Talk

Advanced search

To hate the phrase 'its the thought that counts'

(8 Posts)
StripedOss Wed 03-Dec-14 12:16:00

especially when its obvious absolutely no bloody thought went into it?

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 03-Dec-14 12:17:43

YANBU

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 03-Dec-14 12:20:02

Posted too soon....it's usually accompanied with some value bog roll or petrol station flowers picked up en route as an after--non--thought and just makes you think 'WELL BLOODY WELL THINK NEXT TIME THEN!!'

schokolade Wed 03-Dec-14 12:20:55

I think a lot of people use this phrase wrongly. When someone gets you a rubbish gift, they say "it's the thought that counts". As in, at least they thought enough to get you a gift. When really, the saying renders their gift useless because no thought went into it...

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Dec-14 12:24:13

Challenge them to explain exactly what they were thinking if it was so profound...

Petrol station flowers on random occasion - even the vaguest 'she likes flowers' is a good thought.

Petrol station flowers on anniversary - shows complete absence of thought.

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Dec-14 12:26:02

Yes 'its the thought that counts' is fair when they ordered you a wonderful present in plenty of time but an avalanche, postal strike, or other unforeseen event has got in the way of them being able to actually deliver on that thought.
It doesn't mean 'Hey I managed to remember you actually have a birthday at all, get over it'

HedgehogsDontBite Wed 03-Dec-14 12:31:43

When used correctly the phrase is good and true, like when 18 month old DS gave me a chewed and slobbery bit of his toast this morning as a present. I hate it when it's misused as an excuse for something no thought has gone into at all, like the tins of biscuits my sister gives to those she feels obliged to buy for but doesn't give two hoots about (ie me).

BendyMum15 Wed 03-Dec-14 12:35:23

MIL likes to give crap presents but says its the thought that counts.
One year I was given a 50ml bottle of Evian and DH often gets given a packet of walnuts.
The only thinking she has done seems to be to have opened her cupboard and thought what crap can I get rid of this year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now