Talk

Advanced search

To hate it when people refer to little girls as 'Little Ladies'?

(45 Posts)
mrsfoxxxx Wed 03-Dec-14 12:40:39

It just sounds.....wrong!

Someone I know always refers to her baby girl as a little lady and in every photo she puts on Facebook there is a caption referring to her as Little Lady. Very irritating.

TywysogesGymraeg Wed 03-Dec-14 12:41:42

They are little ladies though, aren't they? Just like boys are little men.

EatShitDezza Wed 03-Dec-14 12:42:17

I called my sister a little lady the other day.

She had a handbag on and was sat with her legs crossed and tapping her foot like she was waiting.

Some people call their kids little man too.

I don't see the issue.

When they are calling the kid 'little wanker' or 'little fuckface' then I will understand the problem a little

FlossyMoo Wed 03-Dec-14 12:43:58

Hate it if you must but it is not really something I find offence/upsetting/hate/care about.

Why does it sound so wrong to you?

LadyLuck10 Wed 03-Dec-14 12:44:59

People really go out of their way to find things offensive.

mrsfoxxxx Wed 03-Dec-14 12:45:07

I just think it sounds a bit cringeworthy

mrsfoxxxx Wed 03-Dec-14 12:45:36

Oh I'm not offended LadyLuck.

EatShitDezza Wed 03-Dec-14 12:45:37

I got told off for referring to my child as The Child on here grin so I agree * lady*

HenriettaTurkey Wed 03-Dec-14 12:46:02

I hate it too: little women would be much better. Ladies is an outdated judgment with all the outdated expectations and associations that go with it.

anothergenericname Wed 03-Dec-14 12:46:10

Could be worse. Could be Mummy's speshul princess...

TheSpottedZebra Wed 03-Dec-14 12:47:36

I don't like it because to me it suggests expectations of ladylike behaviour, that little ladies have to sit in a restrictive, pretty dress and do nice colouring in, while the little men get to play and have fun in the mud in practical trousers.

It's quite possible that I'm projecting a bit.

hoppus Wed 03-Dec-14 12:47:46

I can understand the irritation as my MIL calls DD miss woman and it makes me fume I can’t even explain why.

TywysogesGymraeg Wed 03-Dec-14 12:49:05

I am a lady, thank you very much. I am also a woman.

I much prefer the term "ladies and gentlemen" to "women and men" in a situation where courtesy is required.

"Men and women, could I have your attention please?" sounds daft.

TywysogesGymraeg Wed 03-Dec-14 12:50:08

SpottedZebra The opposite to lady is gentleman, not man. Gentleman has all the same connotations as lady

EatShitDezza Wed 03-Dec-14 12:50:53

I say 'watch that lady' when my son isn't looking where he is going.

That doesn't mean I think that person should sit in a dress grin

I say 'watch that Mister' when it's a man.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 03-Dec-14 12:53:46

TywysogesGymraeg obviously I am well aware that ladies and gentlemen is the matching pair, but in the context of this thread, about people calling little girls, Little Ladies, it is actually Little Man that is the pair. Have you ever heard of a child being called Little Gentleman, as a proper noun?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 03-Dec-14 12:54:58

Your name means Welsh Princess, right? Maybe you're the type who does like calling people princesses, ladies. That's fine, but I have a different opinion!

CountingThePennies Wed 03-Dec-14 13:00:38

Im wondering if we have the same fb friend.

Someone on my facebook has a newborn and always calls her little lady and never by her name

MagicMojito Wed 03-Dec-14 13:11:55

I call mine little ladies all theshock time. I think some of you are projecting a little here tbh. Not everything has to have a deeper, sinister meaning.

slippermaiden Wed 03-Dec-14 13:12:33

I refer to other people's daughters as madam. I count myself as a lady, my husband is a gentleman, but we both live in jeans and drink pints of lager! These are just words and people make so much of them!!

elQuintoConyo Wed 03-Dec-14 13:14:42

Pile of shite.

Sorry.

KANGAD Wed 03-Dec-14 13:21:45

Yes I find it really irritating too along with little man and small person, not even sure why I just find it irritating. A one off I can deal with but in my experience the people who do this often always refer to their child in the same way. Calling them prince or princesses probably irritates me more.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 03-Dec-14 13:35:46

Even worse when they use Lil instead of little

Poolomoomon Wed 03-Dec-14 15:14:24

Oh I don't like it either. It's up there with prince/princess <boak>. Little man is just as cringey, Awhhhhh look at my ickle man. No, just no.

I don't mind being called a lady though, agreed ladies and gentlemen sounds 100000000x better than men and women.

IamGrimalkin Wed 03-Dec-14 15:16:40

It's better than "little princess". There seem to be thousands of princesses running around these days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now