Talk

Advanced search

To absolutely hate getting deliveries at 8/9 at night

(13 Posts)
Livvylongpants Mon 01-Dec-14 20:14:51

Was just giving DS his bedtime milk and snuggling down and then bang bang bang bloody delivery waking him up.

Same thing happened Saturday night at 9.45pm! It set the dog of barking and both DD and DS were then woken.

I've been sat in all bloody day as deliveries are meant to be between 8 and 6!

I appreciate that I should be thankful I'm getting my deliveries etc but I'm 26 weeks pregnant and neither kids are sleeping that well and I don't want them woken by anything!

Livvylongpants Mon 01-Dec-14 20:15:28

36 weeks pregnant*

InfinitySeven Mon 01-Dec-14 20:17:24

From your point of view, it sucks. But from the point of view of people who work 9 - 6, it means they might actually get their parcel.

Our neighbours put a sign on the door at 6 asking for parcels to be left outside or the delivery man to ring their mobile number, which is presumably on silent, so as not to wake the kids. That seems to work well for them.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Mon 01-Dec-14 20:20:26

Grrrrr I had a dog who barked at the door and threatened whoever it was (!!) until I came to reassure him.

It does NOT mix well with sleeping kids, and I clearly remember this being an issue when my pfb was a baby.

Perhaps put a note on the door? Although, I don't even reckon that would be adhered to.

No advice, but my sympathies!

Livvylongpants Mon 01-Dec-14 20:22:03

That's a good idea infinity.

I do work 3 days a week so know the feeling when I get the 'sorry we missed you' card. I'm just feeling rather murderous tonight as I'm tired lol

But 8.45 Saturday night was taking the per a bit

elephantspoo Mon 01-Dec-14 20:38:52

If one thinks its appropriate to expect a person to deliver something right to your door, and at the same time expects for the whole of the rest of the world to operate at times running to 8/9 at night, it really is inappropriate to set time limits on when other people must work their jobs.

It is however wholly I appropriate for the inconsiderate AH who sent you something not to pony up the extra cash to ensure it was delivered to by a service delivering before 5pm, and wholly inappropriate if you did not convey to them your desire to be delivered to within those times.

But let's face it, unless you, or the sender in question, are willing to pay reasonable prices to have goods shipped, such that a company can operate a business and still only have to employ staff between 8 and 5, then it is sheer greed to expect people to work to provide service that you are not willing to pay for.

We are all guilty of wanting free delivery on out £3.99 paperback from Amazon, but it is greedy and selfish to feel aggrieved when it turns up 7 days late at 9 at night, or we return home to find a scrawled message on a card telling us it has been left in next doors dog kennel for our convenience.

Simple answer is be more considerate and pay for deliveries at times that suit you. The reason they deliver to you late is because they deliver to the customers who pay appropriately during the day. If you want the same considerate, pony up and pay the same rates. You get what you are willing to pay for.

Livvylongpants Mon 01-Dec-14 21:18:57

The parcel that was delivered at 9.45 in Saturday I paid to have delivered between 1 and 6 Saturday, which came at a premium believe me but u wanted t delivered when I knew I'd be home and at a time that was appropriate to me.not 9.45 when me and kids were in bed

Not all places give the option to select day and time as I do where possible so I know I'm not working.

I'm not used to doing loads of online shopping but I'm 36 weeks pregnant with spd and a 3 year old and 1 year old.

Which may be why I'm so irrational about mine and the kids sleep... As rest is at a premium at the moment

elephantspoo Mon 01-Dec-14 21:26:28

If I paid for a delivery on a Saturday before 6pm, I'd not be answering the door at 9.45pm. I'd get the delivery whenever and claim the refund from the company I ordered the goods from for failure to comply with the contracted terms, and I'd warn them that if they didn't provide the refund of the shipping I'd recover the money by chargeback from my credit card. Given the choice, I suspect they'd refund and apologise rather than suffer the costs levied upon them by the credit card chargeback.

ThereIsACarInTheKitchen Mon 01-Dec-14 21:41:41

I can honestly say this has never happened to me before. I always get my deliveries during the day.

YANBU though. This would annoy me.

RedToothBrush Mon 01-Dec-14 21:56:04

Amazon?

Their own logistics have started doing deliveries at weekends and in the evenings. I don't know of any others who are delivering that late. They do say they will deliver in evenings. (But don't give time slots)

usualsuspect333 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:00:39

I'd be quite happy to get a delivery at that time of night.

I work in the day so it's ideal for me.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Mon 01-Dec-14 22:06:53

I do sympathise. ExP is a courier. The problem is that they get sent out of a morning with too many parcels to deliver before 6pm. Imagine trying to get round 150 houses in 8 hours. Then, if they don't get them all done, they just get pushed back to the following day and then they have another 150 plus the 20 they carried over from the previous day and they're even more behind before they've even left the depot.
There just aren't enough couriers out there (probably because they get paid a pittance and are treated pretty shabbily by the companies they work for).

FlyingByTheSeatof Mon 01-Dec-14 22:23:48

This has never happened to me but tbh I would not be thinking about myself in this situation but how the poor delivery driver has had to work so late just to deliver my parcel that day and the fact it's late because he's been stuck in traffic etc to then be possibly shouted at or whatever by someone who thinks it's too late which it is, but not exactly his direct fault. I'd be grateful though it had arrived that day and that I hadn't had to out and get it myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now