Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dh has swapped Friday night beers for innocent smoothies, not that much healthier right?

(56 Posts)
marryj Fri 05-Dec-14 20:04:28

Dh is having a dry weekend so came home with large 2 innocent smoothie cartons (half price) and has already consumed one and will be on the other soon.

Aibu to thnk this habit isn't really that healthy?

It is cheaper though at 3 quid at least

TheAwfulDaughter Fri 05-Dec-14 20:06:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Fri 05-Dec-14 20:06:55

Well, beer is sugar and alcohol and innocent smoothies are fructose sugar dairy and tones of fruit.

Im thinking his body will prefer the latter.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Fri 05-Dec-14 20:08:13

It's a lot of sugar. Difficult to say if it's worse than the beer as it depends how much he drinks... but of course beer has sugar in it too.

None of the nice stuff is good for you sad

Liara Fri 05-Dec-14 20:08:39

Of course it's healthier.

Like anything else, would be better in moderation, though.

littledonkeysaurus Fri 05-Dec-14 20:10:59

Am I the only one wondering if he's going to be spending his dry weekend tethered to the loo after all that runny fruit?

GinFace Fri 05-Dec-14 20:11:37

I nearly swallowed my tongue when I saw how much sugar was in one of those little individual bottles of Innocent.

Beer is much more fun.

chantico Fri 05-Dec-14 20:12:06

How often does he drink alcohol?

If it's usually daily, and this is his first break in a while, it is definitely healthier. It's a pity if it takes a sugary prop, though. But still better than daily booze.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Fri 05-Dec-14 20:12:38

He can drink water, black coffee, black tea or fruit tea/red bush. Not replace one bad habit with another!

I'm going to be having beer with my curry shortly.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Fri 05-Dec-14 20:14:52

How much sugar GinFace?

marryj Fri 05-Dec-14 20:17:54

He's not that big of a drinker but likes to at the weekend. Tbh I think these smoothies are worse for health because he thinks he's being healthy but actually he's not.

I'm siping fennel tea and he turned his nose up at it.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Fri 05-Dec-14 20:19:25

Hes being healthier. If you swap alcohol for fruit - even if its squashed - it is healthier.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Fri 05-Dec-14 20:20:02

And I literally JUST went to my cupboard for fennel tea but I was out, gutted.

Swapped for a near second, camomile.

museumum Fri 05-Dec-14 20:21:35

It is healthier than beer as he is at least getting roughage and some vitamins with his watery sugar. And importantly he's not poisoning his body with ethanol. But it's not exactly "healthy".

LittleBairn Fri 05-Dec-14 20:22:49

Innocemt smoothies have no dairy in them nor do they have fructose syrup in them. They are full of sugar but its natural sugar.

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Fri 05-Dec-14 20:23:45

With around 120cals and a massive 25g sugar per 250ml serving, if he's bought the large 1ltr cartons and drinks both of them, he's looking at the best part of 1,000 calories and a humungous 200 grams of sugar just in his drinks. That's disgusting, frankly.

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Fri 05-Dec-14 20:25:30

There's only around 180 calories in a pint of average beer - he could have five pints for the same amount of calories as the smoothies, with virtually none of the sugars. He's better off having his couple of cans in all honesty.

XiCi Fri 05-Dec-14 20:28:50

I'm sure a couple of pints would be far better for his health and wellbeing than all that fructose. He's going to have a mighty stomach ache and will probably be on the toilet all night after consuming that much!

GinFace Fri 05-Dec-14 20:30:45

lumpen It was one of those 'Defence' ones total bollocks and if I recall correctly, around 25/26g sugar.

Tasted nice though grin

AliceinWinterWonderland Fri 05-Dec-14 20:42:19

I suppose it's better for his liver, right?

LumpenproletariatAndProud Fri 05-Dec-14 20:43:52

Ive had one with dairy in. hmm

And I didnt say fructose syrup.

youareallbonkers Fri 05-Dec-14 20:44:15

Depends why he is doing it. If it's to cut calories then no but if it's to cut alcohol then yes

Liara Fri 05-Dec-14 20:45:36

But the calories in beer are all empty calories - it has no nutritional value, whereas a smoothie does.

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Fri 05-Dec-14 20:49:02

Drinking 1,000 calories and 200 grams of sugar is not nutritious by any stretch of the imagination though. Drinking one single 250ml portion might be, but potentially 2ltrs? No, not in this world.

Liara Fri 05-Dec-14 20:52:08

Well, a couple of pints is just over 1 litre, so he is replacing two pints (if that is indeed all he had) with four, but like for like it is definitely better.

As I said above, in moderation would be much better (on both counts).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now