Talk

Advanced search

to think. regular 90 minute wait at the gp isnt the norm?

(46 Posts)
Soleurmange Mon 08-Dec-14 11:37:20

Just that. Here with ds. He is bouncing off the walls. Every time we come it's the same. Should I try and change surgery?

DoubleValiumLattePlease Mon 08-Dec-14 11:45:45

That's outrageous! Never more than ten minutes for us and almost always on time. 90 minutes? Completely unacceptable! Change surgeries for sure.

SnowyMouse Mon 08-Dec-14 11:47:30

It's up to you - it may not be better elsewhere though.

WowserBowser Mon 08-Dec-14 11:48:45

That's dreadful! DS gets so bored after 15 mins. I think I would have left.

Quangle Mon 08-Dec-14 11:49:08

Normal if it's the drop in ( which is the only way to see a GP at my surgery - next allotted appointment not now available until 2nd week in Jan !)

But not good if that is your timed appointment.

TerryDolittle Mon 08-Dec-14 11:50:15

I think anything past a 20 minute wait is unreasonable. After 90 minutes I'd be bouncing off the walls.
Can you imagine if you were going in for something you felt very nervous about ie; smear. You'd feel sick with nerves by the time you went in!

CocobearSqueeze Mon 08-Dec-14 11:50:38

30 - 60 mins usually

ilovesooty Mon 08-Dec-14 11:50:55

If it's a drop in I would expect that to be the shortest expected waiting time. If you have a booked appointment that sort of delay isn't acceptable.

turkeyboots Mon 08-Dec-14 11:56:28

It was the norm at my previous GP. But she was worth the wait. Current GPS normally have 10min wait, but can't throw you out of office fast enough so barely listen to what problem is.

Onsera3 Mon 08-Dec-14 11:57:55

30-60 mins is often how long I wait. Have waited 90 mins before. So frustrating when you or Lo is ill and causes missed meals and naps.

McSqueezy Mon 08-Dec-14 12:03:36

Same 30-60 mins after the appointment time.

WD41 Mon 08-Dec-14 12:06:43

Depends. If it's a booked appt then yanbu

If it's a drop in clinic then sounds normal

Soleurmange Mon 08-Dec-14 13:05:10

Booked appt. Always booked appt. We are rural so limited choice, but I can't take too many more of these.

No kids area either and very busy. Is it unreasonable to think children should be prioritized? Obviously not at the expense of ill, disabled or elderly patients. But kids really struggle in there for that long

Cantremembermyid Mon 08-Dec-14 13:07:40

60/75 minuts is the norm here. for an apptn booked in the morning after 64256 calls from 7am trying to get through.hmm

ithoughtofitfirst Mon 08-Dec-14 13:24:11

'Kin hell where is your surgery? Oxford st, London?!? Poor you that's horrendous.

DoraGora Mon 08-Dec-14 13:31:25

Ours is quite quick, ten mins max, although getting an appointment in the first place is an ordeal. Our surgery in London was a nightmare. I stopped going, in the end, and went up the road to a walk in, instead.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Mon 08-Dec-14 13:32:44

I love my doctors. I never have any difficulty getting an appointment and I'm usually seen within 5 mins of appointment, and sometimes even early.

I'd change for sure, if you can.

Nancy66 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:33:28

no way! We are with a very busy London practice and I'd say 15-20 min wait is the average.

Something has gone wrong with the system there

DoraGora Mon 08-Dec-14 13:33:53

I've also started teaching myself the basics of looking in, listening, prodding and tapping. Nothing fancy. But, I do hate all the rigmarole of getting to the doctor, just to be told that they're fine!

Gramgram Mon 08-Dec-14 13:40:16

Sometimes a GP has to spend time with people. I once waited over an hour to see the GP, I had a nasty chest infection at the time and knew I needed antibiotics. My doctor was very apologetic, and explained that a patient of his had died suddenly and the family needed his support.

Sometimes those waiting don't realize that there other patients that need the doctor's attention, one day it might be you needing his/her support.

Putthatonyourneedles Mon 08-Dec-14 13:42:17

45 min wait for booked appointment on most days. But just getting an appointment normally means a 7-9 day wait.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 08-Dec-14 13:43:02

If it's a regular occurrence it's not on and I have to say even with an emotional case I wouldnt let it run on that long. I would arrange to bring people back.

Taz1212 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:44:46

We usually end up waiting 40 minutes or so after the booked time. I used to get annoyed but when DS was 7 months he became very ill at nursery (they couldn't properly wake him). I phoned his GP and was put straight through to her. She told me to immediately collect him and if I couldn't wake him, to phone for an ambulance. Otherwise I was to come straight to the surgery and tell reception I was there. I did so and she saw me right away (booting out a current patient!). DS needed hospitalisation and we were in her office for quite some time while she phoned the local hospital and sorted his admission. Lots of patients had delayed appointments that afternoon thanks to us.

So- no, it shouldn't be the norm, but when we're stuck waiting I keep reminding myself that there could be an emergency case that messed the timetable up.

kali110 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:52:34

I'v waited 2 hours before. Way i see it, everyone has a 5 or 10 min slot. If you're not done in that time it's going to run over! I'v never complained. I'v suffered badly with depression in the past, i just think maybe someone is struggling as badly as i was.

kali110 Mon 08-Dec-14 13:53:57

If i need an app i can be waiting 2 weeks sometimes 3!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now