Talk

Advanced search

…to think this is unhygienic & potentially dangerous?

(83 Posts)
TheStorySoFar Thu 04-Dec-14 10:11:11

First World Problem, so apologising in advance. We are moving house. New build..we are broke, owe ££ to workmen. It's (ob) a v bad time of year for having no spare cash & we need to move before I return to work from Mat Leave (in 3 weeks) or it'll be v v difficult to move at all. So no real option of waiting. We need a new fridge freezer. DH is set on gorgeous Siemens side by side larder fridge & freezer. Lots of £££££. He thinks we should be cobbling together money to buy a Siemens fridge & to move with no freezer OR use a freezer he can get through work. That we won't waste £ on a FF we don't want. The freezer he can get through work has been used to store dead rodents!!!!!!!! And he reckons it'll be fine if he cleans it out with plenty of scalding water & cleaning solutions. I'm saying no. We should buy a cheap combination FF & sell when we can afford our dream ones…..WWYD?

BeHoHoHove Thu 04-Dec-14 10:12:50

I'm with you on that one.
Dead rodents?

ClareBaldingsHair Thu 04-Dec-14 10:13:07

Euw! I would do your plan

InfinitySeven Thu 04-Dec-14 10:13:35

Presumably the dead rodents were in containers of some kind?

Reptile keepers keep dead rodents in with their food, they are usually humanely killed and packaged well to maintain hygiene. Provided that these were the same, you'd be fine to sterilise the fridge.

Altinkum Thu 04-Dec-14 10:14:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

formerbabe Thu 04-Dec-14 10:15:58

Oh my gosh! I wouldn't be able to eat anything from a freezer that had been used to store dead rodents! I'd buy a new cheap freezer and save up for an expensive one in the future.

Lweji Thu 04-Dec-14 10:17:15

Yes, just clean it with bleach, fgs.

What type of rodents? Lab rats or sewer rats?
Presumably in bags or boxes.

I'd be more worried about the chicken you buy from the supermarket, tbh.

MarthaMonkeynuts Thu 04-Dec-14 10:19:16

Freecycle or ebay for a temporary freezer?

NorwaySpruce Thu 04-Dec-14 10:19:28

Fridges used to store dead rodents at work tend to smell. Really, really smell.

In my experience, no amount of cleaning/disinfecting will get rid of the smell. It is indescribable.

Do not even contemplate moving it into your house.

MinnieM1 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:22:02

I don't know how unhygienic it would be if it was thoroughly cleaned out first
But it is a bit ewww so no I wouldn't have it in my house

Neverbuyheliumbalonz Thu 04-Dec-14 10:22:21

Yes, don't people who own reptiles keep mice etc in their freezer to feed them?

I don't think it would be 'unhygienic' if it was cleaned properly, although I'm still not sure I would want to use it!

raltheraffe Thu 04-Dec-14 10:23:46

In Bolton we have something called Bolton Community Transport

www.bctfs.co.uk/

It is a charity that takes in unwanted second hand white goods and sells them on.

I do not know if other towns have an equivalent of this, but they probably do. It is very cheap and there are decent quality seconds.

Lweji Thu 04-Dec-14 10:25:55

It will be different if the rodents were kept in the fridge or the freezer, or if they were already decomposed when stored or just killed.

gamerchick Thu 04-Dec-14 10:29:46

I keep rats in my freezer for the snake as do most reptile keepers. It's just meat.

Number3cometome Thu 04-Dec-14 10:31:27

So it's ok to store a dead Cow / Chicken / Pig / Horse, but not a rodent?

Ok maybe I see your point....

Plenty of bleach and then try not to think about poor Dangermouse and his mates demise.

smileybadger Thu 04-Dec-14 10:44:40

but no doubt you'll be storing dead animals in it,unless your a veggiegrin

anothergenericname Thu 04-Dec-14 10:47:35

freecycle for a second hand, free, freezer - domestic - until you have money to buy a silly swanky new one.

Legionofboom Thu 04-Dec-14 10:52:13

I think it would be ok to use the work freezer.

Different entirely if it was a fridge but in a freezer everything is in a bag or container anyway. As others have said plenty of snake owners do it.

But if money is tight you may be able to get a decent new fridge freezer cheaper than a siemens fridge anyway.

Butterpuff Thu 04-Dec-14 10:53:11

I'd borrow the work one.

We moved a few weeks ago, similar situation we want an American style fridge freezer with ice dispenser but cant afford it yet. We have borrowed a fridge from MIL (was in her barn used as a beer fridge so she is not suffering) and are doing without a freezer until we can afford to buy what we want. No point in paying twice. Would happily borrow a freezer no matter the previous use to tide us over as I do miss having a freezer.

Lucyandpoppy Thu 04-Dec-14 10:55:50

I would just buy a cheap fridge/freezer (presumably less than the expensive fridge alone?) and sell when you can afford more expensive fridge and seperate freezer.

FatimaLovesBread Thu 04-Dec-14 10:56:30

Surely you already have dead bird and dead mammals in your freezer anyway? A good clean and it'll be fine.

HeinousPieTrap Thu 04-Dec-14 10:57:46

I think it's right you can get it clean, so it wouldn't be unhygienic.

But the irrational side of me would agree with you, I wouldn't want it! I'd always be imagining the previous contents.

We didn't have a freezer for years, so I'd just do without for however long tbh.

AlistairSim Thu 04-Dec-14 10:58:16

I think this depends on whether your DH's job is serial killer and the "rodents" are actually his victims.

If this is the case, then you are NU.

CuddlesAndShit Thu 04-Dec-14 10:59:03

Never mind the hygiene aspect, what if it is haunted by all of those dead rodents?? shock

Seriouslyffs Thu 04-Dec-14 10:59:15

How long do you need a freezer for?
Can you not do without one for a while?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now