Talk

Advanced search

to buy a non official frozen outfit

(14 Posts)
marryj Thu 04-Dec-14 07:21:47

I've bought a non official frozen outfit that I was going to give for Xmas. Just seen the article about them being a fire hazard.

Aibu to think this is just Disney marketing and these outfits really aren't any more dangerous than other outfits?

TicTicBOOM Thu 04-Dec-14 07:39:19

No, they are dangerous. I don't think Disney need to engage in scaremongering to ensure people buy their products, people are generally quite loyal. It's just them being responsible if it's Disney who are issuing these warnings.

These knock-offs will not have had all the necessary safety checks.

WeirdCatLady Thu 04-Dec-14 07:40:35

I think it depends - do you have open flames anywhere? (Fire, candles etc) because if not then I wouldn't worry about the outfit.

waithorse Thu 04-Dec-14 07:41:10

I wouldn't give my child an outfit that hadn't come from a reputable source.

SunnaClausIsComingToTown Thu 04-Dec-14 07:43:19

You can buy fire-proofing spray from a theatrical supplier. It isn't very expensive. You need to reapply it every time the costume is washed.

LadyintheRadiator Thu 04-Dec-14 07:44:26

Depends what you mean by non-official? I wouldn't buy from eBay... Asda/Tesco though, yes fine.

merrymouse Thu 04-Dec-14 07:44:52

I think a lot of dress up costumes are a fire hazard because if the material used and the flowing/swishy/flappy style.

lem73 Thu 04-Dec-14 07:52:42

I bought one from Amazon because I couldn't find her size anywhere else. Do you think it will be ok?

marryj Thu 04-Dec-14 07:56:17

That's my thoughts merry, candles and any dress up clothes are dangerous.

I've heard that flame retardant stuff is very dangerous for children though with all the toxic chemicals.

I got mine from Ali express www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6216962340.html

SunnaClausIsComingToTown Thu 04-Dec-14 08:06:42

You spray it out of doors and leave it to hang and dry. Every costume you see on stage (including children's) has had this done.

marryj Thu 04-Dec-14 08:11:54

OK thanks I'll look into it.

Is the flame spray likely to be the only difference? At the end of the day its just polyester and I do think Disney stuff is generally a rip off.

gamerchick Thu 04-Dec-14 08:21:16

A genuine dress wouldn't burn up instantly when exposed to fire. It smoulders and melts.

One that isn't flame resistant would burn up in seconds causing a lot of damage or death to your kid.

All for the sake of saving a few quid hmm

crumblebumblebee Thu 04-Dec-14 08:51:41

YABU, not worth it.

SpottyDogg Thu 04-Dec-14 08:52:57

Not worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now