Talk

Advanced search

Claridges Breastfeeding Policy

(639 Posts)
ifgrandmahadawilly Tue 02-Dec-14 20:31:02

Aibu in posting this here, in the hopes that the people of mumsnet let Claridges know how unreasonable they are being?

www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/11267989/Mother-forced-to-cover-up-with-large-napkin-while-breastfeeding-at-Claridges.html

bigbluestars Tue 02-Dec-14 20:41:09

"A spokeswoman for Claridge’s said: “Of course breastfeeding is allowed at the hotel, we just ask our guests to be discreet.” "

The law upholds even non-discreet breastfeeding.

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Tue 02-Dec-14 20:42:45

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2250297-Claridges-asks-BF-mother-to-COVER-UP

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Tue 02-Dec-14 20:43:33

Really Bigblue have you got that actual legal...thing?

I dont think you can get more discreet than that woman was .....

bigbluestars Tue 02-Dec-14 20:50:44

It doesn't matter if you are discreet or not, a woman still has the right to breastfeed. The law makes no disctinction between "discreet" and "non discreet" breastfeeding.

"In England and Wales the Equality Act states that it is sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because she is breastfeeding." NHS

Hatespiders Tue 02-Dec-14 20:52:20

The Equality Act 2010 states that it is illegal to discriminate against any woman breastfeeding in public. Claridges could actually be brought to book over this incident. It is only permitted to ask a woman to leave if she is also causing a disturbance or annoying people in some other way (eg swearing or being aggressive) The photo of the woman and her baby is charming, and the 'modesty napkin' utterly ridiculous. Discrimination pure and simple.

bigbluestars Tue 02-Dec-14 20:54:05

If this was scotland Claridge's staff could be arrrested by the police.
Here is is a criminal offence to ask a breastfeeding women to cover up or stop.

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Tue 02-Dec-14 20:54:31

Interesting well lets hope they do take claridges to task over it!

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Tue 02-Dec-14 20:55:02

Really Big, good for scotland shame its not like that here.

FrancesNiadova Tue 02-Dec-14 20:55:36

This is the 21st Century.
Baby is hungry.
Mum feeds baby.
No problem.
FFS! tbangry

SpaghettiMeatballs Tue 02-Dec-14 20:55:48

Totally unreasonable. Both my DCs would have pulled that napkin straight off.

pointythings Tue 02-Dec-14 20:56:17

Time for a feed-in in Claridges? They need to drag themselves into the 21st century and fast. Discrimination is not classy.

ApocalypseThen Tue 02-Dec-14 20:56:23

I can see no reason why a woman should consider modesty in breast feeding if she isn't that way inclined. I read the comments on the guardian's CIF and they were actually disgusting, in some cases, perverted.

carbolicsoaprocked Tue 02-Dec-14 21:01:17

Totally time for a feed-in, Pointy. Utterly ridiculous - as if bf isn't difficult enough as it is.

LokiBear Tue 02-Dec-14 21:02:14

Things like this make me really angry. The managers of Claridges should be ashamed.

pointythings Tue 02-Dec-14 21:02:27

Such a shame my bf days are behind me, I would so be there as long as it was on a weekend but mine are 11 and 13... Let's hope that they get such a shitstorm of bad publicity that they change their idiotic and illegal policy.

SaucyJack Tue 02-Dec-14 21:02:28

Can we afford a feed-in in Claridges?

spiderlight Tue 02-Dec-14 21:02:51

I wish I was still breastfeeding. I'd go to Claridges specially.

DixieNormas Tue 02-Dec-14 21:04:54

Might take the toddler, he doesn't do discreet bf

MindReader Tue 02-Dec-14 21:04:56

A 'feed-in' in Claridges is a GREAT idea! grin

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Tue 02-Dec-14 21:14:07

I read the comments on the guardian's CIF and they were actually disgusting, in some cases, perverted.

Oh so its not just daily mail readers who are leaving nasty comments then, the Guardian readers are too....but they are supposed to be the nice ones?

Well I have emailed Claridges asking them how their actions have complied with the 2010 Equality Act, which states the BF must not be made to feel discriminated agaisnt.

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Tue 02-Dec-14 21:14:51

The managers of Claridges should be ashamed.

They have acted outiside the law they should be brought to book

whois Tue 02-Dec-14 21:18:35

Redic. That stupid 'modesty napkin' thing is awful. She looked pretty discrete to me.

Whoever asked her to cover up should be sacked, and sent to live in Saudi or somewhere else more in line with the staff members modesty values

Lomega Tue 02-Dec-14 21:19:05

I saw this on Facebook and was appalled to see people commenting things like "You say it's natural, so is pooing, we don't do that in public!"

I mean, are people that thick?? Really?

The Equality Act 2010 should have been shown to Claridge's. I don't go there anyway but certainly won't now. What is the world coming to.

bigbluestars Tue 02-Dec-14 21:21:42

"She looked pretty discrete to me. " and if she wasn't "discreet"? Why would that matter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now