Talk

Advanced search

To start a thread about boots not giving "points" for formula

(216 Posts)
Kab13 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:07:10

Saw someone complaining about how she had breasted for 10 months and went into boots to buy some formula and couldn't collect points on her boots card because boots don't allow it (when buying formula for under 2's I believe).
I'm breastfed for 12 months then moved onto formula & it never really bothered me that boots didn't give points out for buying formula for children under two.
I kind of get it but can't help but feel if you really struggled to breast feed and chose to move on to formula for whatever reason this could make a new mum feel ridiculously guilty (even more than she did before)
What about mums that CANT breast feed? I do think it's a little unfair on them... Someone who worked at boots commented on this lady's status saying that they can not promote formula use (give rewards for buying it) by LAW. Really ? hmm

EatShitDezza Wed 03-Dec-14 17:08:38

No store allows points to be collected for formula. You also can't aoemd points on it

Altinkum Wed 03-Dec-14 17:08:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 03-Dec-14 17:08:56

Yes it is the law.

Jackie0 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:09:22

I thought it was a legal thing, similar to why there are no adverts for formula for young babies.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 03-Dec-14 17:09:58

Actually, it's only illegal to promote (and discount, and advertise) formula milk intended for babies under six months. It's legal to discount or give points on follow-on milk and toddler milk. (although tbh if your child has a good diet, there is no point at all to toddler milk)

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Dec-14 17:10:46

By law. Really. Shops are not legally allowed to provide loyalty points etc on formula, because it could be seen as promoting formula.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 03-Dec-14 17:11:46

Why would not getting Points make someone feel guilty? You don't get Points for feeding your baby, however you do it. It's not like the BFing mothers get Points; they don't.

Anydrinkwilldo Wed 03-Dec-14 17:14:05

I know it's the law but to be fair it's bullshit. I bf both my ds but also used formula for when I was leaving them with people (expressing just wasn't for me). I hate that it's so expensive, can never be reduced and cannot be used for points. Also I've talked to people who have failed at bf and this system just upsets them as they feel like a failure.

CalamitouslyWrong Wed 03-Dec-14 17:17:30

You don't get points for all sorts of medications. It doesn't make you feel guilty for needing them.

PinkSquash Wed 03-Dec-14 17:17:34

Its only the first stage formulas that are not allowed to be promoted, its widely known.

I couldn't BF DS1 but not getting Boots or Clubcard points didn't shame or guilt trip me at all. how patronising.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 03-Dec-14 17:17:35

It is incredibly expensive. It's expensive because of all the nonsense advertising. It is fine for shops to sell formula cheaper - they just can't put it temporarily on sale.

There have been moves, at times, to have 'no name' formula, that would be cheaper, and not advertised, but I think people didn't buy it.

The fact is, if any formula ingredient is proven to be worthwhile, proven to be worth having in the formula, then by law all infant formulas (and follow on milks) must contain it. So all brands, including the 'no name' brand, are functionally the same.

Kab13 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:18:02

I remember really struggling to breast feed dd and crying in boots because I was buying a box of formula blush and felt I had let her down horrendously ( first time mum and 2 days post birth) if I had handed my boots card over at that point and been told to put it away because they don't give points for formula I think I would've been even more upset.
Luckily I didn't have my card and luckily for me I didn't need to use it in the end.
It does suggest you should be breast feeding (we all know it's the recommended way for valid reasons) and sometimes people have no choice.
As I say, I kind of get why it but at the same time think it is a little unreasonable.

MadgeMak Wed 03-Dec-14 17:19:28

Absolutely ridiculous that not being able to earn points on purchases of formula would make some women feel upset. Fine to be upset if you wanted to breastfeed but for whatever reason couldn't, but really they need to get a grip if they are getting upset over points.

mewkins Wed 03-Dec-14 17:19:50

I would rather they made the stuff cheaper! Really, I wonder how much mark up there is on it.

Kab13 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:20:15

anydrink
I agree

Kab13 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:21:21

It's not upset over getting points it's the REASON they don't get points. I'm not trying to be patronising, it's actually just personal experience.

Kab13 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:22:59

I'm pretty sure if someone had told me whilst I was crying in boots over buying formula that I was ridiculous I would have probably had a melt down.

BloodyDogHairs Wed 03-Dec-14 17:23:13

Seriously, how many Boots points would you get anyway?

I've FF my 4 dc's and it's never bothered me once whether I got points or not.

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Dec-14 17:23:23

But can you imagine the threads on here if the shops were doing 'special offers' on formula? 'Buy one get one free', 'Three for two', 'Double points this week'.

It's annoying enough that the big brands have adverts that stay the right side of the law while getting their names and their 'happy baby' messages into the minds of new and expetant mothers. If the shops were allowed to do 'promotions' on them, it would get them even more 'advertising'.

jemima1988 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:24:17

I used to work in a boots I once had a man literally shouting at me because of this! he was asking why he was being punished as neither he or his partner could breastfeed an adopted baby. I could see his point but as a sales assistant in boots I couldn't change the law!
I think he was having a bad day

LadyLuck10 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:24:26

You don't make a choice to have a baby just to collect points, so no need to get upset over anything or feel guilty. Some people need a grip really.

SauvignonBlanche Wed 03-Dec-14 17:24:29

YABU to start yet another thread about it as it has nothing to do Boots but is government legislation.

Kab13 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:25:15

I wouldn't have been upset about the boots points.
It's not about the boots points.
I feel I'm struggling to get my urggh...point across.

confuddledDOTcom Wed 03-Dec-14 17:25:35

It's illegal to promote or offer discounts on formula. International code. I didn't think it was that tough TBH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now