Advanced search

Blue badge for autism

(125 Posts)
Babiecakes11 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:16:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babiecakes11 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:20:08

formerbabe Sat 06-Dec-14 13:28:06

He's almost been hit 3 times by running out onto roads when we have tried to teach him the dangers

I will confess to knowing nothing about autism so won't comment on the refusal. However, do you mean he has let go of your hands and tried to run into the road or you are just trusting him not to because you have taught him the dangers? No 3 year old can be trusted to take responsibility for their safety in the road whether they are autistic or not.

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Dec-14 13:28:43

Did you submit a consultant's letter with your application?

I had an awful time getting a BB for my FIL (blind, had a stroke, terribly frail and can hardly walk a few yards). The form we had to fill in offered only 2 choices re his eyesight:
visually impaired
severely visually impaired.
We had ticked the box next to severely visually impaired.
The person assessing the form said he wasn't visually impaired enough, so we asked his consultant to amend the form. He wrote "BLIND" in very large letters on the form.
They also wanted FIL to come in person to a building with no parking except for BB holders, steep steps, in terribly icy, cold weather.
They told us we would not be allowed to park as he didn't have a BB.
It took almost a year to get the badge.
FIL is in a wheelchair now, which in some ways is a bit easier, as long as people don't park right up against the boot so we can't get the chair out.

My point is that it is often worth reapplying with all the medical reports you can get, as the starting point seems to be to make it as difficult as possible.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 06-Dec-14 13:29:36

Do you/can you use reins?

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Dec-14 13:29:45

OTOH I would always use reins for a child who is not reliable near roads.

Windmillsinthesand Sat 06-Dec-14 13:31:57

I'm sure I read somewhere (autism forum) that it is nearly impossible to get a blue badge for children with autism,I think lots of parents are having the same trouble OP.

Babiecakes11 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:32:31

AlpacaLypse Sat 06-Dec-14 13:32:56

OP I have a dnephew who is autistic and I do understand how frustrated you must feel. AIBU is a good place to vent, but you may get replies, possibly hurtful replies, from people who haven't a clue about the realities of life with a child on the spectrum.

Have you accessed the Special Needs section of the site?

LL12 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:33:22

I have a 15 year old with autism that is exactly the same but is also very strong with no road sense and understanding. Also pain in knee and ankle when walking.
We have never been able to get a BB but I know some that have.

AlpacaLypse Sat 06-Dec-14 13:33:48

Loads of xposts!

Dawndonnaagain Sat 06-Dec-14 13:34:08

Re-apply. There are many people with Autism who require and regularly use a blue badge. Your council are being arses. Try to gather as much evidence as you can that he is a danger to himself.
Good Luck, it's horrid, but being persistent will help.

HappyAgainOneDay Sat 06-Dec-14 13:36:00

We applied for a blue badge for my mother. The 2008 information pack said that they are issued only to those who cannot walk more than X yards.

Babiecakes11 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:36:00

KneeQuestion Sat 06-Dec-14 13:36:46

I know someone who got a blue badge for pretty much the same reasons you have, her child was a bit older, but had the same lack of danger awareness.

Have a look on the SN board on here, some there may be able to advise you better, or if you click 'report' on the blue bar above your post, you can message Mumsnet and ask them to move this thread to the special needs forum.

Triooooooooooo Sat 06-Dec-14 13:44:32

I have a blue badge for my Autistic son, I found picking up the phone and speaking to someone direct most affective. Had no problems getting one.

And to all those suggesting reins, I know your trying to be helpful but the resulting sensory overload from forcing something like that onto an unwilling person with ASD would result in the sort of adrenaline surge most people would only experience if. they were pursued by an Axe wielding maniac. It wouldn't be safe at all.

Really do feel for you op and I know they're empty words right now but things really do get easier as our children grow and their awareness and coping skills develop. flowers

Dawndonnaagain Sat 06-Dec-14 13:45:48

The council can't dictate when you can re-apply. They may think they can, but they can't.

x2boys Sat 06-Dec-14 13:45:57

interesting thread I have a four year old with autism and learning difficulties and have the same danger issues as you op I phoned my council to see what their criteria were for a blue badge was and they said he would need to have physical disabilities he is functionally very mobile but that can often make him more of a danger. he also gets MRC DLA .not mobility as he is not five and I think when he does turn five he will only be entitled to low rate mobility as his mobility is functionally ok a blue badge would make life a lot easier though.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 06-Dec-14 13:46:17

4 of mine with autism have a BB one does not ( they did but it was withdrawn recently).

Would a weighted vest harness help? They are different to reins do the same job but can help with sensory issues

Dawndonnaagain Sat 06-Dec-14 13:47:48

After you apply
You can:

If you’re refused, your council should tell you why you’re not eligible for a Blue Badge.

You can ask them to reconsider your case if you don’t think all the important information you provided was taken into account.

You can also re-apply if your mobility problems become more serious.
From the government website.

BOFster Sat 06-Dec-14 13:48:04

Do you get the higher rate DLA for mobility? That qualifies you automatically, I think.

x2boys Sat 06-Dec-14 13:48:44

trioooooooooo sorry if I have not but enough o ,s! what did you did you have to submit any evidence?

Triooooooooooo Sat 06-Dec-14 13:49:38

And what sort of buggy does he have. op ?? Is it a maclaren ?? I wish iI'd known this years ago but my D's had one years ago, it was pretty useless as it offered no really protection and would tip or collapse as he rocked, he'd also tip it forward and run off !!

A lot of people I know have been appealing to op and pointing out they're flaws, as a result they've been issued with special sensory pushchairs which are much better, think they're called swiffy. Nicer / easier to push too.

Babiecakes11 Sat 06-Dec-14 13:51:16

You CAN get a blue badge for autism (my son has one) but you may need to wait until he's older.All 3 year olds need close watching and are capable of running off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now