Talk

Advanced search

to book a viewing of this house

(20 Posts)
macdaddydoodah Thu 04-Dec-14 14:03:07

DH and I have discussed moving to the country as a long term plan and have found a village that sounds perfect, good schools, lots going on etc, still just about commutable. Yet to actually visit this village although grew up nearby and it's always sounded great.

My addiction to rightmove means that, while we have had no intention of moving any time soon, I've just found the perfect house. I think it's just about affordable and is 100% perfect (online at least).

AIBU to think we should book a viewing, see what happens. DH thinks that we shouldn't as are too busy and weren't planning on moving yet. My argument is when would we be ready to move - feel it's like having a baby, there is no right time and I would like it sooner rather than later to avoid too much disruption to kids schooling.

CornChips Thu 04-Dec-14 14:05:53

Definitely book the viewing. You need to get a feel on the ground. The right things 'on paper' just may not be right in the end.

A few years ago we were sure we would move to a particular part of London. Utterly convinced about it. In the end we spent 4-5 weekends househunting there before finally admitting that it was not right. The 'feel'of it was not right. Now we are fairly rural, with a commute, and totally the opposite of what we thought we wanted but it is right for us.

CornChips Thu 04-Dec-14 14:06:25

anyway, viewing does not mean buying, and you learn something from every viewing.

elastamum Thu 04-Dec-14 14:08:48

UABU. Don't view a house unless you are seriously considering moving - it is a massive waste of the vendors time and really impolite

I live in a local landmark and when we had it up for sale was seriously pissed off by numerous 'house tourists' who had no intention of moving and just wanted a nice day out. Eventually I banned viewers who didn't have their property on the market and said no to anyone who only wanted to come on Sunday - as it is the timewasters favourite day

BaffledSomeMore Thu 04-Dec-14 14:09:39

Go see it.
We weren't moving. Had no need or intention to move.
Saw a house on Rightmove.
We bought it.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 04-Dec-14 14:11:38

I think you would be unreasonable to go unless you're willing to move (and quickly) if it's the right one for you. It's not fair to the sellers to be a tyre kicker and it would be pretty sad if you found something lovely but couldn't have it.

krystellie Thu 04-Dec-14 14:13:55

If you viewed it and it was perfect and within your budget, would you put your own house on the market soon afterwards?

If so, I don't see any issue with viewing it. Plus, it will give you an idea of what you can get in the village and for that price range. This will either show you that this place is perfect for you, or that it isn't, very quickly.

macdaddydoodah Thu 04-Dec-14 14:20:53

Have looked at 1000's of other houses on rightmove over the years and never contemplated viewing any of them before so it's not like we are just looking to fill in a few hours on a Sunday.

Yes, would put house on market immediately.

krystellie Thu 04-Dec-14 14:24:47

I think you should definitely view it then. You'd regret it if you didn't and it was 'the one'.

Similarly, I viewed a house when we were only casually thinking of moving, and we loved it so much we bought it.

bilbodog Thu 04-Dec-14 14:31:30

what you could do is get a local agent to come and give your house a valuation asap so that you can at least say you have had your house valued and are 'ready to go to the market' if need be. Has that house been on the market very long? If it has, and has no interest, then likely its not going to suddenly go under offer with anyone else at this time of year - but they may have just put it on to hit the New Year up and running, before everyone else, in which case you may need to get a m ove in, if you like it. Good luck.

skylark2 Thu 04-Dec-14 14:39:44

Is "just about commutable" in good conditions, or is it in midwinter fog with roadworks?

I'd suggest you go on a quick trip to the village, just to see what the trip is actually like. If it's okay, then think about viewing.

Bearbehind Thu 04-Dec-14 14:51:16

If you are in a position where it would be financially possible to move then book the viewing.

I agree that unless something changes where you have to move, there's often no 'right time'.

Finding a potentially perfect house sounds like a good enough reason to move to me.

Plus if you view it and don't like it you won't be left wondering 'what if...'

MiddleAgedandConfused Thu 04-Dec-14 15:11:17

Go look - you never know - you might fall in love with the place and decide to move. it could the start of your next adventure!

SpidersDontWashTheirHands Thu 04-Dec-14 15:46:46

Well… I'm selling at the moment and we've had two notes of interest from people who saw our house and then put theirs on the market so I think that, as long as you're honest, you should be OK.

Show us the house (nosy)

formerbabe Thu 04-Dec-14 15:50:37

Don't view it if you have no intention of buying it. I lost count of the number of people who came to view my house and told me they just wanted to see what you could get for your money or to get a feel of the area! Its so annoying and such a waste of time!

SantyClaws Thu 04-Dec-14 15:55:05

We went to view a new apartment complex just to be nosey. We bought one grin

I say go....

HazleNutt Thu 04-Dec-14 15:56:03

Do it. We had exactly the same - no intention of moving for the next couple of years, were also getting married in the summer. I was just browsing and saw THE house. We saw it, we bought it. Signed and faxed last papers over from our honeymoon. grin
We still love the house, was a busy summer but absolutely no regrets.

londonrach Thu 04-Dec-14 16:00:46

Go. The people who bought my parents house hadnt there house on the market etc where just looking around area. Saw my parents house, realised right for them and put house on market and bought my parents house.

londonrach Thu 04-Dec-14 16:01:19

Their not there...

PortofinoVino Thu 04-Dec-14 16:09:07

Cleaning up for the gawpers and time-wasters when selling a house can be soul destroying.

But if you think there is a CHANCE you may go ahead and buy it, then that is a different matter. Sort of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now