Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why asthma isn't on the list of disabilities for paralympic sports

(43 Posts)
SilentAllTheseYears Sun 07-Dec-14 15:07:09

Just that really, my sister's son has severe asthma and does competitive swimming but is up against people without asthma but she says he can't get a disability classification because asthma isn't a disability.

Sirzy Sun 07-Dec-14 15:10:32

Because with the right treatment the vast majority of asthmatics would be able to compete.

Asthma is for those with it severely a disability but for most it is generally controllable and doesn't impact their life to the extent of needing a Paralympic classification

SilentAllTheseYears Sun 07-Dec-14 15:12:24

Fair enough...what made me wonder was her saying that he never got good butterfly or front crawl results because his asthma made the breathing hard -presumably then it should be fine if his medicine works?

Farahilda Sun 07-Dec-14 15:12:51

This link to the governing body seems to suggest that it's because people with asthma can and do compete in the regular events

And not every category of disability sports is a Paralympic sport (IIRC, there was no swimming (or reduced number of events) for those with Down's syndrome in 2012).

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Sun 07-Dec-14 15:13:08

I see what you mean but if I had one leg and was lining up against someone with a manageable condition with an inhaler i'd be pretty cheesed off.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 07-Dec-14 15:16:04

I'm disabled due to asthma, for me it's really severe.

SilentAllTheseYears Sun 07-Dec-14 15:17:27

Wizard presumably they wouldn't be in the same race? I see your point though, and I didn't know about Rebecca Adlington having asthma.

Gaia81 Sun 07-Dec-14 15:21:03

It's actually fairly common for swimmers to have asthma, something to do with spending lots of time in chlorinated swimming pools.

Got99problems Sun 07-Dec-14 15:22:50

David Beckham is asthmatic, for example, so it would seem that for many people it isn't a barrier to competing in sports.

fredfredgeorgejnr Sun 07-Dec-14 15:27:29

Asthma is actually more prevalent among elite athletes than the general population.

Sirzy Sun 07-Dec-14 15:40:57

www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/381793/Laura-Trott-Asthma-made-me-a-winner

Sport is actually reccomended for most asthmatics.

My son has very severe asthma and tbh he can't even go swimming at the moment but even then I know he is an extreme case and in most cases it shouldn't hinder life if well controlled.

hazeyjane Sun 07-Dec-14 15:47:03

news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/treatment_room/newsid_2340000/2340911.stm

^^ 10 sportspeople with asthma - I am always amazed by the stamina sports like marathon running and football, because poor dd2 gets wheezy after about 10 minutes of playing hockey!

RunnerHasbeen Sun 07-Dec-14 15:52:10

It is much to variable, both between different people and for the people themselves over time. I can't think of any conditions that are counted that aren't anatomical - you don't have categories for: crohns disease, kidney disease, arthritis etc.

beginnerrunner Sun 07-Dec-14 16:04:36

Paula radcliffe has bad asthma.

SquirrelledAway Sun 07-Dec-14 16:06:00

Many swimmers suffer from some degree of asthma or have asthma-like symptoms. 19% of swimmers at the Beijing Olympics had asthma diagnoses, and they won 33% of medals. Lots of other conditions also cannot be classified as a disability, such as cystic fibrosis, autism, most learning difficulties, dyspraxia etc.

Not sure what level your nephew is swimming at, but if at competing at National competitions he will need to declare his asthma medication and dosage on an annual basis as some medications are prohibited.

Badvocinapeartree Sun 07-Dec-14 16:07:11

Bradley wiggins has asthma

Greysanderson Sun 07-Dec-14 16:11:53

Novak djokovic has asthma

SilentAllTheseYears Sun 07-Dec-14 16:13:02

Thanks, it's really interesting reading your posts. Sorry about those of you with asthma and asthmatic children. My nephew swims at regional level at the moment.

SquirrelledAway Sun 07-Dec-14 16:22:00

If he gets to swimming at National level (Age Groups etc) then he'll need to fill out a declaration - link here for English swimmers.

buffythemuffinslayer Sun 07-Dec-14 16:38:52

I don't know about swimming, but I competed at regional level as a teen (south of England) in athletics with asthma, and had a regime if medication (day to day and emergency) which managed the condition to a point. I never did long distance, but on short and middle was ok 99% of the time.

It's a difficult one - at times I did feel disadvantaged, but with proper care would still beat out the competition. Gave up because social life took over!

Could your sister go to her GP, explain her son is a competitive swimmer and see what could be done? Years ago now but I remember I got new meds once I was training 4/5 times per week, to make sure I was supported as needed.

ExitPursuedByABear Sun 07-Dec-14 16:46:18

Gosh. I never knew about all these top athletes with asthma!

SilentAllTheseYears Sun 07-Dec-14 17:52:58

Thanks Buffy I'll tell her and suggest it - I don't know what meds he is on now.

giraffescantboogie Sun 07-Dec-14 21:00:49

Depends on the type of asthma. Sometimes I can walk for miles and swim, other days I can't walk across a room.

Altinkum Sun 07-Dec-14 21:12:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MidniteScribbler Sun 07-Dec-14 21:20:51

I'm have asthma and compete at a national level for my sport.

I don't like to sound harsh, but perhaps your nephew just isn't as talented as your sister would like him to be? If it were the asthma that was the issue then it would be an issue across the board. If it's butterfly and breaststroke that he doesn't do as well in, then they probably just aren't his strongest strokes. Even elite level swimmers have their preferred styles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now