Talk

Advanced search

...to ask for your help buying a present for a 14 YO?

(11 Posts)
tigermoll Tue 02-Dec-14 08:52:27

She's my god daughter, she's awesome, she's having a really tough time at the moment and I want to give her something supercool to make her feel special. But I have no idea about 14 YOs in general and haven't seen her for a year, so not sure what she is in to. She wants to be a midwife when she grows up, and is a reasonably 'young' 14.

Anyone got any suggestions of a brilliant present they bought their DS/DD? Price no object *.

* I mean, within reason.

whois Tue 02-Dec-14 08:54:24

Ask her what she likes? Ask her mum?

iTunes voichers. Shopping vouchers. Reasonably safe.

Whatsthewhatsthebody Tue 02-Dec-14 08:57:04

Personally I would stick to vouchers or cash for any teen.

With maybe chocs or perfume wrapped up so she has something to open.

steff13 Tue 02-Dec-14 08:59:33

If she's having a tough time, maybe something meaningful like a piece of jewelry would be nice. Is there something you and she share that would be special to her?

curlycat Tue 02-Dec-14 09:02:00

My dd is 14 she is getting
camera
Wifi speaker
Straightners
Curlers
Ladyshave
Jack wills hoodie
Hollister hoodie
Converse joggies
Hollister bodyspray
River island perfume
River island purse
A top from new look
Hair scrunchies
Nail varnish
Lush smellies
dvds
fluffy jumper
checked shirt
Jammies
onsie
cheapy primark jewellry

DISCLAIMER - Thats not just from us thats from family/friends as well.

DD and her friends are very into the branded stuff now but she is equally as happy with newlook and primark. What about some vouchers and a day out shopping in the sales to spend themsmile

bruffin Tue 02-Dec-14 09:08:39

If you want it to be special then something like jewellery maybe a pandora leather bracelet with a relevant charm.

tigermoll Tue 02-Dec-14 09:09:46

I think you guys are right - when I was 14 I would have preferred cash/vouchers as well! Maybe with a bracelet or something small to open.

operaha Tue 02-Dec-14 09:11:57

ALL the girls in my son's year (yr10 so 14/15) have River Island bags/purses - he despises the "thing" of it but it is indeed a "thing".
I would steer clear of clothes - but deffo go for vouchers - ds is about to turn 15 and that is all he wants full stop.
I wouldnt get important jewellery at that age - too young to be sentimental - bound to get lost/not worn.

whois Tue 02-Dec-14 09:14:22

If you are thinking about spending quite a bit - then I would have preferred cash. £200 in cash is a fortune, but £200 of 'stuff' doesn't seem to feel as much.

So I'd go for cash, and maybe take her out somewhere for the day if you live close enough? Time with you might be a nice treat if she's having a tough time.

tigermoll Tue 02-Dec-14 10:16:15

OK, I'm going for this:

www.asos.com/dogeared/dogeared-silver-stronger-than-ever-lightening-bolt-necklace/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4366373&SearchQuery=Dogeared+Silver+Stronger+Than+Ever+Lightening+Bolt+Necklace&SearchRedirect=true

Cos it's also a bit Harry Potter-y, plus dosh in a card. Thanks Mumsnetters! grin

solidussnake Tue 02-Dec-14 11:53:43

me and my DSIS (who is 16) aren't getting a lot. I still live at home so thats why I'm getting presents! My mum bought her a watch, a new TV and some underwear. She's struggling what else to get us both so I just said primark vouchers. I'd much rather be able to get a cool new wardrobe than have to take clothes I don't like back! (which we have to do every year. Bless my mum)
vouchers yy or a Next Watch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now