Talk

Advanced search

to ask if anyone here has beaten a diet soft drink addiction?

(185 Posts)
whothehellknows Thu 04-Dec-14 20:26:49

Although I gave up when breastfeeding both of my children, I've somehow landed myself (again) with a full-on Diet Coke habit. I drink at least a liter each day and I'd be seriously distressed if I ran out. I'm sure I'll have at least a week's worth of headaches when I quit.

I know it costs a fortune. I know it's not good for me. But somehow it keeps creeping back in, and I honestly find it harder than I did to give up smoking.

So has anybody else kicked a diet drink habit? How did you do it, and do you actually feel better for it?

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Thu 04-Dec-14 20:31:22

I went cold turkey, but I used to drink the decaf version, so I didn't have the caffeine withdrawal problem. I drink sparkling water and black decaffeinated coffee now.

I still haven't beaten the food / sugar addiction though. sad

WipsGlitter Thu 04-Dec-14 20:32:41

Yes I did. At the end of 2012 I stopped. I was on about five cans a day. It was pure habit. I found the withdrawal ok. But I struggle with finding something else I like to drink. I still have the odd fizzy drink (San Pelegrino or fizzy water) but it's not the same. I still occasionally really, really want a can but have resisted so far. I don't feel better for it and I didn't lose any weight.

Honeydragon Thu 04-Dec-14 20:36:38

I stopped successfully in 2009, got right through all the crappy headaches and cravings.

I found it more difficult that quitting smoking!

I drank lots of fizzy squash instead.

It was worth it though. I lost half a stone, my under eye bags, and chapped lips.

I genuinely looked so much better after about two months cold turkey.

shelfontheelf Thu 04-Dec-14 20:38:45

Yep. Went on a low carb diet and cut it out cold turkey. Used to have at least two cans a day, can't drink it at all now.

I have replaced it with a coffee addiction though...

FindoGask Thu 04-Dec-14 20:45:41

I don't understand - what's addictive about it? I'm not judging, I've got an addictive personality myself and can't break lots of habits I should, but I don't get what's the compulsive thing about diet coke. It's not even sweet! Is it the caffeine?

MillionToOneChances Thu 04-Dec-14 20:48:47

Yes, I went cold turkey years and years ago. Stopped dead after 5+ cans a day and felt rough for a couple of weeks. I broke the ibuprofen withdrawal-headache-cycle at the same time, which no doubt made it worse.

DoubleValiumLattePlease Thu 04-Dec-14 20:50:00

I believe it's the aspartame Findo - if that's what they still use? I don't know. I've beaten a couple of nasty addictions grin - the less said about which the better! - this is one that I haven't had but I've heard of it and it can be nasty. My SIL's father died of bladder cancer which was attributed to his 12 can a day habit. Might be true, might not but certainly enough to make one think twice!

whothehellknows Thu 04-Dec-14 20:52:25

It might be the caffeine, but when I've stopped before and substituted with coffee, I still got the headaches.

Maybe it's the fizziness?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 04-Dec-14 20:54:23

I no longer drink Diet Coke after having at least a can a day and the rest for years. I now have green and peppermint tea.

Can you cut down?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 04-Dec-14 20:55:02

Fizzy water?

bedraggledmumoftwo Thu 04-Dec-14 20:59:28

Ive started drinking tea by the gallon instead since it got cold, and my "coke habit" was at least a litre a day. Plus just got over food poisoning and it doesn't appeal yet. I am sure it will creep up again at some point as it is syn free in slimming world. Couldn't believe how many calories are in the proper stuff!

bedraggledmumoftwo Thu 04-Dec-14 20:59:48

Ive started drinking tea by the gallon instead since it got cold, and my "coke habit" was at least a litre a day. Plus just got over food poisoning and it doesn't appeal yet. I am sure it will creep up again at some point as it is syn free in slimming world. Couldn't believe how many calories are in the proper stuff!

2minsofyourtime Thu 04-Dec-14 21:00:04

Oh op I here you! The stuff is lethal. I also drink a whole bottle a day. and panic when there is none left.

Much much harder than giving up smoking. I tried to have a rule that I could only have a coke every other drink, it didn't work for long.

whothehellknows Thu 04-Dec-14 21:01:17

I'm sure I could cut down. The problem is that if I'm not drinking something with fizz, I tend to forget to drink anything at all. I make myself cups of tea of or coffee, and I end up finding them cold after a couple of hours because I've forgotten to finish them.

Maybe a soda stream? Are those still unhealthy?

SpringBreaker Thu 04-Dec-14 21:01:56

Its the aspartame, which is evil.

Buy a soda stream, and make loads of different drinks yourself using fresh fruit juice and fizzy water. Much more healthy.

LadyFairfaxSake Thu 04-Dec-14 21:03:54

I am Pepsi Max's bitch. One day Max'll get what's coming to him, maybe next week who knows?
Giving up is easy, I've done it loads of times...

ZenNudist Thu 04-Dec-14 21:06:04

I drink too much aspartamine. We have 'special R' squash (not for the dc!) and I treat myself to a glass of diet lemonade. I swear it makes you feel more thirsty.

Do I need to quit? I drink peppermint tea by the gallon and no caffeine at all.

Mmmicecream Thu 04-Dec-14 21:07:28

Let's start a support group and all try and cut it out together!!

I drink about 3 - 4 cans a day of Coke Zero and just can't kick the habit.

whothehellknows Thu 04-Dec-14 21:08:08

Honeydragon, it's funny you mention the chapped lips. I have them all year round and never connected it with the drinks.

daffodilsinspringtime Thu 04-Dec-14 21:09:10

I drink around 2 2 litre bottles a day, plus smaller bottles on top. blush

raltheraffe Thu 04-Dec-14 21:09:14

Posted this thread on 27/11/14

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a2245997-Probably-me-who-is-being-unreasonable-or-could-be-DH

Wrote that 3 days into a caffeine detox. I have a past history of drug addiction and got clean of all the drugs and alcohol 4 years ago. However when mum died I started on the Pepsi Max and Monster Zero (diet energy drink).

I was on 5 litres a day.

As you can tell from the post I was irritable as hell when I first went cold turkey. One week later I am not fully through the withdrawals but 95% better. Sleeping well. Not ramming my trolley into the exit automatic door repeatedly at Morrissons asking why they have shut the shop but the lights are on (the other Salfordian shoppers stood outside found this hilarious). Can drive safely now.

Best way is to cold turkey but have a tiny bit of caffeine if your withdrawals are too bad.

As a recovering drug addict I can remember quitting the other stuff 4 years back. It has been worse for me than quitting alcohol or cannabis. However I have got off the evil Pepsi and I am really proud of myself.

GraysAnalogy Thu 04-Dec-14 21:09:53

I did it. I drank so so much and didn't realise it was an issue until my friends pointed it out.

What I did was get a brita filter thing and made sure it was always full in the fridge, add lemon or other fruits to it. Then I'd drink that instead. Was cold and refreshing, didn't have the fizz but it helped loads.

whereismagic Thu 04-Dec-14 21:13:59

The only thing that works is going cold turkey. I just can't be trusted around refined carbohydrates and anything with sugar. It's like crack to me and personally I think there should be AA meetings for sugar addicts. It's very difficult to beat.

whereismagic Thu 04-Dec-14 21:14:56

Try putting a couple of mint leaves in the jug with water.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: