Talk

Advanced search

To think schools need to realise

(38 Posts)
Lostriver Thu 04-Dec-14 17:39:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shakirasma Thu 04-Dec-14 17:47:12

"Last week letter home Thursday needing ten pound cooking money for Tuesday. Kids who hadn't brought money in got detention"

That is riticulous. You need to look at the schools Charging Policy. It may well be on the schools website.

Discopanda Thu 04-Dec-14 18:13:13

That's odd, back in my day (wow, I sound old!) we had to bring in the ingredients for cooking classes, not bring in money for the ingredients and that was only 10 years ago. It seems rather unfair on the parents, what is the £13 for?

Lostriver Thu 04-Dec-14 18:16:48

Lostriver Thu 04-Dec-14 18:18:23

WooWooOwl Thu 04-Dec-14 18:20:38

If it's an optional thing that not all children are going to, then it don't think it's wring that the school sent out a request, but they should have given more notice. That's worth raising with the school as even if parents can afford it, personal arrangements and circumstances can mean that a parent needs more than one after school evening to sort money.

YABU about the cookery money. Children do get to keep what they've made, and there's more to learning how to cook than doing everything with the cheapest budget ingredients. Around here most of us split the cost of cookery ingredients and parents help each other out with stuff.

titchy Thu 04-Dec-14 18:20:51

A strong letter of complaint needs to go in if that is the case. Schools are specifically required to not require kids to bring in cash they cannot afford. There should be a slush fund for families that can't afford these extras.

Discopanda Thu 04-Dec-14 18:24:31

That seems like a lot of money when it's supposed to be making it cheaper overall tbh.

youareallbonkers Thu 04-Dec-14 18:25:26

I don't think the schools can demand money for trips and what not. Btw what are fancy ingredients?

ouryve Thu 04-Dec-14 18:25:28

There should be a scheme of work for the cookery. Why can't you provide you with a list of what would be needed on what weeks at the beginning of the half term? We wouldn't have trouble finding the £10, but I might not have it on me, at that point and probably wouldn't be able to get to a cashpoint. Similarly, we could afford the ingredients, but not just magic them up, overnight. We do the bulk of our shopping at the weekend and might have a midweek delivery, neither of which would fit that window of overnight.

Giving detentions when they can't sort out their own organisation is just wrong.

Lostriver Thu 04-Dec-14 18:25:58

GraysAnalogy Thu 04-Dec-14 18:26:23

The detentions thing is absolutely disgusting, they can't do that.

MaryWestmacott Thu 04-Dec-14 18:26:40

I think you need to go into school and talk about the notice period for cash payments.

DS's school you can do on-line payments, but everything requiring money for the year is already listed. I could pay for his trip in May now if I wanted to. I paid for his panto trip a couple of months ago. Gives you some time to plan.

They know this stuff is coming up, they could warn you in advance, even if they don't want the money straight away.

SpidersDontWashTheirHands Thu 04-Dec-14 18:28:08

A tenner? What were they cooking?

5ChildrenAndIt Thu 04-Dec-14 18:29:53

£10 is exorbitant for cooking. Is that for a whole term? What the frick could they be making for £10? Lobster Thermidor? A full sized Christmas cake?

5madthings Thu 04-Dec-14 18:30:11

Ds1 came home with a letter this week about a school trip, deposit of £150 by 7th Dec!! Ffs!

No it's not compulsory but it's only being offered to some students and it's an amazing opportunity so we will suck it up and thankfully family are helping but a week's notice for £150 just before Xmas!

DoraGora Thu 04-Dec-14 18:35:31

If you haven't got the money you get detention, sounds like demanding money with menaces, to me. You should warn the head that he can get locked up for doing that!

bloodyteenagers Thu 04-Dec-14 18:44:15

Detention because their parents are skint?
I would take it a hell of a lot further.

AliMonkey Thu 04-Dec-14 18:51:41

I can't see how they can give detention for not bringing in ingredients or money for cooking. The law says that they cannot exclude a pupil from an activity during school hours at the school because they don't pay or provide the requested supplies (though they can say it can't go ahead at all if not enough voluntary contributions). They also have to explain what support can be provided for those on low incomes. So I cannot see how they can give detentions for not paying up as it is voluntary. I would definitely complain quoting the government rules (you can find them on gov.uk). They are allowed to charge for out of hours or offsite activities and exclude you if you don't pay but if in school hours have to provide alternative education at same time for those who don't go.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 04-Dec-14 18:54:58

YANBU re notice periods. Giving a day or two to complete the form, dig out cheque book or find cash when they have known about the event for weeks / months is exactly the sort of rubbish my DC's school does all the bloody time

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 04-Dec-14 19:00:39

YANBU, but PLEASE say something about it

Unless people make schools aware it will continue. Both about the notice and the difficulty to find money at short notice, especially either side of Xmas when everyone is skint. The school should be better at planning for trips etc.

Is the £10 for ingredients over a period of time? In itself not unreasonable, but the notice period and the detention certainly is.

Please say something.

I, along with other parents at our school, have, we are in an affluent area where the assumption is people can afford anything but it is simply not the case for all the families.

Lostriver Thu 04-Dec-14 19:27:28

Lostriver Thu 04-Dec-14 19:28:13

DaisyFlowerChain Thu 04-Dec-14 19:37:19

Lost river, it's curriculum related trips that the school has legislation on. Reward trips are not covered under these usually as mainly fun activities not related to the subjects.

RiverTam Thu 04-Dec-14 19:42:38

not giving enough notice is ridiculous, as is giving detention. However, if you know that these requests will come at some point or another, would it not be worth putting some money aside each week so you're not taken by surprise next time they demand with little notice?

I'm very intrigued to know what these ingredients are, £10 for 2 cooking classes per child sounds an awful lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now