Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not like my new sofa?

(28 Posts)
Nativity3 Mon 01-Dec-14 18:36:42

I love the smell of leather usually. It's leather but has a hideous smell. Very artificial and just disgusting, to the point that I can't be in the room. It's making me gag. I do have a sensitive sense of smell but not had this issue before.
Dp is furious and keeps shouting at me like I'm a child because he can't smell it and doesn't see the problem. We've tried blankets but the smell is coming through them.

I'm not making a fuss, or saying it has to go back, just that I can't be in the room till the smell has gone.

He sees this as me making a 'protest' and getting cross with me even though it was my money that bought them.

Anything I can do to get rid of the smell? I really don't even know how to describe it, it's not a leathery in any way. confused

Varya Mon 01-Dec-14 18:39:06

bump

sassytheFIRST Mon 01-Dec-14 18:40:31

Are you pregnant? We laid laminate in our living room in first couple of weeks of a pg of mine and it stank to me. No one else could smell a thing. Good news is it was fine once my nausea subsided.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Mon 01-Dec-14 18:41:41

Use a leather cleaner on it (I got one from Kleeneze that was nice) - it freshens up the smell on ours - I need to do it once a month as ours has a peculiar smell too - it has not gone, we have had it over a year.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Mon 01-Dec-14 18:42:09

(and I am not pregnant!)

PresidentTwonk Mon 01-Dec-14 18:43:20

I think the sofa is the least of your problems to be honest! I'd advise using a leather cleaner and giving it a clean and then open all windows in the room and even other windows/back door etc to clear the house of the smell. I'm aware it's cold but could be worth it.

Though if you really want my advise I'd give 'd'p the sofa as his leaving present grin

Nativity3 Mon 01-Dec-14 18:45:04

I'm definitely not pregnant! I will go shopping for leather cleaner tomorrow's be pray it has effect.

Nativity3 Mon 01-Dec-14 18:45:32

Tomorrow and pray it has an effect *

ILoveSimonCowell Mon 01-Dec-14 19:04:50

Silly question.... I used to hate the smell of new cars (inside the car). It used to make me gag and give me a headache. Not sure my parents had any actual leather in the cars they bought. Is it that sort of smell?

SophiaPetrillo Mon 01-Dec-14 19:05:52

Can I ask what it smells like if it doesn't smell of leather? Have they sold you a plastic one on the fly OP?

Hatespiders Mon 01-Dec-14 19:33:41

Was it by any chance Made In China? Ours is and had a very peculiar un-leathery smell for several weeks. Happy to reassure you it faded away eventually. I wonder if they use strange tanning chemicals for leather in China?

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 01-Dec-14 19:47:36

The smell will wear off in a few weeks. Your DP sounds like an arsehole though. Hth.

roalddahl Mon 01-Dec-14 19:50:25

Get your DP to treat it with saddle soap? I used to LOVE the smell when we cleaned the horse tack with it. It's making me feel quite nostalgic now!

roalddahl Mon 01-Dec-14 19:52:18

Ooops no scrap that advleather.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/why-not-use-saddle-soap-on-my-leather.html just buy the saddle soap to sniff when you're near the sofa!

iggymama Mon 01-Dec-14 20:15:14

Could the smell be coming from the foam inside the cushions?

If they come off maybe you could air them outside for a while. I had latex pillows that had a strong chemical smell, it eventually faded but took a few weeks.

Cauliflowersneeze1 Mon 01-Dec-14 20:17:51

Bugger , I always use saddle soap on mine , it's the best

Hatespiders Mon 01-Dec-14 20:19:42

Ah yes Iggy! I seem to remember that manufacturers sometimes use anti-fungal preparations on furniture stuffing and it has a chemical smell.

JulietBravoJuliet Mon 01-Dec-14 20:25:09

I always clean my leather suite with saddle soap, then treat with neatsfoot oil. I used to happily put in on my £1,000 saddle, so I'm not too worried about my second hand £30 suite grin Not sure I'd use it on a brand new one though in case it damages it and invalidates the guarantee.

BeyondTheTreelights Mon 01-Dec-14 20:33:41

Random possibly dopey question... Is it possible that its not cow leather? I used to have a camel leather handbag, and the smell of it was disgusting.

Hatespiders Mon 01-Dec-14 20:36:21

Hahaha Treelights, I once bought a goatskin rug in the bazaar in Istanbul. My God that thing stank for years. Even the cats wouldn't sleep on it.

carlywurly Mon 01-Dec-14 20:36:46

I know what you mean. We went to marrakech and the stench of the leather quarter of the souk was bloody horrible.

This thread has also just reminded me that I had a zara pigskin jacket I had to get rid of as the odd smell never quite went.

Hope it eases soon smile

carlywurly Mon 01-Dec-14 20:37:34

Excellent cross post with hate spiders. Istanbul was next on my list..! grin

Hatespiders Mon 01-Dec-14 20:39:14

They use dung and urine to 'cure' the leather in Morocco. (And probably in Istanbul too!)

waithorse Mon 01-Dec-14 20:39:29

I've heard that about camel leather. Sounds awful op. sad

NewNamePlease Mon 01-Dec-14 20:40:25

It would be cow hide for a sofa tealights if it was bought from a uk chain. Other leathers would be more expensive and not big enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now