Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wish Christmas shoppers wouldn't head into town right in the middle of morning rush hour

(63 Posts)
Fallingovercliffs Fri 05-Dec-14 12:29:01

Fair enough, some of them have good reasons and other pressing things to do that day.

But AIBU to think that surely some of the hundreds of extra cars on the road, making it hell trying to get into work on time, could just wait an extra hour and let people get into work first?

JennyOnTheBlocks Fri 05-Dec-14 12:31:30

i agree, maybe all the shops should stay shut until after rush hour, then all the shop workers cold have a lay in...and then be travelling into town at the same time as the shoppers...

oh wait

maybe it's just for a few weeks a year and we should be a little more tolerant? leave the house a few mins earlier?

merry christmas btw fgrin

Fudgeface123 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:31:58

I totally agree but I suspect we'll get accused of BU.

It's like the blood test dept at our local hospital, it opens at 7.00 so all the workers can go before work yet there's always a long queue of pensioners at the door grin

LadyLuck10 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:32:42

Yes maybe everyone just wait till you get to work then get on with their lives.

MaryWestmacott Fri 05-Dec-14 12:33:20

Op, even more will do just that, not letting you get to work first, but having a lazy breakfast, or do the school run etc first. Those city centres and shopping malls will be heaving around lunch time, best to arrive as doors open, then be gone before the hordes arrive. smile

asmallandnoisymonkey Fri 05-Dec-14 12:34:41

No I think that's fair enough - it's a bit like the free bus passes not being valid until after 9 or whatever time it is!

wanttosqueezeyou Fri 05-Dec-14 12:42:50

YABU to think you are more important than anyone else and to lack the imagination to think of a dozen reasons why people maybe going Christmas shopping during your commute time.

HappenstanceMarmite Fri 05-Dec-14 12:45:34

Not all "workers" have standard, run-of-the-mill 9 to 5 jobs you know.

Fallingovercliffs Fri 05-Dec-14 12:46:58

I don't think I'm more important than anyone else or that none of the people have reasons to shop early (as I stated in the first line of my OP). I just don't think it makes sense for those who could wait an hour or so, to pile out into the busiest traffic of the day making it difficult for those who have to travel at that time to get into work.

Fallingovercliffs Fri 05-Dec-14 12:47:38

No Happens I know that. But the majority do, hence 'rush hour'.

magimedi Fri 05-Dec-14 12:47:44

It's like the blood test dept at our local hospital, it opens at 7.00 so all the workers can go before work yet there's always a long queue of pensioners at the door.

Maybe some of those 'pensioners' still work, or look after grandchildren or do much needed volunteering. All of which might require an early start as well.

Bunbaker Fri 05-Dec-14 12:53:11

Not all the extra cars are shoppers. The shops themselves hire extra staff so a lot of the traffic will be the extra staff driving to work.

angelos02 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:57:05

YANBU. If you've got all day, why head out so early?

QweenCnut Fri 05-Dec-14 13:53:07

How do you know they're going shopping OP?

Fallingovercliffs Fri 05-Dec-14 13:59:13

I assume, as it happens every Christmas, that it's people heading into town to shop. Not sure what other conclusion you would draw?

ApocalypseThen Fri 05-Dec-14 14:09:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Floisme Fri 05-Dec-14 14:22:23

Or maybe their time isn't their own? Just a thought.

ilovesooty Fri 05-Dec-14 14:25:01

So pensioners shouldn't be allowed to travel in the late afternoon or early evening then?

DidoTheDodo Fri 05-Dec-14 14:27:34

Lots of negative generalisation of older people on this thread. People have a right to travel or go to the blood testing place at whatever time suits them, regardless of their age.

Andrewofgg Fri 05-Dec-14 14:28:14

Fudgeface123 some of those pensioners will be fasting.

I'm sixty odd but still working. When I need a blood test, yes, I'm there when the door opens, so I can hurry on to work. You can't tell me from a pensioner - they don't all wear cardigans, you know - so perhaps you should leave Judge Mental at home where s/he belongs next time you get a test?

Kiffykaffycoffee Fri 05-Dec-14 14:31:50

Perhaps they're trying to beat the rush? The shops are nice and quiet at 9 am. An hour later they are heaving. If I wasn't working or doing the school run that's when I'd do my Christmas shopping.

elQuintoConyo Fri 05-Dec-14 14:31:51

Who made you the Queen of 8am?

Summerisle1 Fri 05-Dec-14 14:33:03

This ridiculous generalisation of "pensioners" is just....well just plain ridiculous. My DH qualifies as a pensioner yet has a full time job. He's been seriously ill and this has actually aged him, appearance wise too. Yet if he's in a queue at the hospital or on a bus at peak times (neither unusual!) it's because he has to get to work! People have the right to choose when to shop or travel regardless of age.

I'd really prefer Christmas shoppers to space out their journeys across the whole day, to be honest. Although I would suggest that anyone coming home from London on peak hour trains at this time of year needs to understand that they can't actually have one seat for themselves and two more for their Christmas shopping.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 05-Dec-14 14:33:10

It doesn't happen at Christmas, it happens in the winter when a significant percentage of the people who otherwise walk/cycle or whatever to work or to drop their kids off at school, use their cars instead.

ilovesooty Fri 05-Dec-14 14:34:49

The judgemental ageism exhibited on this thread is ample evidence of why some of us feel that MNHQ should be making more efforts to raise awareness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now