Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask What's the point of a Free school / Academy being a non-profit charity?

(7 Posts)
EducationQuestions Tue 02-Dec-14 11:50:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tricycletops Tue 02-Dec-14 11:59:11

Tax relief, basically.

Tricycletops Tue 02-Dec-14 12:00:11

This Guardian article has some details and numbers

EducationQuestions Tue 02-Dec-14 12:00:14

Tricycletops Tue 02-Dec-14 12:01:20

Argh, posted too soon twice! Sorry

www.theguardian.com/education/2014/nov/24/private-schools-labour-warning-tax-breaks-tristram-hunt

Waspie Tue 02-Dec-14 12:08:39

We get nothing out of the free school we set up. We are founders of the school and directors/trustees of the company which own the school.

We're not in it for profit. We are a registered charity. The school is funded by the DfE and the council in the same way as an LA run school.

We just needed a local school for our children to attend and the council weren't interested,so we formed a group and did it ourselves. It was, and is, a huge amount of work and it's all unpaid.

What I get out of it is not having to take my son to a school 5 miles away because we didn't get a place in our catchment school or every other school nearby as they were filled by people living closer/with siblings etc... Now we have a community primary school that my son can walk to in 10 minutes.

EducationQuestions Tue 02-Dec-14 13:46:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now