Talk

Advanced search

The term "little retards"

(11 Posts)
WrappedInABlankie Fri 05-Dec-14 01:50:56

A grown woman has used this term to describe the people who have burgled someone else. hmm Apparently I need to "get over it" and I'm a troll because she has special needs as do her kids and she doesn't find it offensive and it's just a phrase hmm

I mean seriously she thinks this is acceptable what is wrong with people hmm

YourKidsYourRulesHunXxx Fri 05-Dec-14 03:02:47

Maybe its because she has SN that she doesnt fully get why it would be offensive?

You're obviously not being unreasonable, why would you be? You know that its wrong, she obviously doesn't think it is. Nothing you can do except hope she doesn't say it to the wrong person.

ArsenicSoup Fri 05-Dec-14 05:25:02

Wow.

She sounds a bit un-enlightened, to say the least confused

Shakirasma Fri 05-Dec-14 07:21:26

It is a very offensive phrase and one which should ever go unchallenged, so well done OP.

As YourKids says though, maybe her own SN make it difficult to empathise with other people's feelings, or mean she doesn't actually fully understand the nastiness of the word.

SpecialAgentFreyPie Fri 05-Dec-14 09:45:09

I hate it when people pull the "Someone I know has SN and are okay with it" card. (Generalizing there as OP specifically mentioned the person she was speaking too had SN, but it's not far off) Just because you/someone you know doesn't find it offensive don't imply we all feel that way! DS1 is severely disabled. I am not okay with the R word. It's not a monolith, you don't get to speak for everyone!

/Rant.

WrappedInABlankie Fri 05-Dec-14 11:55:35

There was a brigade of my "sons brother/ my uncles cats mums sister" has special needs and I wasn't offended.

It shocks me that they all think it's a legitimate way to 'insult' someone.

jimineycrick3t Fri 05-Dec-14 12:15:03

I really don't like it when people speak like that.It's a lack of creative abilities on their behalf smile

If she isn't offended fair play and I'm sure her SN may well be the reason that she thinks you should just get over it.

My -- brothers friends cat-- wink DS has Asperger's and he would probably be more offended by being called stupid or daft than what the numpty woman said TBH...its just the way he relates to the words.

zippey Fri 05-Dec-14 12:21:26

It is obviously offensive, but I wonder if the next acceptable word we have for people with special needs will ultimately become unacceptable. For example I know people who will say "She/He must be special" or "they are a special needs case" when someone has done something silly.

Maybe we should just accept that language will always be used to express and hurt, and wordings will continually evolve, so maybe we should try to be less offended by certain language when people are not meaning it in the context with which they are saying, as in the OP's.

salsmum Fri 05-Dec-14 12:26:00

I REALLY hate this word...my DD is severely disabled and along with a few other words it makes me wanna spit when i hear it.

Whatsthewhatsthebody Fri 05-Dec-14 14:20:07

Unfortunately it's commen coin amongst teenagers today.

WrappedInABlankie Fri 05-Dec-14 14:25:55

She wasn't a teenager! A 30 year old mother though confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now