Advanced search

To. Not give dd all the money

(30 Posts)
Wecouldbe Sat 06-Dec-14 18:06:35

Dd gets dla paid to me. She is asking that I give her all the money every month. I want to give her some but not a large ammount of it.

WipsGlitter Sat 06-Dec-14 18:07:05

How old is she?

Wecouldbe Sat 06-Dec-14 18:07:41

She's 18.

Wecouldbe Sat 06-Dec-14 18:08:17

I also get child benfit and tax credit for her as she's still in edcation.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 06-Dec-14 18:09:19

It's to pay for additional expenses, like taxi's, that she wouldn't need if she wasn't disabled and at 18 she should be able to sort these herself. Is there any reason why she shouldn't have her DLA?

Vitalstatistix Sat 06-Dec-14 18:09:37

How old is she?

DLA is her money but it is given for the benefit of the person to go some way to cover the additional costs of the disability. It would not be unreasonable to use some for expenses that are as a result of her disability.

My children's dla goes towards replacing things they destroy, and covers costs of supported trips etc. It's not for their spending money. They get that of course, but dla funds things related to their care.

Vitalstatistix Sat 06-Dec-14 18:10:40


When will it be switched over to being paid directly to her?

BackforGood Sat 06-Dec-14 18:14:41

Agree with Vital - surely it's there to cover costs that she/you as a family wouldn't have, if she didn't have her disability. So if that means a taxi rather than walking, then it should go to whoever is paying for the taxi. If that means lots of extra washing or more heating been on, then it should go to whoever pays the heating bills, and so forth. It's not really pocket money, but it depends on what she is expected to pay for.

Wecouldbe Sat 06-Dec-14 18:14:48

She signed it over to me at sixteen. she has a taxi to and from school so doesn't really need money for transport. She would just be buying things that she wants.

Stripylikeatiger Sat 06-Dec-14 18:18:09

What do you spend the money on?

LineRunner Sat 06-Dec-14 18:21:17

So you want to help her with a budget?

What are your thoughts about this.

It is her money, you know that. She can decide to 'sign it back' to herself.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 06-Dec-14 18:23:39

I use ds's to pay for the tram up the hill to the school as he can't walk that far, also for his shoes, the podiatrist and his laptop (he has weak ligaments in his feet, ankles and wrists and they become painful). It's for disability related costs which wouldn't be incurred if he wasn't disabled. He's more than able to pay for these himself if the DLA went into his account but he's asked me to take care of these. You need to look at what additional costs your DD has because of her disability and see if she's able to pay for these herself using her own DLA. If she understands what she needs and won't flitter it away on something daft then she should have her own money.

PortofinoVino Sat 06-Dec-14 18:24:29

At 18 I gave my son half of his DLA for himself. He was going to day College so needed funds for food, etc. He also started buying his own clothes.

sockmatcher Sat 06-Dec-14 18:25:39

Are you her official appointee? Why is your daughter deemed unable to deal with her own finances?

DaisyFlowerChain Sat 06-Dec-14 18:25:57

At 18 she is an adult so if she wants the payments to go to her that's a very reasonable request.

sockmatcher Sat 06-Dec-14 18:28:19

No really daisy. Depends on why an appointee was necessary

sockmatcher Sat 06-Dec-14 18:28:49


Chippednailvarnish Sat 06-Dec-14 18:30:17

Depends on the nature of her disability IMO...

Chunderella Sat 06-Dec-14 18:33:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 06-Dec-14 18:45:00

We need more information here, wecould smile

Shockers Sat 06-Dec-14 18:48:23

You know your DD best. Our DD could not manage a budget as she still thinks the biggest coins are the best and would happily swap a £1 coin for a 2p for that reason.

She's 16.

Her DLA pays for swimming and riding lessons, theatre trips (she loves the theatre!) and all the stuff a 16 yr old would buy with wages from a Saturday job... as she can't go out and get a job like her younger brother has (he washes up in a local restaurant one night a week and has a paper round). She does jobs round the house, like the recycling so that she feels like she's earnt her money too. We go shopping together ( she can't go out alone) and she buys clothes, CDs and books. It gives her some of the kind of life she might have had without her SLD.

I feel funny about it being her money, but it has no value to her. This way she gets the benefit.

Only you know how the money would best be used. If you think she could handle it, why not give her part to do with as she wants and save the remainder in an account in her name?

Babiecakes11 Sat 06-Dec-14 18:59:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LineRunner Sat 06-Dec-14 19:22:17

I think if she had the capacity to sign it over, she probably will be deemed to have the capacity to sign it back.

Good ideas above about jointly managing it.

pinkyredrose Sat 06-Dec-14 19:25:10

You should give her the DLA . If you need more you should claim the carers allowance.

LegoAdventCalendar Sat 06-Dec-14 19:41:08

Depends on the nature of the disability.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: