Talk

Advanced search

Should i report this to the police and anyone else who will listen

(71 Posts)
FUCKYOUPigeon Fri 05-Dec-14 18:04:36

So DD comes home from school tonight and there is clearly something bothering her. After finally getting it out of her i am livid. Turns out that twat child in her year has pulled a knife out and held it to the throat of one of there class mates on the way either to or from school and said i could kill you. One of her friends who only lives a couple of doors away from this little twat said to her, i am scared and i want to come and live at your house so he isnt anywhere near me.

They are yr 6 ffs what is the little bastard doing with a penknife anyway. School have been informed and have "dealt with it" by way of telling his parents who have grounded him.
The rest of the class have been told it has been dealt with and if anyone mentions it they will be in red (traffic light system for behaviour).
After i found this out i rang a friend and spoke to her, she had already rang school, reception obviously knew why she was calling and put her straight through to the head who threatened her with we have dealt with it, i have my spies if any of this ends up on facebook we will take legal action.

I would have thought it was in the schools interest to have used the police to sort it out rather than keep it quiet and try sweeping it under the carpet with threats against both children and adults.

This child is a fucking nightmare and almost everyone in the year has been threatened or hit by him at somepoint since they started primary, his parents dont seem give a shit and he is out roaming the streets as he pleases most of the time

Would i be unreasonable to report it to the police using the 101 number and will they even be interested if i do, is there anywhere else that can hold the school to task for trying to brush it under the carpet will ofsted or the education dept of the council be bothered if it is reported to them

StripedOss Fri 05-Dec-14 18:07:13

i'd bloody report it to OFSTED and the police. They shouldn't be brushing it under the carpet or threatening parents about it either.

26Point2Miles Fri 05-Dec-14 18:07:57

try it...see what happens
HT sounds a bit scared tbh

CleaninQueen Fri 05-Dec-14 18:08:33

I would! Then again I'm a hormonal pregnant rhino. I'd also be fuming at the school and withdrawing my child as they're clearly morons.

DoraGora Fri 05-Dec-14 18:09:53

Yes, threatening someone with a knife is a crime and, if they're in Y6, there is a chance that the boy is over the age of criminal responsibility (10yrs)

Report it as a crime in as much detail as possible. Let the police handle the school.

Pipbin Fri 05-Dec-14 18:09:57

"i'd bloody report it to OFSTED and the police. They shouldn't be brushing it under the carpet or threatening parents about it either."

But it happened outside school.

DoraGora Fri 05-Dec-14 18:10:40

The head teacher sounds like a proper cock.

DoraGora Fri 05-Dec-14 18:11:51

It doesn't matter that it happened outside the school. Children are bound to represent the school on or of its premises whilst in uniform.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Fri 05-Dec-14 18:11:56

Yes call the police.

beginnerrunner Fri 05-Dec-14 18:12:41

Yes report it to the police because it sounds like the child needs help. They might get social services to support him and the family.

I hate that you have called this child a twat. I absolutely understand your fear for your child and the other children in the class but you probably have no idea about this child's upbringing and what he, himself, is going through on a day to day basis.

I taught a child who brought a weapon in one day. You have absolutely no idea about the kind of life that poor child went through. If he hadn't been severely messed up it would have been a miracle. You honestly can't even begin to imagine the life he led.

FUCKYOUPigeon Fri 05-Dec-14 18:13:49

Head is an absolute arse and always knows best, never listens to anyone else and everyone has to toe the line so they dont upset her

Wouldnt be my first run in with her and i suspect wont be the last

Looks pretty unanimous so far so police and ofsted it is then

FluffyJawsOfDoom Fri 05-Dec-14 18:14:20

Yes! If he does it (or worse) again, you will never forgive yourself.

Icimoi Fri 05-Dec-14 18:14:29

This is a difficult one. Obviously the school should be taking it incredibly seriously if a child brings a knife into school, and if he used it to threaten a child on the way to or from school I would have thought it comes within their remit. For an older child it would certainly lead to permanent exclusion.

The problem may however be evidence. The police won't do a great deal as this child is under the age of criminal responsibility, and if the only other witnesses are 6 year olds it would be very dangerous to hang any other action on that. They might be persuaded to talk to the parents and alert social services, however. In fact SS should probably be alerted direct anyway.

The head is talking nonsense about legal action. I would suggest that you phone the school yourself, take detailed notes of everything the head says, and if she repeats the same threats send a copy to her saying you are just doing so to clarify your understanding of what she said. If she doesn't come straight back to you denying it, she has in effect confirmed it. Then go straight to the Chair of Governors with a formal complaint both in relation to the original incident and the way the head is dealing with it.

However, you do need to be very cautious about this. School issues have a tend to grow through Chinese whispers, and I suspect that what the school is concerned about is their own duty of care to the child in question: they cannot have him being demonised by people who only have half truths. So make absolutely sure you have the facts right before jumping in.

Icimoi Fri 05-Dec-14 18:14:58

tendency, not tend.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 05-Dec-14 18:15:14

Yes. Report to police.

However, I agree with the school that it shouldn't be gossiped about aa the child deserves privacy and probably gas issues.

CatBreath Fri 05-Dec-14 18:15:21

Report it to Police. Tell them everything. I'll bet this child is a problem to people outside the school too. The Police may already know him. If he has been behaving badly for a while it has clearly escalated. In a way (ie by increasingly acting out) the boy is "begging" for someone to do something. So be that person.
He clearly has significant boundary issues and a worrying lack of remorse and these are dangerous, being likely to escalate over the next few years.

FUCKYOUPigeon Fri 05-Dec-14 18:15:38

Yr 6, - 10 and 11 year olds

CatBreath Fri 05-Dec-14 18:16:20

Meant to say-I am a Police Officer. Don't feel bad about telling them. He sounds out of control.

DoraGora Fri 05-Dec-14 18:16:38

OP, I don't know the situation with your particular head. But, here's one who got sacked for bullying parents
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-25914074

MrsPiggie Fri 05-Dec-14 18:18:06

Why the hell is the school even trying to brush this under the carpet?? If they can't be arsed dealing with the problem they should let police or social services do it. I don't know what grounds for legal action they would have against any parent who reported it either.

FUCKYOUPigeon Fri 05-Dec-14 18:18:55

Thanks DoraGora, may just print that article out and pin it to the lamp posts outside school for her to see

Ohfourfoxache Fri 05-Dec-14 18:19:19

Yes, police and OFSTED.

Although it happened outside of school the HT should not be threatening pupils or parents.

Is there any way that someone could get the HT to put this in writing? <hopeful>

LadyLuck10 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:19:46

Yes report it. This vile person needs to be removed from the school. Why should so many Children be in fear because of one person.

tiggytape Fri 05-Dec-14 18:23:03

The police won't do a great deal as this child is under the age of criminal responsibility

No he's not. Year 6 means he is 10 (or possibly 11)
The age of criminal responsibility in England in 10
The police will want to know - if his parents don't care to the extent he is out at all hours and is carrying a knife, proper intervention is needed. His parents aren't offering that and the school certainly aren't.

I'd report to Ofsted and copy to the governors simply because the Head's reaction to threaten parents is horrendous. If the school cannot deal with this without closing ranks and bullying tactics, again proper intervention is needed. This is a very serious issue.

headlesslambrini Fri 05-Dec-14 18:25:02

You should see what they bring into high schools then if you think a pen knife is bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now