Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? Friend doesn't like gift?

(3 Posts)
WelliBeDamned Wed 03-Dec-14 12:32:14

I bought my friend a collage type photo gift of her little boy with a nice frame for her birthday. That was over 6 months ago and it's still lying face down on the unit (it's the type that it needs to be hung up on the wall). Meanwhile, she's put up a few photos of her son on the walls but hasn't put mine up. I feel a bit hurt that she doesn't seem to like my gift and seems a bit ungrateful sad A lot of thought went into it and when I asked her about it and if she wanted to change the frame if she didn't like it she got defensive and said it wasn't that it's because she didn't have any screws to hang it up. AIBU?

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Dec-14 12:35:44

I think you need to say to her "It's okay if it's not your kind of thing, don't feel you have to put it up if you don't like it. I'm a bit sad that I got your taste wrong, but no biggy" And mean it.

Sometimes we don't have the same taste as our friends. Sometimes that's a surprise. You just have to accept it. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it, and you nagging her to put it on the wall isn't fair.

PoirotsMoustache Wed 03-Dec-14 12:45:38

YANBU to feel a bit hurt, it's completely understandable.

I personally think it's a lovely gift, but some people might view it as a bit too personal. Many prefer to choose frames and pictures of their children themselves. I had a hang-up about other people buying snowsuits for my PFB! So she may really appreciate the sentiment, but it might not be exactly the sort of thing she'd choose for herself and she doesn't want to hurt your feelings.

I second what AMumInScotland says - tell your friend it's ok if she doesn't want to put it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now