Talk

Advanced search

To ask what kind of slippers you like?

(29 Posts)
wanderings Mon 08-Dec-14 04:55:57

Following the thread about making DC wear slippers; for those who like wearing slippers at home, what sort do you like to wear? Slipper socks, or backless, or old-fashioned ones?

When I was at uni, in my hall of residence, there seemed to be a liking for the huge fluffy animal-shaped slippers, among both the boys and the girls. So from those days I quite enjoy wearing the big novelty ones, and have several pairs, but I don't do well with conventional slippers, especially backless ones.

And do you wear socks with your slippers, or does it depend on time of year?

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Mon 08-Dec-14 05:00:47

I have serveral types of slippers, backless ones and boot like ones.

Depends what PJ I have on.

giraffescantboogie Mon 08-Dec-14 05:09:57

I like boot ones. I find boot slippers are crap though and get out of shape easily. So I tend to buy cheap "ugg" style books from Adsa and wear them as slippers.

giraffescantboogie Mon 08-Dec-14 05:10:15

BOOTS

Bin85 Mon 08-Dec-14 05:14:48

Nordic boots
Buy from those catalogues inside magazines
About £16 for 2 pairs
So comfy and warm

PragmaticWench Mon 08-Dec-14 05:34:03

Backless are too cold and boots too warm, so a full shoe.

One thing I can't stand is man-made material as it doesn't warm your feet properly, just makes them sweaty. I always buy natural fibres or leather/sheepskin.

MummyPig24 Mon 08-Dec-14 06:30:32

I like the little boot type slippers. This is what I asked for last year for Christmas. This is not what I got, I got some ginormous slipper sock things with no stretch in them so they won't fit over my fat muscular calves. I felt so ungrateful.

figginz Mon 08-Dec-14 06:43:31

In the summer, flip flops or bare feet. I used to use those big fat socks with grips on the sole things for really cold months but was never totally convinced. Then a friend bought me a pair of Falke slippers. They're like tiny ankle boots but made of wool, with grippy soles. Totally gorgeous and warm. Don't need socks with them. I'm now a total convert to the slipper cause.

londonrach Mon 08-Dec-14 07:42:51

Has to have backs so else they slip off.

Concordial Mon 08-Dec-14 07:51:02

Sheepskin Ugg boots.
It gets bloody freezing in my part of New South Wales during winter and our house isn't equipped for cold weather.
We also have tiled and wooden flooring throughout and that is fecking freezing at 5am.

Eyespy24 Mon 08-Dec-14 08:42:32

Sheepskin 'houseboots' by Celtic. So toasty I don't need socks with them & they can go in washing machine too!

MardyBra Mon 08-Dec-14 08:46:07

And your Aibu is?

AdventCaroline Mon 08-Dec-14 09:19:52

My favourite sort are sheepskin moccasins. I had a pair once and wore them until they fell apart.

But at the moment I have slip-on sheepskin mules with hard soles for home, and some cotton ballerina slippers I take when visiting family.

I love sheepskin, I couldn't go back to anything else now. I like the idea of Ugg type boots, but I think they might be a bit heavy.

DC have soft leather slippers with flexible rubber soles - I think they are actually marketed as dancing shoes, but they work fine as slippers.
DH has felted wool slip on mules.

I usually wear socks with mine, except when I have just got up. DC always wear socks with theirs.

SaucyJack Mon 08-Dec-14 09:34:49

I like little wooly ballet pumps- but only ever over cotton socks.

Most gloves and slippers give me that fingernails down a blackboard feeling. Tres annoying.

Dwerf Mon 08-Dec-14 09:38:27

I've got some backless mules for sitting at the computer, but they are crap for going outside (taking the dog for a last pee or putting the bins out) so I'm thinking of getting a pair of crocs. With fur. So shoot me.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 08-Dec-14 09:40:01

Pink, fluffy, soft, ballerina slippers or my Sketchers fur lined Chugga boots.

OneLeggedCrabGoingInCircles Mon 08-Dec-14 09:53:25

I hate having hot feet and therefore don't like slippers. I had to have my house carpeted over my lovely sanded and varnished floors to accommodate this.
However if I were to have slippers it would be real sheepskin ones as they regulate the temperature of your feet and are lovely to walk on.

Passthecake30 Mon 08-Dec-14 10:01:13

In the winter I wear ugg fakes like a pp, slippers don't last long with me at all. In the summer I wear the slip ons from peacocks, replacing about every 4-6 wks when I walk right through the sole.....

monkeymamma Mon 08-Dec-14 11:42:12

Piper you are my hero. I have never though of having more than one pair on the go at a time but it would solve a lot of problems (eg love pink and fluffy for post-shower and night time chilling but need something grime proof for running round after ds in the daytime). Will give this serious thought.

Op I am a massive slipper fan. Feel funny without them. But I get so pissed off with what's generally available. Boots- too hot. Novelties - may result in death or injury after tripping (yes I do take life too seriously). Mules - also health and safety risk especially (statistically) for older persons especially n carpeted stairs (I'm 32 so maybe could relax on this one for a couple of decades). Ballet slippers - usually so flimsy with no arch support that I feel actually insulted that the shop in question is offering them for purchase. I'm the sheldon cooper of slipper buying.

But there is a solution! Best ever slippers = moshulu (they have a website). They do sturdy, long lasting, actually nice to look at slippers. They are expensive but last about 5x longer than normal slippers. Also sometimes are on sale.

In answer to the sock question I wear socks all the time, even in bed, even in summer. This disgusts and fascinates dh in equal measure. I do possibly need to wean myself off as it is rather gross. But I feel sooooo wrong without them!

samesizetoes Mon 08-Dec-14 11:51:18

Big fluffy slipper socks when lounging on the sofa. Crocs with a fleece liner when I'm wandering around the house and flip flops during the summer.

Showy Mon 08-Dec-14 11:58:17

Dh's grandma bought these moshulu for me last Christmas:
https://www.moshulu.co.uk/ladies/slippers/california_heather.htm

Lovely slippers.

GlaceCherries Mon 08-Dec-14 12:03:52

I have these from New Zealand. Lovely, warm and they last for a couple of years. Getting a new pair for Christmas!

Theas18 Mon 08-Dec-14 12:13:12

I have a lovely pair of sheepskin boot slippers for the winter and wear crocs ( proper ones not fakes) the rest of the time.

OTheHugeManatee Mon 08-Dec-14 12:28:23

Our house is big and draughty, so I have sheepskin boot ones from Celtic & Co for the winter, then sheepskin backless mules for spring/autumn and flip-flops for the five minutes brief period of really hot weather in the summer.

MiaowTheCat Mon 08-Dec-14 12:48:37

I go through them at a ridiculous rate so about the only criteria I have are decent soles (which still get wrecked). Currently resorting to wearing a pair of croc type clogs with furry liners you can take out to wash as they're about all that has lasted more than a month or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now