Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a bit weird - builders related

(4 Posts)
nutterbutsquash Tue 02-Dec-14 13:25:34

Have had building work booked in for months now, was supposed to start 2 weeks ago but heard nothing, was given a start date of yesterday, no one came. Now today, have come back to find 2 guys sat in a car outside, waiting for someone else. They said they have to wait for 2 hours for the other person and I'm 99% sure the guy waiting is the main builder who will be doing the work. Worried as usually get recommendations for any work like this but couldn't in this case as had limited no. of companies to choose from (Green Deal).
I think it's weird that they are in a car not a van, and that they are happy to sit in it for 2 hours waiting and that communication is non existant before project even starts. Seriously considering pulling out of the whole thing. AIBU?

DixieTreats Tue 02-Dec-14 13:35:42

I would definitely pull out. Sounds bizarre! Who sits in a car for two hours waiting for someone?? There will be things they could get on with. And yes you're right to be suspicious about the lack of a van! Get rid now - they sound like time-wasting shysters and imagine not being able to get hold of them when they mess up your heating or water or similar?!

Icimoi Tue 02-Dec-14 13:38:43

You can't necessarily pull out that easily as you presumably have a contract for this. The company is in breach of contract having failed to start on the agreed date, but that doesn't necessarily entitle you to cancel. Others may well be more knowledgeable about this, but I think you would have to write to the company making time of the essence, i.e. tell them that the work needs to start by a defined date failing which you will regard the contract as at an end.

TheChandler Tue 02-Dec-14 13:58:10

Err, if the start date was mentioned in the quote ("building work booked in for months now") of course the builders are in breach of contract themselves and the OP is entitled to cancel! The OP is under no obligation to chase someone else up to do their job or to wait indefinitely until they turn up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now