Talk

Advanced search

To think workers should tell me they are on my property?

(6 Posts)
DontPushTheButton Tue 02-Dec-14 11:12:53

I work from home. The car is on the drive. I recently had some work done on my electricity meter which resulted in a huge hole on my front drive. I was told that this would be made good in a few days.

Today, a week later, a huge truck pulls up out the front . I didn't think much of it as we have two sets of new neighbours so figured they were getting some work done.

Nest thing I hear is banging and crashing and thudding outside my side window. They have come to fix the hole in the drive, which is great. But they are making a terrible racket and I could have been on the phone to a client!

Or is this totally normal?

DontPushTheButton Tue 02-Dec-14 11:41:45

Oh. They seem to have gone now, but there is still a barrier up and they haven't re paved the area. confused

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Tue 02-Dec-14 11:43:56

Did you go and speak to them and ask what was going on?

PortofinoVino Tue 02-Dec-14 11:46:59

I work from home.

Do they know that?

ouryve Tue 02-Dec-14 11:47:15

YANBU.

I raised hell when our phone lines were changed without warning, a few years ago. The first i knew of it, I had no phone or Internet - and my mobile was flat (I'd have made sure it was charged had I known - it was an old style one that lasted a week on a single charge, but took half a day to charge up) and then we had people erecting ladders right next to my bedroom window. I had a child who was puking really badly, to the point of worrying me, so wasn't at all impressed.

When DH complained (I couldn't - no phone or Internet) I got an BT guy to the door saying "I've had a report that your phone line is down".

DontPushTheButton Tue 02-Dec-14 11:59:37

The people that did the initial work did know I work from home. Not sure who these people were or if they knew. But since the was a car in the drive, surely it is just courteous to knock just in case?

I didn't go out and speak to them no, as I was in the middle of a project that is recorded on the screen as I do it so was unable to stop until it was finished. I did go and check when I was able to which is when I discovered they had left, with the barrier still up and the paving not replaced.

ouryve that would have been so annoying! If they had cut our electricity today I would have lost all of today's work, but to that is not as bad as leaving a sick child without means of communicating to medical services if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now