Talk

Advanced search

Life is Toff

(25 Posts)
Agggghast Wed 03-Dec-14 19:28:03

Having watched the series I wonder what exactly was the benefit of the £120000 a year the Fulfords paid for their children's education? Whilst having a certain charm they are ignorant and boorish in the extreme. Cannot help but feel the money was wasted!

Cauliflowersneeze1 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:35:12

The daughter seems lovely though

YoungBritishPissArtist Wed 03-Dec-14 19:38:25

I still don't understand how they cry poverty and yet all four children boarded at public schools!

I've not watched the latest ep so maybe it's been discussed smile

Mumblechum1 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:40:03

I suspect that education was secondary to contacts tbh

Agggghast Wed 03-Dec-14 19:40:37

I agree and I think they all have a certain charm but they are so ignorant. If I was their mother I would be furious they had left an expensive education with so little knowledge.

MasqueradeWaltzer Wed 03-Dec-14 19:43:10

The headteachers of their schools must hate this show.

Thursdayisgoingtobehard Wed 03-Dec-14 19:45:33

I have missed some of these, but defo remember the mum from the first show a few years ago, do we know where she is now?

OldLadyKnows Wed 03-Dec-14 19:48:16

I understand the mother is "visiting friends in London" doesn't want to be involved smile

DontPushTheButton Wed 03-Dec-14 20:06:39

I love this show! blush

Mumblechum1 Thu 04-Dec-14 03:59:34

I don't understand how Edmund presumably was allowed back into 6th Form if he has no GCSEs

(but I do have a very soft spot for him!)

Fabulassie Thu 04-Dec-14 06:56:22

What channel is this on? I must watch it!

Szeli Thu 04-Dec-14 07:21:55

because they're paying mumble?

meglet Thu 04-Dec-14 07:27:03

Bugger, did I miss it this week blush.

I wonder how much they play up for the cameras, they must have learnt something at school confused.

silverstreak Thu 04-Dec-14 07:36:56

Agree with Mumble - for lots of parents it's worth it to guarantee their kids rapid progression up the career ladder of the super-succesful and getting in on the old boys/girls network...... I've definitely seem this for myself several times.....

Eastwickwitch Thu 04-Dec-14 07:40:00

I know the school that Edmund went to. It's not known for successful exam results but does push out 'thoroughly nice chaps'

HamishBamish Thu 04-Dec-14 08:49:46

A private education doesn't translate into academic achievement. You can't turn someone into something they're not, no matter how much money you throw at it.

They send their children to a particular school often because it's where they went and generations before them. It's just what they do.

Kingoftheroad Thu 04-Dec-14 08:54:18

Yes but where do they get the money to pay for it all. They've been pleading poverty for years. The house is falling down around their ears but with his son and heir being primed to take over, he doesn't seem to worried about financing the whole thing

HamishBamish Thu 04-Dec-14 09:11:44

Yes but where do they get the money to pay for it all.

Didn't they sell some land at some point? Maybe there's money in a trust somewhere which can only be spend on school fees or another relative somewhere pays for it. In any case, the cost of a private education is small compared to the maintenance costs of a house like that.

I love the programme though. I haven't laughed like that for a long time. Very entertaining.

CvanA Thu 04-Dec-14 13:43:40

From what I have read, it seems that the father wasnt terribly well educated either. I would imagine that there is a certain amount of monetary value in being involved in the show and the resulting 'celebrity' status.

squoosh Thu 04-Dec-14 13:52:11

I thought Humphrey was very handsome. I could almost overlook the fact he was called Humphrey.

Fabulassie Thu 04-Dec-14 14:33:09

Oh shit now I'm watching it on iPlayer.

This is like Downton Abbey meets Honey Booboo!

Placeinthesun Thu 04-Dec-14 14:37:56

I thought they said in one of the early episodes of this series that thanks to land prices the Fulford Estate was merrily in credit - income earnt by renting land and farming.

Also the mother/wife chose to not have any involvement in this show after the last one they were in.

GoingToCalifornia Thu 04-Dec-14 14:48:20

They have 13 tenant farmers I think they said. That's very many hundreds of thousands in agri subsidies alone.

I have only ever known three people in my lifetime at public school (Marlborough) and they all had trust funds paying for their education. Presumably expired relatives leave education trust funds to the next generation of children.

YoungBritishPissArtist Thu 04-Dec-14 15:53:43

Ah yes, I once read that Kate Middleton and her siblings' schooling was funded by a trust, set up for education only.

Fabulassie Thu 04-Dec-14 17:13:43

Well, I watched three episodes and then I got bored. They're quirky but not really all that interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now