Talk

Advanced search

to try on a few different sizes but only buy one of them

(47 Posts)
marryj Wed 03-Dec-14 12:33:40

Nc but regular.

I shop with a certain online store regularly - thousands spent in years. For clothes I often buy a few sizes as I find they vary a lot between brands. Then I usually keep one but send back the others in pristine condition. Nobig difference to a normal shop I thought. But this but retailer has now sent me a snooty email, basically saying they don't want to do business with me and have closed my account.

Aibu?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 03-Dec-14 12:35:27

Of course YANBU! If that is why the retailer is closing your account they will be losing a lot of customers over that policy who is it?

Fudgeface123 Wed 03-Dec-14 12:36:06

Did they give you a reason why they don't want to do business with you. Their email must've said a bit more than that?

nottheOP Wed 03-Dec-14 12:36:32

Who is it?!

museumum Wed 03-Dec-14 12:37:25

do they offer 'free returns'? maybe the postage is costing them too much and they're basically losing out on the amount you buy vs the amount you return.

sleeplessbunny Wed 03-Dec-14 12:38:19

Very odd. Surely it is perfectly normal to try a few different sizes? Name and shame, please!

wishmiplass Wed 03-Dec-14 12:39:33

Erm. No. YADNBU. Tell us who it is!

TicTicBOOM Wed 03-Dec-14 12:41:16

What?! Everyone does this!

marryj Wed 03-Dec-14 12:42:38

Its Amazon, the reason they gave was for too many returns.

Only clothes I have returned after a day or so and in just as good condition that they arrived in.

daisybrown37 Wed 03-Dec-14 12:42:57

When I worked for an online clothing company it was standard practice for our customers to buy 2 sizes.

So YANBU

TicTicBOOM Wed 03-Dec-14 12:44:27

We return things to Amazon constantly. How much stuff have you sent back?

Have you been paying to return them yourself?

JackSkellington Wed 03-Dec-14 12:50:28

I return a lot to a different website - mainly due to ordering 2 sizes or having to send things back because they don't look right on me.
I would have thought they would receive a lot of returns, since it's impossible to try things on before you buy online.

marryj Wed 03-Dec-14 12:51:44

No all the returns were free, didn't give the option of paying for them ,- I wouldn't of minded this as still save on parking.

Haven't returned that much, a couple a month. Once I did order a dress in two sizes and three colours and ended up sending them all back but apart from that I usually just order two sizes and keep the one that fits.

RoganJosh Wed 03-Dec-14 12:52:52

Maybe Amazon have a different 'acceptable ratio of orders to returns' than specifically clothes shops? What I mean is that the bulk of their business isn't clothes, so perhaps if you buy mostly clothes from them then you're unluckily triggering some thing in their system.

playftseforme Wed 03-Dec-14 12:54:46

I always order all clothing online in 2 different sizes (sometimes a combination of lengths too!). I also buy clothes for my dd in 2 different sizes. Usually one of the return codes is 'ordered for choice' or words to that effect, meaning that most online retailers expect this.

v odd

Jamrollypolly Wed 03-Dec-14 13:01:33

That's strange I've always been impressed with Amazon customer service. I rarely return things though. Did they give you any warning? Try their live chat they are pretty helpful. I heard next did this once to a friend of a friend.

OnlyLovers Wed 03-Dec-14 13:05:05

Outrageous. I sometimes order two sizes or different colours etc.

You could ask to see their written policy as to what exactly counts as 'to many returns'. And ask them if they'd really rather forgo your regular business than suck up postage costs occasionally.

If they don't respond adequately, name and shame them! Social media, Which? or similar publications, word of mouth ... And tell them that you're going to do it, obviously.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Wed 03-Dec-14 13:07:43

I think it's fairly normal to do this within reason, and whilst I could understand if you were continually doing it to a small retailer and costing them money then it'd be a bit unreasonable, but the fact that it's Amazon with this attitude is a bit shocking!

I always found their customer service to be really good. Twice they have re-sent me goods, no questions asked, when technically it was my fault that they didn't turn up (got delivered to work reception and went missing, receptionist claimed it was never delivered, turned up in a clear several months later).

Dolallytats Wed 03-Dec-14 13:08:44

I do this all the time with various companies. You have to when even the same size items can vary in the same shop.

Never heard of anyone being banned because of this. Hope it doesn't become standard.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 03-Dec-14 13:12:28

I've never before heard of a company behaving in this way, sounds very odd.

Many returns forms have in their tick-box 'reason for return' section actually give you the option of ticking the box to say something along the lines of "ordered multiple to try size and colours". (Not those exact words, but I can't remember them offhand).

Many smaller companies make a charge for returns though, so maybe everyone is feeling the squeeze.

TicTicBOOM Wed 03-Dec-14 13:13:15

I can't believe they've just essentially told you to fuck off. I've always been so impressed with their customer service when dealing with them. Very, very strange.

What did the email say? Are they going to stop you from opening another account?

soupey1 Wed 03-Dec-14 13:14:49

As someone else has mentioned it is because Amazon is not specifically a clothes retailer and if part of every order is returned their computer system will flag it up. They just have a different mind set due to the range of goods they sell.

WMittens Wed 03-Dec-14 13:20:58

Am I the only one to find it odd that someone would order 5 sizes and then send back the 4 that don't fit?

If you want to try before you buy, go to a bricks-and-mortar shop. If you're not sure something might fit, go to a shop. This is one reason why I never buy footwear online, I need to feel the fit before making a decision.

CrunchySlippers Wed 03-Dec-14 13:22:05

i've just been to Next to get swimwear for hols next week, and they (of course as its winter!) didnt have any, so the supervisor lady (very helpful!) said go online, open an account and order all the ones you can get and bring back what you dont want within 28 days (�170 later....._

russiandwarf Wed 03-Dec-14 13:22:20

I'm shocked! I thought Amazon always had good customer service!

Their returns policy says the following in the Statutory Rights section - "By law, customers in the European Union also have the right to cancel the purchase of an item within 14 days beginning from the day you receive" - so if you are returning/cancelling your purchase in this time frame they can't stop you surely? I think this is in place purely for online purchasing, a cooling off period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now