Talk

Advanced search

To knock on the door to have it out?

(19 Posts)
Redling Tue 02-Dec-14 20:17:22

I live in a group of streets of Victorian houses that have on street parking. The street at a right angle to me that I walk down with my 3 month old baby in his pram to get to local shops has houses only on one side and also only path on that side. As they have slightly larger front gardens than everyone else, they have all paved them over and park their cars on them. The house halfway down however always has a massive estate car hanging over the whole path. The road is a mess of uneven tarmac and potholes. Everytime that bloody car is parked up I have to either bounce him down a road of potholes where my wheels get stuck, and then scurry up to the pavement if a car comes, or walk on the pavement but bounce him down and up the massive kerb to go round this car. This wakes DS 90% of the time. AIBU to knock on their door and explain this is what I have to do, and how also wheelchair users and people with shopping trollies etc would have to do this, and ask them to park their car somewhere where it won't take over the path? Or should I post a note, or maybe inform the council in a sneaky way? I'm not one for starting neighbour beef, but also not one to shy away from talking to someone and I have the idea that it would go well and not end up in a horrible argument? I could walk longer around the block and avoid it btw, but I shouldn't fucking HAVE TO!

lem73 Tue 02-Dec-14 20:21:16

You could leave a note on the car. My neighbour did it to another neighbour who kept parking his van in a very awkward place. Have never did it again but they are quite nice people so you never know how people will react.

cailindana Tue 02-Dec-14 20:22:24

Report it to the council. It's illegal tl park across a public footpath.

Twitterqueen Tue 02-Dec-14 20:22:39

Hi OP
I have no idea of the legalities but I reluctantly have to say that YABU.
Whatever that property looks like, or however functional it is to you - a mum with a buggy - is actually totally irrelevant. You have no right to dictate to the owners how they should look after their property. It is not their responsibility to make it mum-with-buggy-accessible. It's their house. Not yours.

TheXxed Tue 02-Dec-14 20:23:59

twitter the car is parked on the public footpath.

YANBU take a picture report to the council.

SnowSpot Tue 02-Dec-14 20:25:01

I'd take a photo and send it to the council if a note doesn't work. Cars which block pavements are a right bugbear of mine. angry

@Twitterqueen, I dont' think the OP is particularly that bothered about the decor (it's a side issue), it's more that she can't use the footpath.

Redling Tue 02-Dec-14 20:26:03

twitterqueen the point is the back of the estate car hangs completly over the public footpath to the road so you can't walk (or push a pram, wheelchair etc) at all where the car is and have to go down a massive kerb into traffic. I don't give a shit what it looks like! They are making part of the street inaccessible to the people who are supposed to be able to use it.

invisibleperson Tue 02-Dec-14 20:27:44

Our neighbour's builder got a parking ticket because he parked his van hanging over most of the public footpath - it is illegal. Yanbu, but if I was you I'd take a photo and phone council.

Redling Tue 02-Dec-14 20:28:09

The public road is the mess of uneven Tarmac and potholes btw, not the persons house which looks quite nice smile I was just a pointing out that the road is a shitty surface to bounce a pram along.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 02-Dec-14 20:30:30

Sorry Twitter am I mussing something? Where did the OP complain about the look of the house/ garden.
I thought she was talking about the estate car sticking out of the driveway onto the public pathway.
?

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Tue 02-Dec-14 20:31:47

Twitter I think if you read the post again it's the state of the road the that op is commenting on not the state if the house.

OP yanbu I think as a pp said parking in a way that obscures a public footpath is against the law, perhaps ring your local council helpline and check, they may take the details and then do something about it.

oneowlgirl Tue 02-Dec-14 20:33:12

I'd knock on the door first & politely ask them not to block the footpath as it makes the footpath inaccessible to you (& more importantly wheelchair users). If there's no joy with that, then I'd contact the police on 101 & also the council.

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Dec-14 20:34:35

Ring the council

Report the car and the state of the road.

Redling Tue 02-Dec-14 20:37:47

I actually work for said council smile in a totally different department, but they know fine well how horrific the roads are but do shit all.

I do like the idea that I'm posting notes through my neighbours doors complaining about the state of their driveways grin

grumpyoldgitagain Tue 02-Dec-14 20:38:22

If the car is overhanging the footpath it is causing an obstruction so report it to the council

Sallyingforth Tue 02-Dec-14 21:18:00

Don't bother with a note. They might notice you putting it there, and it will get personal. Report it to your highways dept with a picture.

effinandjeffin Tue 02-Dec-14 21:35:27

Will the council actually do anything? Near where I used to live, there was a wide pavement with double yellows painted down it near a garage and a betting shop and the amount of people who parked on the pavement, usually two abreast, did my flippin nut in. It was a busy road and I could never get the pushchair through the gaps the cars left meaning I had to go into the road. I complained to my local council (who, tbf, are useless at everything else, not just this issue) and just got fobbed off.

So YANBU as parking on the pavement is also a bugbear of mine (the selfish bloody arses) but I'm not sure a note would do it and would your council be bothered?

MOTU Tue 02-Dec-14 21:49:15

I just bought a new (second hand) car and a major part if my choosing criterion was will it fit on our front drive, we have a similar arrangement of paved front garden and I would no way park a car on it that would over hang, very inconsiderate and illegal I believe! And I live in a small cul de sac so it wouldn't even be in many peoples way if i did but I still wouldn't, report to the council, it's the most anonymous way....

Redling Tue 02-Dec-14 22:07:57

It's just something that's getting me more ragey every time it happens, today I was splashing and struggling down the road as I could see the car was there and blocking the path so I may as well go down the road, and DS who hates being under the rain cover had just fallen asleep, and then a car comes and beeps at me so I had to yank him onto the path, so he woke and cried. And that is something that rages me smile I think I'll see what happens if I contact the council, I really prefer to just get things sorted and talk to people, but I don't know who lives there and I suppose you never know... I'd like to think if I turned up politely and smiley with a pram then shit wouldn't kick off, but I'd rather not take the risk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now