Talk

Advanced search

To go out on the balcony and shout at people who talk loudly outside my bedroom window past 11pm?

(17 Posts)
JuniorMumber Thu 04-Dec-14 00:07:13

It's unfortunate that our landlord has put in shit double glazing. I don't think people realise when they are outside that they keep us awake. My rule is I ask them to be quiet past 11pm and only if they are stationary (not people walking by). I've just got into a altercation with some students outside for asking them to be quiet (politely the first time, rudely the second time). I hate it - but don't I have the right not to be woken up by drunkards?

missingmumxox Thu 04-Dec-14 00:26:53

what i found effective when I lived in a flat at age 38, I listened in to the converation, then knocked on the door saying I am a friend of X, was let in and proceeded to talk loudly about when I was young, my poor children trying to sleep, the party I seem to remember broke up in about 5 mins.

Mel0Drama Thu 04-Dec-14 00:32:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andrewofgg Thu 04-Dec-14 00:33:01

On a similar thread recently the suggestion was made to go outside and just stand there looking gloomy and disapproving. They will disperse or at least move on and bother somebody else.

JuniorMumber Thu 04-Dec-14 00:38:23

Jeez Mel - that's disgusting, did you press charges? How did it come about? I assume you went down there to talk to them? I do also worry about retaliation.

NewNamePlease Thu 04-Dec-14 00:38:47

I did this.
In my normally quiet cud de sac, some neighbours visitors was stood next to their car, with engine running having a very loud conversation about the best kebab shop. It was about 3 am and I had had a shite day. I lent out of the window and screamed at them a lot and swore a lot, you inconsiderate bastards, some of us are trying to bloody sleep we have jobs tomorrow, kebabs taste shit anyway blah blah.
They were not the teenagers I was expecting but 40yo in suits who both looked suitable shocked and said sorry. They got in car and drove off. I then realised that I had lent out of my window from waist up and I sleep naked blush

JuniorMumber Thu 04-Dec-14 00:41:38

Andrew - it's a good suggestion, but I'm too lazy to go all the way down there in my pyjamas and stand in the cold. I have considered hanging around on the balcony, listening to their conversation and chipping in with annoying comments and opinions. I've also considered getting a SuperSoaker and squirting people in the face, but I googled it and it's common assault, apparently

JuniorMumber Thu 04-Dec-14 00:42:54

New - smile

Mel0Drama Thu 04-Dec-14 00:45:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JuniorMumber Thu 04-Dec-14 00:54:43

God Mel, it makes me so angry reading that. You are right though, not everyone is civilised. I have a 4mo Dd to consider as well.

brightspark2 Thu 04-Dec-14 06:04:37

If it is students, contact the uni/college and let them deal...

MangoBiscuit Thu 04-Dec-14 06:15:47

If you are over them, stand on your balcony and shout "Oh God, I think I'm gonna throw up!" Then dry heave a bit.

ShesAnEasyWuffer Thu 04-Dec-14 06:20:54

I do this for the boys who live next door, who occasionally (when drunk) are louder than they realise when having a smoke out the front. They're lovely lads but I have been known to go outside at 12am in my dressing gown, hair like a banshee and screech at them to shut up. They always look a bit sheepish and go inside mainly because they know I won't bake them any more cakes if they piss me off too much

Flimflammer Thu 04-Dec-14 06:59:04

"Excuse me, do you mind going somewhere else to finish your conversation? I am trying to sleep." Worked on me when I was a young drunk. I was mortified the next day to realise we had stopped for our long, 3am "best friend" speech and hug 3 doors from our own house.

Fallingovercliffs Thu 04-Dec-14 10:21:23

I get this a lot. I used to open the window and roar at people to keep it down. Now I just wear ear plugs.

SparkleZilla Thu 04-Dec-14 11:52:45

we have this problem, i have called down and said "excuse me, but i dont think you realise how loud you are being" in a really non confrontational way, and got back a load of abuse from some women "shut your fucking windows then" (middle of summer.... dont think so sunshine) I was a gnat hair away from phoning the police to get them to move

and we get older kids sitting on the small bit of green outside the house when annyoing thing is there is a park down the road

Fallingovercliffs Thu 04-Dec-14 11:56:16

There's a green a few yards away from me but the kids prefer to play right beneath our windows. When I asked some of them to move onto the Green at about 10pm one night during the Summer I had an idiotic father taking umbrage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now