managed!

ihatethecold Mon 08-Dec-14 20:29:13

Why do you need to correct the op's spelling.
Who cares how she spelt fiancé?

Theorientcalf Mon 08-Dec-14 20:29:52

It depends on the strength of Calpol, but if it's the six plus then two spoons is correct, four spoons is an adult dose and your dd is 10. She should have two 5ml spoonfuls according to the instructions.

MinceSpy Mon 08-Dec-14 20:31:19

If it's Calpol 6plus then 10mls (two 5ml spoons) is the correct dose. Nurofen could be given between Calpol doses.

gamerchick Mon 08-Dec-14 20:34:05

I wouldn't give a kid that age 4 spoonfuls for any reason. Alternate if you must but don't give 4 spoonfuls of paracetamol.

zoelikesjam Mon 08-Dec-14 20:35:58

Its not 6+, its the baby one, so four spoons would be the recommended dose. Sorry, my spelling is terrible! And It auto-corrected!!!

I am just worried about her, and don't want her being in anymore pain than she should be, be it mental or psychical.

Sorry

Theorientcalf Mon 08-Dec-14 20:39:24

Why not buy the six plus? You'd be better off using the syringe anyway, it's more accurate and I'm not convinced those spoons hold 5mls.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 08-Dec-14 20:46:36

I'm more impressed that 10 year olds take calpol. I would have thought they just swallow tablets at that age, you learn something new everyday.
I had tablets from about age 5 as refused medicine.

MsVestibule Mon 08-Dec-14 20:49:08

ihate I wasn't trying to be an arse, honest blush. It just reminded me of the embarrassment my mum felt when she bought a 'To my darling fiancée' Christmas card the first year she was engaged. But you're right, it doesn't really matter. I only told another poster off yesterday for criticising somebody's grammar when it was perfectly clear what they were trying to say.

I consider myself rightly chastised

Zippidydoodah Mon 08-Dec-14 20:49:29

Not quite sure what the issue is? Couldn't you have given her two more spoonfuls?

Zippidydoodah Mon 08-Dec-14 20:50:28

Ps I'm very sorry to see that your 10 year old has such an eating disorder sadflowers

StarlingMurmuration Mon 08-Dec-14 20:51:17

If you have one of those west bags you can heat up, warm that up and use it as a compress for her sore face, I always find that helps.

FabULouse Mon 08-Dec-14 20:53:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MsVestibule Mon 08-Dec-14 20:55:47

zoe, you've said 'any advice would be nice' - is she seeing a doctor about it? Does any other poster know if there's an advice/support section on MN for this type of problem?

mummymeister Mon 08-Dec-14 20:57:20

if you can get a hot water bottle on it with warm water in this will definitely help as will getting her to bed/lying down. she could also try gargling with a little warm salt water - I have just had to do that myself because of dental pain and it does seem to help.

the eating disorder and teeth problems are very common but I assume both the dentist and GP know about this? they might advise a mouth wash a couple of times a day to counteract any stomach acid. worth asking them for some advice.

JamaicanMeEatMincePies Mon 08-Dec-14 20:58:57

I don't have anything useful to add to the thread but I do have lots of experience of (my own) eating disorder that started when I was younger than your dd. I don't really want to talk about that on thread but you can message me if you want someone to talk to. Not sure how much help I can be though, every eating disorder is different and so is the reasoning behind it.

thanks I hope she feels better soon

Choccybaby Mon 08-Dec-14 20:59:39

To be fair to him if your DD has a low weight for her age then she probably should take a lower dose. People with malnutrition are at higher risk of paracetamol toxicity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now