Talk

Advanced search

To ask you what would you do with this 1 year old and bad sleeping issue

(16 Posts)
ViperActive Thu 04-Dec-14 20:15:51

1 year old just won't settle on her own anymore. For last month since starting nursery and being ill it's all gone to pot. She has to fall asleep on me for all sleeps and naps are shorter, night time sleep she always wakes every hour or 2 until I bring her to my bed and usually sleeps ok but often wakes for hours.
If I put her in cot she just cries and it escalates.
Prior to nursery she would settle fine and never slept In my bed at all.
What would you do?

StripedOss Thu 04-Dec-14 20:21:52

co sleep personally.. or thats what i did with my dd from 9mo until she was 2.5!

RigglinJigglin Thu 04-Dec-14 20:27:17

What striped said.

ViperActive Thu 04-Dec-14 20:29:29

What do you / did you do when DV went to sleep early evening before you went to bed?

MrsPiggie Thu 04-Dec-14 20:31:00

Definitely co-sleep. I used to take DD and go to sleep in the spare room, she would be up several times a night otherwise.

StripedOss Thu 04-Dec-14 20:33:39

i had the bed set up to co-sleep, i had the one side of her cot tied to the side of my bed, lol.

I used to take her to bed, lay with her until she fell asleep, then go back downstairs with my pjs, and then go to bed as normal.

she slept a hell of a lot better, but it was a slightly selfish move on my part as my older child has SN and doesn't sleep well at all and never has, so i needed at least ONE of them to sleep through! Co-sleeping with dd meant she didnt wake up as much or if she did, i was right there so she'd resettle herself.

Shadow1986 Thu 04-Dec-14 20:37:33

I think it's called 'rapid return' method. You may want to google for better explanation but basically...
Put her to bed, give big kiss and cuddle and say you'll be right back. Leave the room. She will cry and no doubt try to get up. Go straight back in and say 'I told you mummy was coming right back', kiss her again and say you'll be right back. Leave room. Leave a few seconds, go back in and kiss her for reassurance and leave. Keep going back in with a kiss but leaving it longer gaps (start with just a couple seconds and increase as you go). She will soon realise you'll be back in a minute and relax enough to stop crying. Then relax enough to go to sleep. It definitely works. I got my child to sleep in 15 minutes with this method and it would normally take me hours!! Good luck. Hope that makes some sense

MrsPiggie Thu 04-Dec-14 20:38:28

I would first try to put her in her own bed, if she didn't go off I would move her to our bed and stayed with her for a bit, then got on with my life. If she woke up again before I went to sleep I would stay with her for a bit again till she went off. Really, she just wanted to make sure I was there.

maddening Thu 04-Dec-14 20:39:59

I did put a double mattress on ds floor and coslept there with the intention on doing gradual retreat - but it wasn't till ds was 2 that we got him into his bed (had his toddler bed for a few months by then) and ds wenr straight in to his bed as dfiance swapped with me for a few weeks. ds sleeps through now.

museumum Thu 04-Dec-14 20:40:35

With it coinciding with starting nursery I'd suspect over tiredness and try for more maps at the weekend followed by earlier bedtimes next week to see if that helps.

museumum Thu 04-Dec-14 20:40:49

Naps obviously. Not maps.

maddening Thu 04-Dec-14 20:42:49

ps chose to go in to his room as feel it is easier to remove myself from his room and he remains used to sleeping in his room rather than my bed iyswim.

I think it was easier for dfiance to get ds off nightwaking (still bfing) as my breasts weren't in the room - once he broke that he went through.

bananapickle84 Thu 04-Dec-14 20:44:24

I think I would do the method where you sit next to the cot and be with her until she falls asleep. Then over a few days move further away from the cot until you are out of the room.
I agree with the overtiredness. Could you do an earlier bedtime? That can make a real difference.

Lifesalemon Thu 04-Dec-14 20:52:06

What shadow posted worked for us.

marge26 Thu 04-Dec-14 20:54:26

It may help to check with the nursery whether they settle her /stay with her until she falls asleep for naps if so, they could be creating a new habit for her. They should also tell you how long she is napping for - if she is napping for longer than she previously did, this may explain the periods of wakefulness during the night

ViperActive Thu 04-Dec-14 21:09:47

She is a bad sleeper at nursery, she won't settle unless she's so tired and Drifts off and then wakes early bu another child's cry or squeal or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now