Talk

Advanced search

A mouse ate my cuppa soup aibu to feel targeted?

(19 Posts)
Superchop Fri 05-Dec-14 07:12:56

A mouse keeps stealing the food in my cupboard. He's thoughtfully gnawed through the packaging under my ikea bag clip and eaten all my coriander seeds, coriander powder (who'd have thought a mouse would like corianderconfused) gnawed a hole into my cuppa soup so the powder went everywhere as I was leaving for work. He's also helped himself to a slice of bread and a bit of an oxo cube, whilst lovingly shitting all over my tins as he made his exit. Aibu to feel like I am being targeted in my weakest moment? I am in the middle of a pgce with looming deadlines, Christmas on its way and a poorly teething 1yo. I really don't have time for mischievous mouse.

Does anyone know whether peppermint oil works. I just bought some. I would like to sit and wait with a pellet gun but I'd probably miss. It's a shame he doesn't try the hot chilli powder see if he likes that. Any other successes at ridding the house from mice?

scaevola Fri 05-Dec-14 07:20:41

Peppermint oil doesn't really work once one has taken up residence (it might deter a new arrival from actually arriving, but won't drive away one who is there).

You need snap traps.

And get as much food as you can in high up cupboards with well fitting doors. Or put in sturdy containers.

We ended up with poison in the cellar before we eliminated our infestation properly. We bunged up so many holes we never knew we had (Victorian house) but the little blighters still wriggled their way round.

londonrach Fri 05-Dec-14 07:34:05

Give the mouse an apron and get it to cook xmas lunch as at this time of the year you need as many hands or paws you can get. grin. On a serious note dont mice (you could have a family) like chocolate. I remember using a rolo in a human trap once.

SageYourResoluteOracle Fri 05-Dec-14 07:37:08

London Rach- wasn't a human trap a tad extreme (and big?!) grin

Mice are a complete PITA but peanut butter can be rather good bait for them.

DurhamDurham Fri 05-Dec-14 07:40:26

We bought humane traps, they don't work so we had to get the nasty ones.......it wasn't a pretty sight but it did the trick. We never had any more so I think word must have spread through the mouse community to stay away.

londonrach Fri 05-Dec-14 07:41:19

Dam you autocorrect. You right it would be too big for a little mouse. grin

mrsm16 Fri 05-Dec-14 07:41:44

The fat off rashers is really good for attracting them into traps, chocolate they managed to take without getting caught!

No advice but you have my sympathy. I'm watching this thread with interest as we've just found the buggers in the loft (and two which I'm hoping are odd strays, in the kitchen). Much as I'm a rodent fan, invaders are not welcome!

avocadotoast Fri 05-Dec-14 08:13:00

Snap traps and peanut butter. It's awful, and gross when you have to deal with the bodies, but the humane traps don't work. The mouse we had broke ours!

Superchop Fri 05-Dec-14 08:31:20

Snap traps with bacon covered in peanut butter maybe the way forward. I just have an image of the dog with a snap trap on his nose.

How often do you have to check them? They're going to have to be put under the skirting board so it's not that simple to get to. If not then they will be inside the cupboard where little fingers can get

Superchop Fri 05-Dec-14 08:33:26

I reckon this mouse will make a nice table to Eat my food off of out of a humane trap.

avocadotoast Fri 05-Dec-14 08:52:38

Check them daily if you can. They're going to be most effective if you put them where you know the mice are going, but it's difficult if that gets in the way of day to day life. We had to put ours outside my housemate's bedroom door and she just had to remember not to stand on it...

Peepants78 Fri 05-Dec-14 09:06:18

It was clearly a direct attack. My grandfather was also a victim of one.
His only treat was a bar of fruit and nut. He was annoyed that gm kept eating it. She denied it. It was the only time anyone had ever seen them bicker he was a saint.
A mouse was eventually seen. she never let him hear the end of it It was a running joke until his death. grin

fascicle Fri 05-Dec-14 09:14:37

DurhamDurham and avocadotoast It's a huge and untrue generalisation to say that humane traps don't work. Like anything else, some models are more effective than others. I have one which is brilliant (20 cm long tunnel type thing) which has been very successful - everything is caught eventually. I also have a much shorter one that has never caught anything.

ACardiganForCat Fri 05-Dec-14 10:44:15

Get a cat.

londonrach Fri 05-Dec-14 10:46:20

Or a jack russell..

Helgathehairy Fri 05-Dec-14 10:51:56

I have a cat and a golden retriever. I have rescued mice from both (golden thinks they're toys, picks them up in his mouth and then gets confused about what to do with it!). The little bastards have invaded and eaten my chocolate chip cookies. I'm not impressed.

PoirotsMoustache Fri 05-Dec-14 10:52:47

Poor little mouse. Maybe it's starving and has a huge family to feed and no money to buy food. Won't anyone think of the baby mice??!!!!

Superchop Fri 05-Dec-14 16:04:48

My old dog was a great mouse catcher. The current one thinks he is too good for hunting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now