Talk

Advanced search

TOTALLY A TAAT do you think big tellies are common?

(196 Posts)
LennyCrabsticks Tue 02-Dec-14 16:50:55

And if so, can you explain why?

I'm fascinated by the whole concept.

Educate me.

Bowlersarm Tue 02-Dec-14 16:51:53

No. We have one and we're not common smile

listed Tue 02-Dec-14 16:52:20

Not common.

It's just a telly, in big.

No value judgements whatsoever attached.

DollyMcDolly Tue 02-Dec-14 16:53:06

No. I have a big telly as I love watching movies and it is better for that. It fits the large room fine.

gymboywalton Tue 02-Dec-14 16:53:06

yes

dunno why really

i hate big tellies on the wall because it gives the impression that the telly is the most important thing in the house. I don't think a tv should be the focus of a room.

AnnoyingOrange Tue 02-Dec-14 16:53:15

Common as in commonplace, meaning most people have them

LumionaMoonsplash Tue 02-Dec-14 16:53:23

Oooh I do love being common

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 02-Dec-14 16:54:20

42 inch tele that is 7 years old.

I like a big to so DH, DC and I can pull the sofa close and watch a film. We don't have the to on much these day.

KingJoffreysDodgyEars Tue 02-Dec-14 16:57:11

Nah, we just enjoy films.

Don't get the big telly snobbery. If you bought a nice 60 inch picture no one would comment. Both things you look at...

Seems sensible to have a proper sized one so you can see what's going on.

Pastperfect Tue 02-Dec-14 16:57:15

Big TV's look "common" when they are clearly worth more than everything else in the room put together. It is indicative of a bizarre sense of priorities

Mrsfluff Tue 02-Dec-14 16:57:22

I love my mahoosive tv, all 50 glorious inches wink Common? Hmmm, I'm not sure I care grin

Bair Tue 02-Dec-14 16:59:17

I don't think it's the tellies that are common. But before they (huge flatscreens) were the norm I have had to visit peoples houses through work who don't have bedding or toys or things they and their family need, but did have HUGE screen tellies.

Maybe that's where the rep came from.

listed Tue 02-Dec-14 16:59:27

What an odd thing to be judgmental about.

What about a room with a big telly AND tonnes of books?

Still common?

LennyCrabsticks Tue 02-Dec-14 16:59:54

But it IS the most important thing in my TV room.

Just like the piano is the focus of the music room and the desk is the focus of the study etc.

pinkorange Tue 02-Dec-14 17:02:31

Its the most expensive thing in my living room. I don't know what else I would need that is as expensive?

cheifbrody Tue 02-Dec-14 17:02:50

60 inch tele..... on the wall and it is the most important thing in the room as its where we watch the tv..

I am a bit common lol

pastperfect............. I have a vase that is worth more then the tv in the room so maybe i am not common,,,, i feel special now

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 02-Dec-14 17:02:54

We have a 42 incher and we're very happy with it, it's 8/9 years old now and was bought specifically for the World Cup back in Germany and I'd love one on the wall.

I don't get the big tv miffiness!

juneybean Tue 02-Dec-14 17:03:14

They're common in that a lot of people have them but I suspect you mean common as in common as muck. No.

operaha Tue 02-Dec-14 17:03:47

I thought you meant common as in everyone has one?
I have a 47 in the main living room and a 42 in the "kids" living room. Bigger one gets used loads, other one (very old 47 replaced it) never gets turned on.
I love our massive one but we have shit loads of books in the room and they get commented on first. What does that make us?

TremoloGreen Tue 02-Dec-14 17:04:54

I've got a huge telly.

Have a bloody huge sitting room, anything smaller and I would be sat too far away grin

I'm not common, boasting about the size of my house on MN notwithstanding.

LennyCrabsticks Tue 02-Dec-14 17:06:13

Apparently they are common as in for the common people. To be sniffed and sneered at.

Which is ODDNESS ITSELF.

I love mine.

Fallingovercliffs Tue 02-Dec-14 17:07:07

Not common, no, but a bit tasteless if they're totally overpowering a room.

NewNamePlease Tue 02-Dec-14 17:08:23

Yes and tacky, because they look as if you are displaying them. It's a bit like wearing chunky gold necklaces isn't it? Only common people do and it's to show they can afford them. And tacky because it is the focus of the most popular room and says I do nothing but watch my massive telly.
Saying that I do have a 52 inch plasma grin

DealForTheKids Tue 02-Dec-14 17:08:32

Posted on the original thread but a little bit. Mostly because my parents very much do, not for any rational reason. I think it's a money priorities thing, my mum and dad judged people who prioritised 'stuff' over security. I try not to because I know it's just an inherited middle class snob thing that they ingrained in me!

Actually, I worry more that they look like the telescreens from 1984. And then I get freaked out grin.

Whatsthewhatsthebody Tue 02-Dec-14 17:09:10

Who is actually snigging and sneering though?

Obviously the very Boring smug twatty types who you avoid in RL like the plague. Probably jealous too! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now