Talk

Advanced search

To apply for a credit card through Compare The Market just to get a meerkat toy?

(22 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Wed 03-Dec-14 15:47:54

I'd never actually use the credit card, I'd shred it when it arrived, I've seen firsthand the damage that can be done with one. But we don't need any kind of insurance and I want a Safari Oleg!

Are there any downsides to having a credit card but never using it? Does it do anything to your credit rating?

Nohootingchickenssleeping Wed 03-Dec-14 15:51:37

Yes it does affect your credit rating. You can get an Oleg on Ebay you know?

Summerisle1 Wed 03-Dec-14 15:54:06

Just buy one. Don't have your credit rating affected by applying for a card you don't want or need. How expensive can a Safari Oleg be anyway?

Poolomoomon Wed 03-Dec-14 15:58:27

You can buy them on ebay, they're surprisingly very popular though so theres a lot of bids on the ones I can see... Makes more sense to do that than to get a credit card you don't want or need though. I don't get it personally, what would you do with it?

Germgirl Wed 03-Dec-14 16:20:47

The Safari Oleg toys are surprisingly tiny you know. I got one for DSD by buying my insurance through Compare the Market.
Here he is. He's about the size of my hand.

Beanie99 Wed 03-Dec-14 16:31:11

I agree, don't bother. I was gutted when Safari Oleg arrived at my house, he is tiny!!! I know he's a baby but still expected him to be a bit bigger!

WinnieTheBitch Wed 03-Dec-14 16:34:06

I'm selling a baby Oleg if your interested?! Brand new in box!

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 03-Dec-14 18:00:52

You can get one by switching your gas and electric too, or insurance.

AnotherGirlsParadise Wed 03-Dec-14 18:06:24

I took out contents insurance purely to get a Baby Oleg. DP was impressed by my proactive attitude to protecting our belongings and 'being a proper grownup' (something I'm normally fairly shit at), then a few weeks later Baby Oleg arrives and DP twigs grin

iggymama Wed 03-Dec-14 19:31:14

I have standard Oleg and I very kindly sorted my parent's car insurance so we could get a safari Oleg. They are small but very cute.

KnackeredMuchly Wed 03-Dec-14 19:37:13

Credit cards are actually good for your credut rating provided you pay them off in full each month.

Someone who has never had any credit or debt is in a much worse position as they have no proof they can be responsible with a loan.

I know, it's stupid.

That said, how much is your personal data worth? You'll be on those lists with Compare the Market and credit companies etc.

You could buy one on ebay instead?

avocadotoast Wed 03-Dec-14 19:46:39

I've got an Oleg en route, you can buy it if you want. Save me the hassle of sticking it on eBay grin

Blueandwhitelover Wed 03-Dec-14 19:49:32

I did a credit card switch to get a Baby Oleg after the thread on here saying how much they were fetching on ebay. It's on ebay and not had a nibble yet lol.
I get the feeling it may end up in the cupboard.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Wed 03-Dec-14 19:53:01

I made DH use their site for the car insurance just so we could get a Baby Oleg grin blush
We got an email yesterday from "Auntie Sergei" to say Oleg has now entered the UK with his bug toy and is on his way and that he (Sergei) hopes he (Oleg) will be very happy with us grin
And now I'm in a panic cos we're moving and I don't want to lose Oleg confused
They do take quite a while to arrive. We got a choice between the ordinary one and the Safari one.

InfinitySeven Wed 03-Dec-14 19:57:51

I want an Oleg! Avocado and Winnie PM me if you haven't sold them yet.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 03-Dec-14 20:03:02

So what would happen exactly, to my credit rating if I did do it? If I got a credit card and shredded it straightaway, what would my credit rating be? confused

I can't really afford to buy one sad unless some lovely kind person wants to give me a safari Oleg for christmas? grin <winning smile>
(Joke!)

Euphemia Wed 03-Dec-14 20:59:41

How much can an Oleg cost?! How about £50?!

calculatorsatdawn Wed 03-Dec-14 21:05:16

I got two last year and flogged them for 15quid each. I was stunned (and had a lovely Sunday lunch out on the proceeds)

Blueandwhitelover Thu 04-Dec-14 07:48:16

They don't fetch £50, mine is on for £12 and doesn't even have any watchers lol. It is a cute toy though, we also have the biker one, the school teacher one and I believe Sergei is on his way too. Perhaps I should sell them as a family!

allypally999 Thu 04-Dec-14 08:05:40

I have a few meerkats now and got safari Oleg recently. I didn't know what to do with them all (I'm 56 with no kids) so kept him in the box and took to charity shop along with 2 unboxed others - they got £30 for him and £10 each for the others. I feel all saintly and they are happy so good result all round. I have 3 more at the minute but strangely reluctant to part with them - they are cute! I will give them away soon ... honest!

specialsubject Thu 04-Dec-14 08:31:57

I got £25 for a standard one last year, needed insurance anyway so it knocked more off the premium.

they take about 3 months to arrive.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 04-Dec-14 08:32:58

I sold my Safari Oleg on eBay last week for £27.50 (free P+P buy it now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now