Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how it is physically possible to produce so much snot? (Gross, sorry)

(15 Posts)
CruCru Wed 03-Dec-14 20:19:38

I've had a horrible cold and am now at the producing loads of dark green snot. No matter how often I blow my nose, more comes. When will it end? My head must have been 80% snot.

BackAche21 Wed 03-Dec-14 20:27:06

YANBU but you are being a bit revolting. Tmi. That said, I have wondered the same thing (to myself). Once thought I had blown enough of the stuff into tissues to fill a bath tub. I think I have extremely capacious or productive sinuses. Would recommend Sinutab for you but I find it too effective and a bit painful. A daily bath with some tea tree oil in it will do the job more gently. Early nights. Rest. Self control around wondering out loud on MN.

During one of my delightful sinus infections I've often wondered the same OP. I could get through boxes and boxes of tissues in a day. Never found an answer to your question though ... grin

Jelliebabe2 Wed 03-Dec-14 21:29:40

I've had a cough for five weeks. Thankfully it's not so bad now but I've got phlegm going down the back of my throught about 80% of the time. I'm getting on my own nerves clearing my throat all day, flippin phlegm.

hiccupgirl Wed 03-Dec-14 21:41:34

YANBU

I get really horrible sinus infections following on from colds and the amount of snot is just unbelievable sometimes. I honestly think my head must just be full up of snot at these times just it just keeps coming out every time I blow.

Purplepoodle Wed 03-Dec-14 21:45:27

Drink ridiculous amounts of water. I swear when pregnant I was a living sinus infection. Only litres of water seemed to give relief

CruCru Wed 03-Dec-14 22:36:16

Thanks all. BackAche21 - I do see your point but I had pointed out that it was gross in the title.

Ugh. I have had enough of this, I've had this cold for over a week.

mineofuselessinformation Wed 03-Dec-14 22:47:13

I feel your pain. I had chronic sinusitis a couple of years back and it was embarrassing...
I actually felt sorry for the person who had to empty my bin at work as it was always full of snotty green tissues.sad

wobblyweebles Thu 04-Dec-14 02:37:13

I'm wondering the same thing about my daughter at the moment. I'm sure tomorrow morning all I'll find in her bed is a dried out husk of a person surrounded by tissues.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Thu 04-Dec-14 10:26:09

Have you met my son? grin
I currently have 'hot water nose'. I am scared to lean forward and have used a whole kitchen roll so far today. It can mop up spills according to the adverts so hot water nose should be a doddle.

paxtecum Thu 04-Dec-14 10:31:19

I don't think you are being gross.
Anyway, don't eat any dairy (until you are better), don't eat sugar or stodgy food.
Eat vegetables, soups and fruit.
Drink lots of water.

gemdrop84 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:15:09

I had a cold like this a few months ago, never in my life have I produced so much snot, I also ended up having some stuck in my sinuses somewhere as every time I breathed I could feel snot rattling around in my face. Woke up next morning with earache and spread across my face. Was grim and I finally had had enough so I sat refilling bowl after bowl with hot water and tons of olbas oil plus a blob of Vicks for good measure. I think I used a while box of tissues blowing but it felt soooo good when it finally all shifted!!

MiaowTheCat Thu 04-Dec-14 12:55:08

I'm into month number 3 of the bout of sinusitis from hell (hopefully now clearing)... we're talking two boxes of tissues a day level hell here. I couldn't quite equate the volume of snot produced against what I assume to be the internal volume of my head and reconcile the two facts at all.

Ginocchio Fri 05-Dec-14 12:14:14

Just wanted to join in solidarity. My hopes of the original cold clearing up by the weekend were dashed when I woke on Wednesday, feeling like someone had spent the night punching me repeatedly in the face.

I suspect that my sinuses have managed some form of compulsory purchase of other areas of my body, in order to store all the reserves of snot that keep coming out. Today I steamed, had a hot shower and did a neti pot sinus rinse, to go along with the sudafed. Appears to have done absolutely fuck all to help...

naty1 Fri 05-Dec-14 13:08:54

Know how you feel just had awful cold, lots green snot that wasnt clearing. Im pg so cant take anything.
I think maybe overblowing can make it worse.
It was bubbling up to my ears, i was convinced i needed to see gp especially as my head started hurting when bending down. But now 2 weeks later its almost gone.
Sniffing the hot water vapour, taking it easy, vitamins.
Though my sense of smell isnt back and still feels blocked by being dried out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now