Talk

Advanced search

to think the school should change wording of letters if they don't mean what the letter says

(62 Posts)
dingdongknockknock Fri 05-Dec-14 10:07:48

Dc1 brought a letter home from school about school play.

In it it said "we would like to allow photos, but if any parent does not want photos took we will arrange another time for photos to be took as we would not be able to allow photos or videos to be took"
So I told school I don't want dc1 to be in any photos for safety reasons

This morning the teacher stopped me and basically backed me into the corner to allow photos to be took (as its lovely to have photos took and they would make sure dc1 is in the corner and wearing something on DC head so no one can reconise DC)

So AIBU to think the school should not have put they will stop photos if really they push and push until the parent agrees to allow photos?

BigRedBall Fri 05-Dec-14 10:09:36

Did they really write "took"?

WorraLiberty Fri 05-Dec-14 10:11:03

Are you going for the world 'took' typing record?

SantasBassoon Fri 05-Dec-14 10:12:23

Taken, surely?

Writerwannabe83 Fri 05-Dec-14 10:13:14

I wouldn't be sending my child to a school who would send out nonsensical letters like that - Lord knows what the child is bring taught grin

Took grin grin

BigRedBall Fri 05-Dec-14 10:13:40

Maybe she's been reading Lord of the Rings?... A lot....

Jackie0 Fri 05-Dec-14 10:14:25

"Took" ??????
No way did the letter say that , that's hilarious grin

LaurieFairyCake Fri 05-Dec-14 10:14:26

What safety reasons do you have ?

I've had foster children that couldn't appear in photos for legitimate safety reasons.

Are you running from an ex?

Writerwannabe83 Fri 05-Dec-14 10:14:29

BEING taught - obviously. For some reason my phone always changes the word 'being' to 'bring' it drives me mad

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 05-Dec-14 10:14:48

^"So I told school I don't want dc1 to be in any photos for safety reasons"
It sounds as if the teacher in question didn't understand properly. I think you should contact the head teacher and explain to them that you do not want photographs taken and why. Tell them you felt pressured by the teacher.

LurkingHusband Fri 05-Dec-14 10:15:08

Sadly nothing new ... it was a depressing feature of DS childhood that every letter from school was beset with spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. We felt a lot better when he started correcting them grin.

FelixTitling Fri 05-Dec-14 10:15:50

I would be challenging the school about their terrible English.

However, if they're anything like my kids school, they will take photo's regardless of whether you have given permission and then post said photos of your child all over twitter without letting you know.

Do you have a good reason for the photo's not to be took?

FelixTitling Fri 05-Dec-14 10:18:47

We have had this is a letter from school this week:

Could you brush the younger children's hair twice a day, if they have lice this will help to break their legs leading to immobilization and death

seems a little harsh.

Chandon Fri 05-Dec-14 10:19:08

took?!

Writerwannabe83 Fri 05-Dec-14 10:19:50

They don't beat around the bush do they felix shock

Jackie0 Fri 05-Dec-14 10:20:19

The entire letter is gibberish though.
So if you don't want your dc's photo 'took' they will arrange for photos to be taken at another time?
How is that different?
There are plenty of instances where it is not advisable to photograph school children , some adoption scenarios spring to mind. I imagine the school wouldn't be completely naïve about such things.

InfinitySeven Fri 05-Dec-14 10:22:25

Felix Really?! I thought that idea was disproved a millennia a go... Lice are far too small to be damaged by a normal hairbrush. A nit comb can damage them, but it's intended to remove them, not cause mass death.

"Took" made me laugh, too.

OP - If you have a legit reason for not wanting photographs to be taken, explain it to the school. If you're just being difficult, they'll probably want to convince you to allow photos, because it's a pain for everyone else not to be able to have them.

dingdongknockknock Fri 05-Dec-14 10:24:14

I was supposed to write taken but I had dc2 on my knee and predictive text carried on typing other words.

It was actually the headteacher who spoke to me and yes I do have safety reasons why I don't want DC in photos but even if I didn't it shouldn't matter as its the parents decision.

I forgot this is mn and most seem to pick up spelling and grammer.

TimelyNameChangey Fri 05-Dec-14 10:27:53

Didn't they ask you to sign a form about this when the DC started school? Most schools have this in place for all children then they know which ones to remove at photo time.

dingdongknockknock Fri 05-Dec-14 10:28:23

The school are aware of my reasons and understand. I wish I could agree as dc1 is missing from a lot of photos for this reason, yes I'm fleeing from an ex partner who has threatened to stab me and take then children if he finds where I am.

dingdongknockknock Fri 05-Dec-14 10:29:58

Yes i did sign a form which has not been listened to. (Photos appearing on the school website which I had to ask to be removed 3 times before they were removed)

JohnCusacksWife Fri 05-Dec-14 10:31:55

Perhaps the school are simply trying to find a compromise solution that would allow your child to participate but keep him/her anonymous? They might be keen to do that if you're the only parent who has objected to photos? One wee girl in my DDs class is always excluded from school photos and she cries every time when she's made to sit out. Perhaps they're just trying to avoid that scenario.

AvonCallingBarksdale Fri 05-Dec-14 10:32:56

What's with all the "tooking" grin. Come on, OP, that can't be the letter verbatim, surely?!

Jackie0 Fri 05-Dec-14 10:32:56

Only when the spelling and grammar is so poor that the post is practically unreadable.

You need to email or see the headteacher again and say that they got you on the back foot and now that you have reflected on the matter you really must insist that they follow your wishes and that you have very valid reasons for your decision.
Do not be intimidated by them. You are putting your dc's safety before their convenience , and you are right.

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Fri 05-Dec-14 10:33:35

Sometimes the grammar police need to back off a bit as it is entirely irrelevant to the OP.
OP, in your case, if the school are aware of your reasons then you should go back to the school and complain about the pressure you felt. It's entirely reasonable for your child to be kept out of the photos and they should be sympathetic to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now