Talk

Advanced search

your parcel has been delivered...really?

(24 Posts)
OydNeverDeclinesGin Mon 08-Dec-14 17:43:40

Ordered bf Xmas present a week ago, was at his all weekend.
Received an email telling me my parcel had been delivered, news to me as I wasn't home! Looking at the tracking info it says it's been delivered to the porch. I live in a block of 12 flats and would never ask for a parcel to be left in the porch. Get home today and guess what? FGS!!

I want to put a really prissy notice up demanding it back but I fear;
a) I will look deranged and b) I will offend my non thieving neighbours.

Should I leave a note or not?

I will get on to the company I ordered through tom, but I have a feeling getting this sorted will be a ball ache!

Icimoi Mon 08-Dec-14 17:45:16

Put a polite notice up saying that apparently a parcel was delivered for you, please can you collect it from the kind person who took it in for you.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 08-Dec-14 17:46:42

I think a lot of the courier firms work to targets, so they mark a parcel as delivered (setting of processes where you get emails etc), but no parcel or "Sorry we missed you" note is left. I get they turn up with it tomorrow.

In the meantime, do get on to whoever you ordered from. Your contract is with them the courier's activity is nothing to do with you - you didn't contract with them. Any problems and the retailer should replace or refund.

OldBeanbagz Mon 08-Dec-14 17:47:57

Was it Hermes or Yodel? I would put a note up asking if any of your nice neighbours took your pacel in. Maybe someone was worried that it might get stolen?

I used Hermes to send a parcel the other day and on Saturday my parcel was out for delivery which was bloody amazing as it hadn't even been picked up from my house!

palmerpigweed Mon 08-Dec-14 17:52:11

Yes definatly leave a note. I would be cheeky and put one through everyones door.
I ordered from play.com and waited three weeks, loads of emails later and nothing. They sent another one out apparently, they said "I believe its been delivered" no sign of it anywhere.
I rang up and asked for a refund, I finally got it today.
Its infuriating isnt it.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Mon 08-Dec-14 17:54:13

I'm rather ashamed to say that a polite note hadn't crossed my mind! I'll put one of those up instead!

Hermes are the couriers, I do find it a bit annoying you don't get a choice of courier. I'll be.on to the retailer tom.

And there was me being all smug I'd completed my Xmas shopping without having to go to the shops!! Damn.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Mon 08-Dec-14 17:57:56

I've just remembered my bf sent me some chocs the other week to apologise for eating mine when I had PMT. Oops!'

That also did a mystery disappearance!

I think my sign might just mention these two things to alert the neighbours!

Fuck I'm annoyed :@

nevercackle Mon 08-Dec-14 18:01:23

dont leave a shitty note. i discovered my parcel outside a flat just down the road after i complained that it didnt turn up. i got a full refund despite informing them i had eventually found my parcel.

two free pairs of dune boots for me thrn grin

it might have nothing to do with your neighbours.

SistersOfPercy Mon 08-Dec-14 18:02:17

It's not really up to you to chase the parcel, whoever you ordered it from has not fulfilled their part of the contract by delivering it to you.

You need to call the company and tell them that it's showing as delivered to a porch you don't have and you need a replacement please.

Purplecircle Mon 08-Dec-14 18:03:12

I had this and the company I bought from had given me the wrong tracking number. Parcel was yet to be delivered

FlorenceMattell Mon 08-Dec-14 18:03:18

Gosh how do you know the courier even left the parcel?? How to fall out with all your neighbours.
Distant selling regulations are simple. You pay to have goods delivered to you. If you haven't received them get the company to send out a second lot of goods or give you a refund.
It is the company who have losed out not you.
That's why I only send stuff tracked delivery.
Then I can claim back from delivery company if they don't deliver.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Mon 08-Dec-14 18:09:36

Ahh reason, lovely.

I'm not in the most reasonable state of mind at the.moment which is why I've posted here.

