Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a panic attack?

(10 Posts)
Sussexbelle73 Tue 02-Dec-14 18:37:25

Basically from nowhere I seem to be having panic attacks. I have had some checks at the doctors including an ecg which was normal.

Today while driving home I suddenly couldnt swallow and immediately went into a massive panic. It came from nowhere and I felt like I couldnt breathe. It was absolutely horrible esp as I had my toddler DD in the back.
I dont know what to think. I do know that I lost someone very close to me 2 years ago very traumatically and since then my anxiety levels around dying suddenly seem to be higher.

Aibu to think this might be a panic attack?

26Point2Miles Tue 02-Dec-14 18:38:52

dont know but doesnt sound like you are safe to drive

GokTwo Tue 02-Dec-14 18:49:55

That sounds horrible, I feel for you. My dad used to have panic attacks and he told me they were terrifying. they did eventually leave him and he's fine now so I hope you can get some support and be free from them soon.

ScarlettDarling Tue 02-Dec-14 18:50:26

Yes sussex these do sound like panic attacks, how scary, esp when driving, you poor thing. Im not a doctor...but i do have experience with anxiety, and panic is a really treatable form of anxiety. Id recommend a visit to the gp, perhaps giving antidepressants a try, and asking for a referral for talking therapy of some sort. It May feel like you are going mad, but honestly, so many people suffer panic attacks. Look after yourself x

MrsHathaway Tue 02-Dec-14 18:51:31

Yes, sounds like it.

Did you get any warning? I tend to.

There's lots the doctor can do if you go and ask - diazepam is useful to take ad hoc if/when you get warning, or there are regular anti-anxiety drugs which can help.

Otherwise, counselling around the trauma may help long term.

If it happens again, try to fix on something real and rational so you don't get too lost in panic. Look at the clock, perhaps, or hold DD close. Deep breaths drive away adrenaline.

Good luck.

skolastica Tue 02-Dec-14 18:53:28

Bach Rescue Remedy

calmexterior Tue 02-Dec-14 18:54:37

Yes sounds like it to me. I had them a couple of years ago after a build up of anxiety. I'd see your GP for a chat, and I recommend a book 'overcoming anxiety' which really helped me understand the physical symptoms and made me much less scared I was dying! I can stop one coming on now using the techniques in the book. They are truly horrible though, but many people experience them.

gamerwidow Tue 02-Dec-14 18:54:49

It certainly sounds like a panic attack. Very frightening for you! The best thing to try to remember is that the panic always passes. However awful you feel in the moment it always subsides. Trying contacting your gp for advice on anxiety treatments I've found a combination of cbt and ad worked for me.

Smurfingreat Tue 02-Dec-14 18:56:06

It does sound like panic. Driving was one of the first things to really set me off, I felt like I couldn't breathe and was going to pass out, absolutely terrifying. Definitely see your GP as it is treatable, a combination of antidepressants and therapy totally changed my life (I left it ages before getting help and ended up in a right mess). Loss of someone close is also a classic tipping point to develop anxiety.

One thing that may help a tiny bit - it is physically impossible to pass out whilst having a panic attack, so you are not going to conk out whilst driving.

Hope you get it sorted, take care and be nice to yourself. xx

TheHorseHasBolted Tue 02-Dec-14 19:22:59

Yes, I think it probably is one. I've had them in the past and they felt very similar to what you describe. Oddly enough, driving (which I'm actually a bit scared of in general) was one of the few times I could be absolutely certain I wouldn't have one - I think something about the need to concentrate hard meant I didn't have time to register how I was feeling. A more confident driver who doesn't have to concentrate quite so hard might not get that consolation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now