Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of people commenting on what I eat?

(24 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Tue 02-Dec-14 18:38:26

I don't know whether this is just me or commonplace.

I think that I eat a fairly normal diet. I eat junk food and crap but I eat healthily too. I'm a completely normal weight and I don't diet or ask anyone's opinions on food.

There's a few people mainly at work who seem to constantly comment on what I'm eating.

If I bring lots of fruit and a salad I get "ooo you're being healthy aren't you". I don't mind this one so much. But if I bring a ready meal (rare), or go and buy a sandwich from subway (again rare), I get comments like "you're not going to eat that are you", or them telling me it's rubbish or full of chemicals.

They might ask what I did at the weekend and I might say. I went to McDonalds and the cinema, and I get comments about how McDonalds is vile and full of air. The worst though is when I'm eating something or drinking a can of coke and people actually pull faces of disgust while I'm eating.

The fact is that I don't really care, if I'm eating a ready meal or drinking a can of coke the chances are I was too late to prepare my lunch or I'm on my period and craving crap. 90% of the time I have water, fruit and a homemade sandwich or leftover stew or something. But I've nothing against convenience food or takeaways in moderation.

The best of it is though, the people who comment are the worst culprits, and eat rubbish themselves most days but seem to think that their crisps, Fanta and micro rice are superior to my food.

bigbloatedmilkshake Tue 02-Dec-14 18:44:16

Oh, they do, and it's annoying. My name comes from the horror of having a banana milkshake with lunch - when asked on here I was told off as I must feel 'bloated' grin

With disgusted face pullers I think you CAN say something, though!

Vitalstatistix Tue 02-Dec-14 18:45:31

tell them to pack it in. Tell them they are being rude.

HedgehogAtHome Tue 02-Dec-14 18:49:25

My first assumption was that you worked at some amazing 5* restaurant where you could have free dinners.

If they're eating crap but commenting on your food they're just being dicks. Shut them down, say 'Thanks, Dr Gillian McKeith, would you like a shit sample in a tupperware dish now or are you done?'

Are they nice to you in general?

Chottie Tue 02-Dec-14 18:49:29

Ignore, ignore, ignore

(or stop eating in the office at work smile)

Discopanda Tue 02-Dec-14 18:51:42

Is it just me or does this happen to women more than men? It drives me up the blimming wall!

mamalovebird Tue 02-Dec-14 18:52:44

I get this at work too. Mainly from those who seem to be constantly 'on a diet'. It drives me nuts. I eat normally, sometimes healthy, sometimes not. I cycle to work and the same people always seem pleased on the days I've not cycled.

I don't diet and exercise regularly so I can pretty much eat treats and not worry about it. It's just jealousy I reckon.

I always tell them to exercise but it's met with an array of excuses.

operaha Tue 02-Dec-14 18:53:02

I get this all the time. I eat "exotic" hmm things such as avocado or aubergine and people comment on it all the time. Really winds me up.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 02-Dec-14 18:53:22

Mmm I'd love a banana milkshake now.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 02-Dec-14 18:59:44

Maybe they do the faces when you eat SUbway because they reek?

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 02-Dec-14 18:59:51

Guilty as charged I do eat at my desk, but honestly everyone does, literally everyone.

Yes these people are nice generally just a bit dim about food I think. One in particular is very bad, she eats crisps (mccoys) but tells me my crisps are full of crap. Even if they are full of crap I don't need telling, I'm under no illusions but I'm an adult and I'll eat what I like.

The thing is I find myself excusing myself and explaining how I didn't have time to make lunch or just really fancied this. Explaining to people who never ever make their own food.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 02-Dec-14 19:06:02

Do you work at my work clawhands?

It's not that anyway because this person eats subway herself, but when I have it, as I say rarely, maybe every 6 months, she decides it's full of crap.

Anyway loads of people eat Subway at work, and chips and McDonald's. People also bring in strong smelling foods from home to reheat, and as the kitchen is open plan it stinks out the whole office.

Perhaps everyone should stick to cheese sandwiches so as not to offend others delicate noses?

FoxgloveFairy Tue 02-Dec-14 19:11:49

But then, pajama, you would get remarks about the evil of the cheese you were eating, or the bread. From the types being discussed here anyway.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 02-Dec-14 19:11:53

Id start biting back.

"Gosh your life must be so boring if this is all that entertains you"

"Yep.....yep.....yep.....have you got nothing better to tall about?"

"Fuck off" - my personal favourite.

m0therofdragons Tue 02-Dec-14 19:25:22

I used to be a size 10 (3 dc later I'm now a 12 but that's not the point). If people bought birthday cakes into the office and I had one a manager of the next dept would tell me with a gasp how many weight watchers points I was eating. I wasn't on ww so didn't give a flying f.... used to really irritate me. One of her team was anorexic and she once opened up to me about how she couldn't eat in front of her Manager as she'd make a loud comment for all to hear.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Tue 02-Dec-14 19:28:19

You could reply with,

And?

And repeat with

And?

And repeat with,

You getting the picture? wink

Or just tell them to fuck off.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 02-Dec-14 19:36:40

That's the thing I don't even think they mean or know what they're saying. But I'm quite self conscious and hate having attention drawn to myself. I think I'm too polite as I never ever comment on people's food apart from maybe to say something they've made looks nice.

twostepsister Tue 02-Dec-14 19:39:32

A few years ago I was at work and at break I got a chocolate bar from the vending machine, bearing in mind there is normally 15 - 20 people at random sittings. As I was eating, a work colleague shouts across the table 'Twostepsister that's your second chocolate bar today' I answered back 'I'm relying on you to keep a tally' shock

Goldenbear Tue 02-Dec-14 19:48:35

I think it's really rude and I do think women are on the receiving end of this more regardless of size and shape. I love those that don't give a shit- I once worked with someone who around Easter time was bringing a 6 box of cadburys cream eggs in pretty much every other day and just eating those for lunch. The commentators were 'really concerned'. It was a bit unusual but she was an adult and it only lasted for about 3 weeks. Essentially, it is nothing to do with anyone!

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 02-Dec-14 19:48:35

My sister does it too, she visits me twice a year and tells me how I'm always eating a jacket potato every time she comes, and asks do I never eat anything else. Feel like saying "well yes, on the other 362 day of the year".

Worrying about food is so boring.

Zippidydoodah Tue 02-Dec-14 20:59:26

Ha! I'm glad the only comments we get in my workplace are along the lines of, "mmmm that smells/looks good!"

specialsubject Tue 02-Dec-14 21:23:54

diet, calorie, junk food talk, general talk about food except to comment on a particularly delicious meal are boring as hell.

you know about food and nutrition and it is your business.

nippiesweetie Tue 02-Dec-14 21:31:31

It sounds like you have been nominated the healthy eating representative at work and that's why they comment when, in their eyes, you deviate. I'm with you. Eat reasonably healthily most of the time and have the odd burger or chocolate bar whenever you feel like it.

Lomega Tue 02-Dec-14 21:31:50

YANBU - this drives me mad too. I don't dictate to other people what to eat so expect the same courtesy extended. I'm veggie and everyone always, always has to comment, whether it's to ask why, or justify why they themselves eat meat. Just go away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now