Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to even think about this DNA test

(11 Posts)
MN164 Thu 04-Dec-14 20:52:22

www.23andme.com/uk?

£125 and they test 1,000 DNA markers for health and ancestry. Looks to have real science behind it, but also commerce.

I've asked family and friends and everyone is guiding me away from it. What would I do with info like that? What about life insurance? What if Google sell the data to other people? etc etc

Would you do this test and want to find out what you might die of and that you are/are not related to who you thought you were?

Curiosity killed the cat .... am I too curious for my own good?

ThirdPoliceman Thu 04-Dec-14 21:07:59

Is this an advert?

professornangnang Thu 04-Dec-14 22:03:29

Go for it.

cheesecakemom Thu 04-Dec-14 22:09:18

It says We no longer offer our health-related genetic reports

timetoplay Thu 04-Dec-14 22:23:05

No I wouldn't bother. I don't see that there's much accreditation of the lab. The illumina costs a lot to run even if costs are coming down, I would't trust the quality of the data received- by analysis or throughput- or the QS of the lab itself. What would you do with the information anyway?

What they give you wouldn't be thorough or necessarily useful or correct. I analyse Sanger sequencing and it's really time consuming to do. That's just very basic analysis and it takes a long time to compile and then actually analyse, I can't believe they would give good quality, accurate information in a short time or for that amount of money.

MN164 Thu 04-Dec-14 22:45:55

Timetoplay

You nailed it for me. Not going to bother.

IABU .... wink

PS - wasn't an ad, but heard about it on the radio this morning.

TooMuchCantBreathe Thu 04-Dec-14 22:52:02

Doing something like you are talking about for kicks could well completely and irrevocably change your life. If you seriously consider it the only way to make that decision would be to treat it as if you were going to face the worst possible case scenario and act accordingly - including all the psychological support etc that would be involved in making the decision to test. Possibly you'll find nothing, possibly you'll ruin your life.

Hatespiders Thu 04-Dec-14 22:57:38

Among other things, it does apparently tell you if you're genetically likely to enjoy eating sprouts. Very useful.
I doubt if it's accurate, and as it purports to predict the probability of contracting a whole smorgasbord of diseases, it could be terribly depressing and worrying. I'd give it a miss if I were you.

tigermoll Thu 04-Dec-14 23:19:09

But I already know if I like sprouts.

Minerves Fri 05-Dec-14 01:00:34

you can out the data from 23andme nto other programs to get the health info

timetoplay Fri 05-Dec-14 09:28:45

To accurately analyse sequencing data you need a real programme with trained people using. You can say oh look I have a SNP here on so many reads but you don't know if that an error in the sequencing or a shift or insertion has made the sequencer read it of if it's genuine. And what it means if anything.

If you cant interpret the data then you need an expert who can. Not a programme which won't have clue about sequencing errors or be looking at the raw traces. Testing for cystic fibrosis is easy if you are just looking at the five most common gene but thats for myself. My oh hasn't a clue when he sees my labbook. Most people are tested at birth for that now and if it's in the family then predictive testing is done.

I'd advise people to with things like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now