Talk

Advanced search

To think that we can be trusted to pay for plastic bags

(26 Posts)
itsmeitscathy Sat 06-Dec-14 12:15:51

Since the 5p charge has come in up here (Scotland) a lot of self service tills no longer have bags on them. This means you scan your shopping then have to wait for a member of staff to give you your bags.

AIBU to think we can be trusted to scan the correct number?! M and s let you take them before and you just told the machine how many you needed. It just seems really silly to not trust us with bags when we are scanning all of our shopping!

Annunziata Sat 06-Dec-14 12:17:11

I saw someone in M&S stealing a big handful of bags shock

I was really annoyed in Boots that they didn't have any, YANBU.

PuffinsAreFictitious Sat 06-Dec-14 12:20:59

They don't trust you to scan your shopping either. There will be more security cameras on self-scan tills than anywhere else in the store.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 06-Dec-14 12:23:54

A lot of people can't be trusted!

They don't exactly trust you with the self scan shopping either, it's all weighed and if it doesn't tally, the machine stops and you have to wait for assistance!

Pumpkinpositive Sat 06-Dec-14 12:31:57

I was out to dinner with a few friends last week. When the bill came, I noticed the restaurant had neglected to add an extra drink I ordered with my meal to the total.

I pointed this out to the waitress. She looked at me as if I had two heads and went away to re total the bill, thanking me profusely. Came back still full of thanks, assuring me that "most people would never do that."

I was dragged up proper, but not everyone is.

YABU.

DoJo Sat 06-Dec-14 12:35:29

They don't exactly trust you with the self scan shopping either, it's all weighed and if it doesn't tally, the machine stops and you have to wait for assistance!

Only at the tills - if you do 'scan as you shop' then you just get randomly security checked every so often (probably about 5 times in the year since I've been doing it, which isn't bad IMO). I'm not sure why there is such a difference between the way self-scanners and self-service users are treated - especially given the relative values of the purchases involved. And we're trusted to declare how many of our own bags we have used - it's like being a real human! grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Dec-14 12:35:48

Unfortunately some people can't be trusted, and would just take a load of bags. sad

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Dec-14 12:37:41

DoJo, every time I have been random checked at the Scan and Shop my heart is in my mouth. Some days my head is so full of things I possibly would forget to scan something just from being frazzled.

BackforGood Sat 06-Dec-14 12:40:32

YABU to assume that everybody is honest, yes. You are making the mistake of thinking everyone is like yourself.

DoJo - we had that self scanning malarky around here some 15 yrs ago or so, but they had to stop it due to the amount of stock disappearing. It just wasn't viable, as, sadly, so many people don't think of it as "stealing" when it's from a big company.

nannynick Sat 06-Dec-14 12:56:11

Maybe next generation self-scan will dispense plastic bags like it does with notes, coupons. Slows the process though as faster to scan-bag each item than to scan all then bag all.

In time people will remember to bring their own bag, then the system makes sense - weigh bag then scan items into the bag.

Redcoats Sat 06-Dec-14 13:04:42

I've been checked every time I've self-scanned. I must look extra shifty.

M27J5M Sat 06-Dec-14 13:10:06

I've stopped using self scans as much because of this, stood for nearly 10 mins waiting in bags and had too much to carry, I only tend to use them now if I've remembered to take my bags so I'm not standing about!

JennyBlueWren Sat 06-Dec-14 14:19:52

It annoys me that if you use your own bag you have to wait for someone to tell the machine that you have your own bag on the weighing scales. I normally scan all my stuff then put it in my bag while I wait for the card reader to finish. It doesn't mind you taking your stuff once you've got your card in the machine.

AlpacaLypse Sat 06-Dec-14 14:24:06

Waitrose and Tesco self scan tills don't need an assistant to tell the machine you've brought your own bags. On the other hand, you can't turn the sound off on Waitrose ones, so that's one up to Tesco (for a change).

Morrisons self scanners are abysmally useless.

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Dec-14 14:27:46

Morrisons self scan is awful. PLEASE PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAG!! I have! PLEASE REMOVE THE LAST ITEM FROM THE BAG! Why?? it's painful.

Euphemia Sat 06-Dec-14 15:34:32

My local Asda has put security tags on the baskets because people were nicking them rather than fork out 5p!

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 06-Dec-14 15:52:13

People don't pay for them, it happens all the time.

greenfolder Sat 06-Dec-14 15:57:44

my only new years resolution for 2015 is not to use self scan tills once during the year.

i do not believe that they save time overall. by the time you have had to flag someone down to authorise the stuff with an age limit, etc etc etc. It must be as quick to go to the normal till.

in other news, it will stop the thrill i get by nicking the occaisional plastic bag from marks. they should not trust me.

HappyAgainOneDay Sat 06-Dec-14 16:10:13

I can't carry heavy bags so I probably use more than others do. For instance, I had a litre bottle of oil and a bottle of balsamic vinegar in a bag and that was heavy enough for me. Two cartons of concentrated orange juice are too much for me in one bag.

At the moment, I'm accepting ordinary carrier bags so I'll have a cupboard or two or three of them so I won;t have to buy them for a few years. I bet I;m not the only one.

I don't use the self-service tills either because they always tell you to do something that you've already done.

Poolomoomon Sat 06-Dec-14 16:29:26

I don't think the self service ones are quicker either. If you've bought something age restricted you have to wait on a member of staff to come tell the machine you're over 18. And they're notoriously bad at knowing when you've put something in the bag or not. "please take the last item out of the bag" so you do, then put it back "please wait, an assistant is coming." oh and you have to put the barcode in for certain items or go through the loose item menu for loose fruit and veg and let it weigh it. It's a right kerfuffle I think. I only use them if the tills are packed and self service empty or if I'm buying something like sanitary towels which I still stupidly get all red faced about (I know, I know...)

As for the bags, I love the fact Scotland are charging universally now and the fact it's such a PITA to get carrier bags from self service. Maybe this will encourage more people to remember to bring their reusable bags! Anything to get us using less plastic is a good thing IMO. I don't think people can be trusted to not lie and take a big wad of bags, no.

wonkylegs Sat 06-Dec-14 16:53:26

B&q and morrisons use the same awful self scan tills that don't really work. It's worse in B&Q because ours no longer has regular tills just one harangued looking staff member rushing between 4 broken self service tills.
Even though it's the closest DIY store I actively avoid it when I can as the experience is so depressing.

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Dec-14 16:55:46

When something happens on the Morrisons ones the staff member just comes over, taps the screen a bit and then you carry on. confused

TremoloGreen Sun 07-Dec-14 19:21:50

just take your own bags. problem solved. that's what the new charges are trying to promote...

BumpAndGrind Tue 16-Dec-14 17:17:59

I sold a couple in my shop a 5 ten quid scratch cards. except I put it through wrong while chatting and mindlessly charged them for only one. They pointed out my mistake.

Not everyone are shits smile

pamish Tue 16-Dec-14 18:48:53

Self service machines cost jobs. My local tesco which is huge, with twelve checkouts during the day, shuts all the normal tills at 10pm, leaving TWO staff to run the shop - one on the one-basket till, where one basket is not what gets offered up; and one spinning frantically between the eight robots. Obviously it's to punish us for daring to shop after ten (it closes at midnight) but for an area with huge unemployment, and staff costing £8 an hour, this pennypinching has dire consequences for all of us. I've stopped shopping where I can't speak to a human.

(And I bring my own bags -how difficult is that?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now