Talk

Advanced search

To not understand why some people make their DC wear slippers?

(100 Posts)
TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:37:39

I've just never quite grasped why some parents make their dc wear slippers. Surely they're a matter of personal choice?

What's going to happen to a child's feet inside their own home? confused

My friend...she's all "X put your slippers on!" in a stern voice.

Why?

I asked her once and she looked confused and said "It's cold."

Her DS is like my DDs and likes being barefoot or socked...what's up with that?

It wasn't cold inside and even if it was it's not cold enough to get frostbite or anything!

Do you make your DC wear slippers and why?

wowfudge Sun 07-Dec-14 22:41:52

More grip than socks so less likely to slip. You don't get your feet or socks dirty. You don't run the same risk of standing on something and hurting your feet.

MillionairesShortbread Sun 07-Dec-14 22:42:26

Mine have them - our floor gets cold, but I've never enforced wearing them and they don't tend to. They seem to prefer socks!

threepiecesuite Sun 07-Dec-14 22:42:45

I do when we first come down in the morning as the house is cold. We have wood floors downstairs and they are freezing on bare feet and socks are too slippy.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:42:48

Wow really? My DC never fell more than average and we have laminate...as for standing on things...that's part of life! Teach the buggers to leave lego around won't it!

Shedding Sun 07-Dec-14 22:43:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:44:03

But what if the child doesn't want to wear them? Wouldn't you just assume that they're not feeling the cold as you are?

Same with "Put your coat on!"

I never make mine wear theirs...they come and put them on if they get cold.

CheeseEqualsHappiness Sun 07-Dec-14 22:44:17

No, never. Dd doesn't own any

MillionairesShortbread Sun 07-Dec-14 22:44:31

Gosh so some people really do MAKE their kids wear them? Surely it should just be there as an option?

(Admittedly I wont fight the battle with the 2 year old about wearing a coat on her sisters school run and carry it for in case she actually does get cold).

Socks/bare feet never been slippy here and we have laminate too!

traceybaybee Sun 07-Dec-14 22:44:43

My dad used to tell us all the time about wearing our slippers and while now at 22 i tend mostly not to wear them in cooler months i do wear them in winter

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Sun 07-Dec-14 22:45:21

Mine don't have to wear slippers, but they do like to. DS has found he can run faster in them across the laminate. I like them to when its cold, but I wouldn't force them to.

MistAndAWeepingRain Sun 07-Dec-14 22:45:27

I have wood and stone floors. They get very cold. I don't want my DCs to get cold feet so they wear slippers.

Wood floors can also be slippy and my DCs tend to charge about. Slippers have more grip. They also stop DD1 stubbing her toes quite so often.

Hairtodaygonetomorrow Sun 07-Dec-14 22:45:33

We have a socks or slippers rule in our house in winter for everyone, as their feet get freezing on laminate and to be completely honest, I try not to have the heating on too much to save money. If everyone wears slippers, a jumper or dressing gown and closes the doors it's several degrees difference.

CSIGingerbread Sun 07-Dec-14 22:45:34

I've just bought the DC slippers as we have a slate floor in the kitchen and a conservatory that leaks heat when the inner doors are open. Usually, the DC and I go around in bare feet or socks at home, but it's too flipping freezing at the moment.

On another note, DH wears his slippers year round. Same as his mum.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:45:45

Millionaire it's quite common I think....people seem to think their DC will come to harm without them.

NickiFury Sun 07-Dec-14 22:45:58

Because my kids have ASD and simply don't realise they're cold. I touch their hands and feet and they're like ice, so slippers are "encouraged".

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:46:35

Mist wouldn't you rely on their say so though? Babies are different but even toddlers can have an opinion on their level of comfort.

cheesecakemom Sun 07-Dec-14 22:47:15

My mum used to make me wear shoes all the time - so my feet wouldn't become too big and wide apparently! I used to like playing in the garden without shoes.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:47:36

Nicki not quite the same is it if the DC has ASD....I can completely understand a parent anticipating things then....but in cases where they don't have a communication disorder then why make them? They can tell you if they want them on or put them on.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 22:48:01

Cheese God. Sort of Urban foot binding!

Bartlebee Sun 07-Dec-14 22:48:44

My children walk around the house in bare feet, all year round. They don't seem to be bothered by cold feet.

We're not a slippers family, though.

PigeonPie Sun 07-Dec-14 22:48:56

I provide them with slippers but they very rarely wear them. But then I also provide DS2 with trousers but he continues to wear shorts (yes, it is December!)!

There are other battles I choose to fight and I figure that they will put them on if they're cold!

Nanny0gg Sun 07-Dec-14 22:50:37

If I thought it was cold and I wanted my children to wear slippers /jumpers/dressing gowns/coats/hats/gloves, then that's what they did.

I really don't see the problem with making children do what I think is best for them. I was the parent, that was my job.

CointreauVersial Sun 07-Dec-14 22:51:08

I was always made to wear slippers as a child, because DM worked from home as a fashion designer and dressmaker, so there were always dropped pins lurking in the carpet.

My DCs can choose for themselves. If they have cold feet they'll put slippers on. If not, they won't.

Bowchickawowow Sun 07-Dec-14 22:51:08

I have bought mine slippers in the past but they don't wear them. The love being barefoot. Neither of them wear pyjama tops either - just bottoms! They make
Me feel cold. Luckily our flat is small and warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now