Talk

Advanced search

To think I am not The Grinch

(15 Posts)
teawithalice Sun 07-Dec-14 09:17:22

I had someone call yesterday and I was criticised (fairly jovially) for not having any Christmas decorations up.

As an adult living alone, surely it's fairly normal not to bother? Plus, not everyone celebrates Christmas anyway.

Or AIBU? fwink

southeastastra Sun 07-Dec-14 09:19:14

we haven't put any up yet it's too early but of course you can do what you want ,!

redexpat Sun 07-Dec-14 09:19:20

We're only one week into december!

littlemslazybones Sun 07-Dec-14 09:25:49

House full of kids here, no decorations up yet because it is only the 7th. I'd be sick to my back teeth of the decorations and from trying to stop the 10mo scale the tree by Boxing day if I had them up now.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 07-Dec-14 09:27:09

Not having them up yet is one thing, not having them up at all is pretty Grinchy (if you acknowledge Christmas). A nice tree up makes the house feel so cosy!

teawithalice Sun 07-Dec-14 09:36:53

It makes such a mess, though, costs money and I have very limited space (one bedroomed flat) - plus I'm rarely in and people never only occasionally visit.

SavoyCabbage Sun 07-Dec-14 09:38:47

I'm not doing it till next weekend. It seems to have become a thing that people do it early and then take them down on Boxing Day.

Trills Sun 07-Dec-14 09:40:33

A nice tree up makes the house feel so cosy!

What if you're going for "sophisticated" or "minimalist" or "shabby chic" rather than "cosy"?

ohtheholidays Sun 07-Dec-14 09:43:21

We don't put ours up till 12 days before Christmas and we have 5DC.It's tradition for us.It's what my Parents did and what my DH parents did.

If you celebrate Christmas then I think you should bother for yourself.Who cares if no one else sees them if you like them have them your worth it.

RoundRobinSparkles Sun 07-Dec-14 09:47:19

My mum doesn't bother. She can't be arsed doing it and she's never at home for Christmas anyway.

teawithalice Sun 07-Dec-14 09:47:28

Well, I don't celebrate Christmas - I like it, but I don't do anything special. But I don't "not" celebrate it either (I mean I don't have cultural or religious reasons for not celebrating it.) It really would be a daft thing to do, to buy a tree. I like the lights in the town centre and elsewhere, they are gorgeous. It's just not quite fitting for my home.

If I had children I would have a tree smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 07-Dec-14 09:52:26

Nah a tree always makes it look cosy grin unless this is your tree

jay55 Sun 07-Dec-14 09:55:48

I don't decorate either. I spend Xmas day with family and will admire their tree and be glad I don't have to faff with my own.
Living in small flats storage is limited.

teawithalice Sun 07-Dec-14 10:18:16

Yes, that's one of the problems I have jay - and it's such a faff trailing rubbish outside.

Poolomoomon Sun 07-Dec-14 11:37:37

Yanbu. I never bothered before DC either, what's the point? Never at home, always at family over the actual Christmas week. Seems really stupid and pointless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now