Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To tip our cleaner?

(24 Posts)
Siennasun Fri 05-Dec-14 20:59:16

This May be the most 1st world problem ever.

If you have a cleaner is it normal to tip them at Christmas?
We always used to tip our previous cleaner about £30-40 at Christmas.
Also, throughout the year if I didn't have exact change I'd just give her £20 and say keep the change, which she was fine with.
Our new cleaner didn't like that and insisted on bringing the £2 'owed' the following week.
Anyway, I don't know whether to give her extra money at Christmas now. She's a nice lady and she does a good job but I don't want to offend her, either by tipping or not tipping.
What do other people do? fconfused

steff13 Fri 05-Dec-14 21:03:25

I think it's appropriate to tip at Christmas. Even if she doesn't like it during the year, she will probably look at it as a kind of Christmas bonus.

Definitely tip her. You could always give her a gift voucher (m&s or something) in a Xmas card if you think she'd be uncomfortable with cash.

Only1scoop Fri 05-Dec-14 21:12:36

Yes a tip or gift for sure

KatyS36 Fri 05-Dec-14 21:14:02

We get ours a gift. This year it's a bottle of good quality prosecco.
Katy

Ericaequites Fri 05-Dec-14 21:14:30

Tip the cost of one week's service in cash or gift certificate to m&s or similar. I've done this for years with my cleaners, and remind them it's Christmas and your way of saying thanks.

strawberrie Fri 05-Dec-14 21:16:34

Yes, I've had the same cleaner for 3 years now and give her money in a card at Christmas. Actually i had been thinking that I would give her it next week, as she might be glad of the money a bit in advance of christmas.

hillbilly Fri 05-Dec-14 21:17:17

Yes we always tip our cleaner. The problem is that I never remember from one year to the next how much I give her confused

UngratefulMoo Fri 05-Dec-14 21:19:22

I don't consider it tipping - I think of it as a Christmas bonus. At my company we get 2 weeks pay as a bonus, so that's what I give my cleaner. I don't tip her the rest of the year (although we did give her a payrise last year). I do get her a birthday present and an Easter egg smile

Siennasun Fri 05-Dec-14 21:31:13

Great, I will do what I used to then. Thanks fsmile

Balaboosta Sat 06-Dec-14 08:44:49

Absolutely! Be generous as you can afford to be. Vouchers and a bunch of flowers are a nice way to do this.

UncleT Sat 06-Dec-14 08:50:02

Yes. Definitely a good cash bonus or a present.

Trickydecision Sat 06-Dec-14 08:53:07

I don't tip her as such, but pay her when we are away as it is not her fault. This year she will have had about five weeks like this. She is a Jehovah's Witness so no Christmas or birthday presents as such, but we do have a giggle about non-Christmas and non-birthday wine.

Bowlersarm Sat 06-Dec-14 08:53:15

Yes I give a weeks extra money for Christmas.

MomOfTwoGirls2 Sat 06-Dec-14 08:57:38

I give a weeks money too.

Vycount Sat 06-Dec-14 09:58:07

I think it's nice to put cash in a card. Not vouchers, it restricts how she can spend the money. I should think she'll accept that because it's a gift, I can understand why she prefers to keep things professional on a weekly basis with the right amount being paid.

SmilingHappyBeaver Sat 06-Dec-14 09:58:55

I don't "tip" during the year, but usually give our cleaner £30-50 at Christmas, and also we give her son (12) £10 as a present. For the first couple of Christmas's we gave her Wine, but then discovered that she and her DH don't drink wine, so we changed to giving her a cash "bonus" so she can spend it one what she likes, which she seems happier with.

cheesecakemom Sat 06-Dec-14 10:01:22

You could give her a voucher instead? Or a gift?

CatCushion Sat 06-Dec-14 10:18:54

Tips count as income and are taxable.

Call it a Christmas gift and it isn't taxable.

unlucky83 Sat 06-Dec-14 10:28:05

I would give her a present of cash. Not a tip -a gift. A gift card does feel less obvious, less like charity, less 'bountiful master' but is restrictive.
(My DCs for birthdays have been given gift cards for eg Waterstones but I tend to be a regular library users/buy second hand for environmental reasons so we end up buying something we don't need just to use it...feels a bit wasteful)
She probably isn't rolling in money and cash will be more useful at this time of year than a bottle of wine/flowers/chocolates...

slithytove Sat 06-Dec-14 11:11:21

Love to shop voucher?

Siennasun Sat 06-Dec-14 12:28:55

I thought about vouchers/gifts instead but don't know what she likes or where she wants to shop. If I knew her a better I'd do that but I wouldn't know what to get.
You're right it is a gift, not a tip so I'll just go with a Christmas gift of cash in a card. Thanks for all the replies. fsmile

RainbowSpiral Sat 06-Dec-14 15:15:47

I'd suggest something like a John Lewis voucher as that can be used in Waitrose as well. But it is a bit more of a gift than cash.

HamishBamish Sat 06-Dec-14 15:27:32

Yes, we tip 3 weeks pay. She likes cash, so that's what we give her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now