Talk

Advanced search

Psychosomatic spice prejudice

(18 Posts)
whereisvioleta Thu 04-Dec-14 20:56:07

Me and DH eat a really lovely homemade meal of meatballs with tomatoey sauce and spaghetti. Then we have the following conversation:

Me: That sauce was really delicious, thanks so much.
DH: It was really easy, just paprika and turmeric.
Me: Noooooooooo!!!! Curry spice in Italian food??? You've ruuuuuuuined it, waaaaahhh.

Drama drama (yes, lighthearted obvs) drama, gutted feeling that delicious meal I genuinely enjoyed has been marred by the realisation that it contained a spice I do definitely like, but not in meatballs! AIBU? grin

WoodliceCollection Thu 04-Dec-14 21:05:52

Paprika isn't a curry spice, it's a very mild savoury spice used mainly in central and south European foods. I put it in spaghetti sauce etc, never heard of it going in a curry- that's usually garam masala etc isn't it?

SpringBreaker Thu 04-Dec-14 21:07:16

I think the OP means the turmeric.. not the paprika.

whereisvioleta Thu 04-Dec-14 21:10:13

Yep, it's the turmeric I couldn't get my head round! No probs with the paprika!

punygod Thu 04-Dec-14 21:11:52

DP puts coriander in bolognese. Dirty bugger hmm

weeblueberry Thu 04-Dec-14 21:14:03

Until I met DP I didn't realise that you only put herbs in some things in spices in another. He was utterly shocked at my lack of knowledge...

Snatchoo Thu 04-Dec-14 21:14:05

<whispers> I sometimes put a bit of turmeric in risotto.

Just for the colour, y'unnerstand.

SpringBreaker Thu 04-Dec-14 21:15:55

It is absolutely fine to mix things up and create a flavour you like you know!

Coriander is used in plenty of european and american dishes (cilantro is its US name)

Chiggers Thu 04-Dec-14 21:16:37

Paprika is used in Rogan Josh. All the Rogan Josh recipes I've read (in excess of 15 different traditional Indian and Asian cook books in my house) all use it for the dish. Paprika is a lovely in most tomato-based dishes. I used it in spaghetti bolognaise, pasta and meatballs, many tomato-based curries. It's such a versatile spice. I sprinkle it over potato wedges alongside some cayenne and bake them for 30mins. Makes nice wedges it does smile

whereisvioleta Thu 04-Dec-14 21:17:57

Snatchoo, my dad once did similar, but with food colouring! Just, why??

SpringBreaker Thu 04-Dec-14 21:18:40

turmeric is used as a replacement for the very expensive saffron as it replicates the same colouring in the dish

SpringBreaker Thu 04-Dec-14 21:19:59

paprika is a very european spice, very much used in hungarian food and it does give stew a lovely taste I think

Chiggers Thu 04-Dec-14 21:23:10

Oops, just found that the thread has moved on. Turmeric is great for bringing the natural whiteness out in teeth. Good for face masks too, although it's bloody hard to get a turmeric stain out of clothes. Best to wear turmeric coloured clothes when working with it wink.

I don't necessarily stick to spices in certain dishes and herb in others. I usually mix and match to create a completely different and tasty dish. If it means mixing herbs and spices, so be it. Herbs and spices are flavourings for traditional and creating new dishes.

Trills Thu 04-Dec-14 21:27:34

But you DID like it in meatballs!

Your mind is now blown.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 04-Dec-14 21:29:00

Turmeric is supposed to be really good for you healthwise. I put it in lots of things. Never really considered it Indian actually.

Paprika is good but they overuse it in my area. Even when I order chips in some restaurants I have to ask them not to sprinkle paprika on them (Germany).

whereisvioleta Thu 04-Dec-14 21:32:08

Trills, I know, that's what's weird! I liked it UNTIL I knew about its turmericity wink Then the memory of the flavour was ruined, making me feel like I hadn't enjoyed it...??

whereisvioleta Thu 04-Dec-14 21:33:31

I feel a bit better knowing that I've inadvertently had a more healthy meal than I thought tho if turmeric is as healthy as folks are saying!

PetiteRaleuse Thu 04-Dec-14 21:39:28

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5978482

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now