Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked that there are men who want to breast feed...

(23 Posts)
akennyg Sat 06-Dec-14 01:51:42

And women who will take cash to feed them?
onlythebreast.co.uk/breast-milk-classifieds-uk/browse-categories/26/men-wanting-milk/

Wow! It's a new one on me- did you know this was a thing??

MillionToOneChances Sat 06-Dec-14 01:54:29

I accidentally found out about the adult nappy scene shock via a careless google search term when my kids were little, so nothing like this surprises me any more.

AGnu Sat 06-Dec-14 02:06:03

I read the title & assumed that men wanted to be able to feed their babies from their own breasts. Bit weird, I thought, but theoretically possible I believe & I can see some men wanting to know what it's like...

The thought of breastfeeding an adult stranger gives me the heebie jeebies. <Shudder>

EatShitDezza Sat 06-Dec-14 02:27:31

I thought you me at men want to feed their own child and I was about to say I'd quite like to pee stood up but this is not what I expected!

Bulbasaur Sat 06-Dec-14 02:31:09

I'm not sure which is weirder. The thought that men want to breast feed their babies, which I originally thought this was about. Or the fact that women actually take up these ads and breast feed adult men.

Ick.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 06-Dec-14 02:57:05

Yeah I knew it was a thing. Of all the weird and wonderful fetishes out there it's pretty harmless.

moxon Sat 06-Dec-14 04:06:08

A little bit of research happening out there on getting male lactation up to the point of allowing them to successfully breastfeed. You can already induce lactation in women who e.g. adopt with reasonable success presuming you start hormone treatment early, and since men have the physical ability to produce milk it just needs a bit more hormonal influence...and a change in societal thinking! It would be great for adoptive couples, gay parents, for mothers who cannot breastfeed but their partners could, and generally for sharing the workload in heterosexual couples.
I have no idea what research is being conducted into the OP's actual reference activity....? hmm I'm guessing one could start with Freud for that.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sat 06-Dec-14 04:49:15

I would love it if dh could bf our children. <As dh snores away next to me while I'm on nightfeed duty>

As for wanting to bf from a woman themselves, if both parties are happy then it's up to them imo. People are into weirder stuff.

Bulbasaur Sat 06-Dec-14 05:40:47

moxon I cannot imagine that pumping artificial hormones into a person (male or female) will be good for the baby, even if it were possible.

The entire point of breastfeeding is for the nutritional value.

Assuming they were perfectly safe, artificial hormones would not accomplish anything better than formula for the same reasons vitamin pills are inferior to eating vegetables and getting your nutrition straight from the source.

moxon Sat 06-Dec-14 06:13:51

Bulbasaur Not artificial hormones as such, but triggering the prolactin process naturally, as they currently do for some mothers who adopt infants and want to breastfeed. Some bodies will do it without help (even adoptive bodies), others need some guiding (even pregnant ones); sometimes it doesn't work at all as lots of people know. I think the argument is closer to allowing the experience for bonding reasons and short term feeding than for longterm breastfeeding. From what I've read I think in adoptive mothers (unless someone on here has experience of this and can correct me) the process doesn't produce colostrum, for example. And you don't always need explicit hormones. Domperidone will encourage prolactin secretion; I've taken it to boost my supply when I went through a 'dry' spell and if was brilliant.

3bunnies Sat 06-Dec-14 06:21:39

I would love to see Claridge's and Farage's reaction to a man breastfeeding in public. Would be great too in terms of parental leave. I did try to persuade dh to try to stimulate lactation but he wasn't keen.

Could open up new possibilities for the gentlemen in the OP!

Bulbasaur Sat 06-Dec-14 06:24:49

moxon I could perhaps see that for mothers, since women biologically will naturally produce breast milk under the right circumstances.

But for men who are not biologically able to produce it? I can't imagine it being any better than formula.

moxon Sat 06-Dec-14 06:42:20

But men can produce breastmilk! The goodies are all there. Lactation is a symptom of a number of disorders and meds, and it is not hugely uncommon. Generally though because it is an unwanted effect and seen as embarrassing, it is not commonly discussed. Most men won't go round saying they are leaking milk to their mates over a beer in the pub. shock

moxon Sat 06-Dec-14 06:43:58

Could open up new possibilities for the gentlemen in the OP!

grin

Waltonswatcher Sat 06-Dec-14 07:40:24

I could do this!
Is it lucrative ?
I could still mn at the same time too.

Tryharder Sat 06-Dec-14 08:00:49

I didn't realise it was possible for adults to actually latch on and breastfeed.i thought the latch reflex was lost at around the age of 7.

Tryharder Sat 06-Dec-14 08:04:04

I wonder how much you can charge to breastfeed an adult male for sexual purposes??

Anyone?

Waltonswatcher Sat 06-Dec-14 08:06:32

I don't think it's sexual . I watched a programme about it once . It's more comfort and security . There's no sex involved usually.

ReluctantCamper Sat 06-Dec-14 08:09:26

I know. It could funds my maternity leave. Tempting..... not really

bf1000 Sat 06-Dec-14 08:19:28

In Mongolia - breastfeeding is seen as normal part of childhood and breastmilk as of great nutritional importance.
If someone is engorged - and baby is wanting to feed a family member, friend etc will relieve that engorgement. If expressed milk is in the fridge anyone in the family would choose to drink it. If someone in the area is poorly they will be given breastmilk from lactating mothers to help with their recovery.

Breast milk is very highly regarded and their whole outlook is very different. Breastfeeding in public is met with approval from everyone.

on a different note - stimulating lactation in adoptive mothers is possible via pumping before adoption and then using a supplemental feeding system. It may be possibel to produce enough milk to feed breastfeeds only but it is likely feeds will need supplementing however the bonding would be wonderful for baby and mum.
Males are also genetically able to produce milk. There has been cases where this has occurred so it could be stimulated through pumping etc too if someone wanted to.

cheesecakemom Sat 06-Dec-14 08:58:58

*In Mongolia - breastfeeding is seen as normal part of childhood and breastmilk as of great nutritional importance.
If someone is engorged - and baby is wanting to feed a family member, friend etc will relieve that engorgement. If expressed milk is in the fridge anyone in the family would choose to drink it.*

In Mongolia it's also custom for visitors to wash their hair in their hosts' urine!

DoJo Sat 06-Dec-14 09:13:21

As a general rule, if you can imagine it - someone is turned on by it.

Whatsthewhatsthebody Sat 06-Dec-14 11:46:16

Mongolia the new tourist destination confused

Actually with my 4th child I got completely and utterly engirged with a blocked milk duct. The pain was awful and tried feeding to clear it but nothing was working.

Finally I got dhs head held it to my nipple and told him to suck hard.

He did and it just magically unblocked. The milk just gushed out and the relief was immediate.

Now sometimes during the last 26 years of marriage a similar situation with a role reversal had sometimes occurred Iycwim.smile so that was karma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now