Thanks all, this is helping me see sense, promise.

nevercackle Mon 08-Dec-14 18:26:44

smile

BikketBikketBikket Mon 08-Dec-14 19:04:54

Hermes 'delivered parcel to secure location' at 9pm last Friday when I was away - I returned on Sunday to find the plastic bag nestled 'securely' in a large puddle outside my back door...! Just glad that they chose to leave it there, rather than outside the front door in full view of the street.....
They are shit... angry

JennyBlueWren Mon 08-Dec-14 19:09:08

We've had parcels delivered to the wrong street e.g. 10 This Street rather than 10 This Road. This has happened in two different places we've lived at!
PayPal have my old addresses saved and I've accidentally had things delivered to an old address (should have checked).
My parents once ha it happen that their parcel went to the same address -in another town!! Only found out when the folk phoned them (found number in phone book) to say they had a parcel and it wasn't theirs.

DraggingDownDownDown Mon 08-Dec-14 19:11:33

City link left a parcel containing over £100 worth of school uniform on my doorstep. Signed by.....The Porch. I don't even have a bloody porch.

Contacted them to complain and said it had gone AWOL (it hadn't but I wanted them to sweat abit) and they said oh....but the courier took a photo of it on your doorstep! !! WTF????

pamish Mon 08-Dec-14 19:15:06

Bring back the GPO.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 08-Dec-14 19:20:38

I came home the other day to a Hermes 'missed delivery' card on my doormat. I was confused as neither I or DH had ordered anything. I looked at the card and there was no name and no door number. There was a check list of options as to where the parecel had been left and there was a tick in the 'garage' option with the words "As requested" scrawled next to it. Me and DH don't even have a garage.

Fast forward two days and I found a Hermes delivered parcel sitting in my recycling bin that was addressed to our neighbour.

Horrendous service!! I sincerely hope the neighbour complained.

Bulbasaur Mon 08-Dec-14 19:25:05

Delivery companies have insurance. Mark it as missing and they'll redeliver to you, likely for free.

I had this happen too. Marked as delivered and it never showed up. Talked to the place I ordered from and they just sent a new one at no charge.

Pelicangiraffe Mon 08-Dec-14 19:26:12

Can you ring them again and tell them you live in a block of flats and can they tell you where they left it because you can't see it anywhere.

DollyParsnip Mon 08-Dec-14 19:28:31

Yodel did this to me on Friday - parcel marked delivered on the tracker but not actually received. Spoke to someone on Sat who said it was out for delivery that day then the sending company (Waterstones) replied to an email saying it was due to be delivered today - ended up getting it yesterday afternoon!

Yodel are definitely overstretched and I'm sure they marked it delivered initially to stop the clock ticking on it. The delivery guy was lovely and apologetic, and said they had been totally blindsided by Black Friday which had affected the warehouses and deliveries.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 08-Dec-14 19:29:07

I once had some sandals delivered from Boots.com to my porch. A porch that I don't have. Got onto them and they sent a replacement out straight away. Two weeks later, a woman turned up on my doorstep saying that she was tidying up and found a box in her porch that must be for me. She was 1 Any Street and we are 1 Any Close. I tried to sort it out, but customer services were rubbish. Eventually told to take them back to a store who gave me a full refund. Free sandals for me then!

I've also just had to get a refund from Amazon as a £250 order of various bits and pieces for Christmas failed to turn up. Courier stated it had been delivered to resident at 11.45 am. When we were all out at work or school. Amazon said wait another 24 hours as couriers state "delivered" when it hasn't been to be seen to be meeting the guaranteed next day delivery targets! After almost 48 hours, no sign of the parcel, so I got a refund, and no explanation of where it was left or how they obtained a signature from an empty house. I also asked for a refund of Amazon Prime and got it. I suspect someone follows couriers round scooping up all these parcels left on doorsteps.

Last week I had a royal mail card through the door, undated, saying my parcel was in the recycling bin. Good job it wasn't bin day as my neighbours always put our bin out for us.

Purplehonesty Mon 08-Dec-14 19:32:54

My Hermes parcels were delivered to a half built garage up the road from us and left inside someone else's car! The courier didn't leave a card so when I queried where they were it took me ages to track them down. I went to everyone in our area and finally found them as the company kept insisting I already had them! The driver couldn't remember where he had left them just that they were in an unlocked car...
Thank goodness I looked inside the neighbours car as they were all presents for my 3yo ds the next day.

RueDeWakening Mon 08-Dec-14 19:41:18

Amazon delivered a load of stuff to DH recently, and left it in the recycling bin. On bin day...

Did they not wonder why said bin was on the pavement? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now